Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My take on return to the UK

My take on return to the UK

Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice
Default My take on return to the UK

Having been in Australia for five years and due to changing family circumstances and the favourable exchange rate......we decided it was time to return. Initially we loved Australia but I did have a hard time finding work, I think this was due to the area we lived. I did lots of casual jobs and about a year before our return I found a job I loved. We didn't have a mortgage and we had more disposable income than we had ever had. We were pretty happy.

We had left three grown up single children in the UK and over the years they had formed relationships and decided to have their own children so we were in a position of shall we return or shan't we. After much deliberation we decided that although we loved living here, we felt that we couldn't see ourselves growing old here. The pull of family was getting stronger, grandchildren we hadn't seen, parents getting older, daughter's wedding etc etc.

Anyway we left our jobs, packed up, sorted the dogs ready for their return, sold the house and off we went. We had to travel for five weeks around Australia with two dogs as certain members of our family in the UK that could of helped, decided not to which delayed our return, cost us a lot of money and added to the stress. This did make me question our return. Anyway we returned to the UK in July and so far things have been sort of ok.

The family side of things have been up and down. Living in Australia we didn't have to put up with the family shite which I have to admit was a bloody bonus. Yes it's nice to see the grandchildren but as selfish as it sounds I much preferred not having to deal with the family issues!

Things I've found on the positive side:

Pubs.....loving the old pubs, atmosphere, log fires etc.

Sense of humour.....British beats Australia hands down.

Beauty.....taken for granted....maybe....but the countryside is beautiful and the old market towns are gorgeous.

Nice to be with people that "get you"

Able to take the dogs on a long country walk without worrying about being bitten by snakes, killer ticks etc.

Cheaper and better shopping.

Negative side:
Doom and gloom....haven't read a newspaper since being back and don't really watch much news but the brits love to moan.

Job situation not great, there seem to be a lot of jobs advertised but a lot of applicants per job.

House prices are ok but people that bought in the boom are still thinking they can make a profit so unwilling to drop on price as don't want to lose money.

Houses are tiny and every bugger seems to think it's ok to pave the garden! WTF!

Phone signal is shite! When we were traveling around Oz we were always able to get 3G. Not here....I only have to go in Waitrose and no signal!

We had to wait 5 weeks to get internet connection! We had to go down to the local cafe every day to get on the internet as they had free wifi.

Weather...hasn't really bothered me that much but must admit the grey sky does grate a little bit!

Was it worth it.......not sure yet. I will let you know when I decide.......
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice
Default Re: My take on return to the UK

Add on...they are currently playing wanted down under on BBC at the moment. What a load of shite that is.... how naive are these people! Yeah we surf all the time, don't work and the wages and houses are amazing. What they don't say is that you work 40 plus hours per week, watch tele every night, shopping at the weekend. Same as UK but the sun shines more!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

What a nice refreshing post, you are in a wonderful part of the country, I love the Cotswolds.
It's funny because I am labelled a 'hater' by some on here but that couldn't be further from the truth. I have lived in both countries for almost equal amounts of time and truly love both in different ways. For us the UK is going to offer us more, for others it is the opposite.
The ironic thing is that we are hopefully going to be able to have a bigger house back in the UK, many of your other points I agree with.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:52 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I have come to realise in my 5 years overseas that I miss my family and it hurts, but I am generally happier missing them.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Intersting post. These are the things we have to think about over the next month and decide on if we return to the UK.

Job area doesnt concern me as it will stay doing the same job i do now.

Do worry about the weather.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Weather for the past couple of months where I have been (mainly south east but up as far as the North of Scotland) has been fabulous. On Monday the girls and I went for lunch and we ate outside in the sunshine wearing t shirts (and no flies either!). I have been amazed at the number of days where there has been sunshine and clear blue skies - guess I was expecting the drab grey because that is what everyone tells me it always is! I am expecting a cold winter so it wont come as any surprise!

Positives for me are
Courteous drivers
The NHS (with parents having 3 ambulances and hospital visits between them +after care rehab services)
The variety of things to do/see/buy/ all within a small radius

The negatives are
The impending restrictions of caring for two slightly cantankerous elderly parents
Waving goodbye to the smiliest little granddaughter yesterday as she (and her parents and sister!) went on the bus to Heathrow to return to Australia (mind you, I resented their intrusion into our lives in Canberra as they lived on our block - looks like I wont be getting too much 'me' time in retirement anyway)

OP, hope your return goes well - dont read the papers, it makes for a much less gloomier outlook!!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:54 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I have come to realise in my 5 years overseas that I miss my family and it hurts, but I am generally happier missing them.
Great line, I'm sure a lot of people will be able to relate
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boobops
We had to travel for five weeks around Australia with two dogs as certain members of our family in the UK that could of helped, decided not to which delayed our return, cost us a lot of money and added to the stress. This did make me question our return. Anyway we returned to the UK in July and so far things have been sort of ok.

The family side of things have been up and down. Living in Australia we didn't have to put up with the family shite which I have to admit was a bloody bonus. Yes it's nice to see the grandchildren but as selfish as it sounds I much preferred not having to deal with the family issues!
I hope you don't mind me asking, because family issues always seem to be a major problem when emigrating. Was the reason you traveled around Australia for five weeks due in part to the same relatives that gave you aggro when you first told them you were emigrating to Oz? That is, if they gave you any aggro to start off with. Mine did and so did nearly everyone elses.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Great line, I'm sure a lot of people will be able to relate
Someone has to use that as a signature .... "Happier mssing than living with my family"
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Weather for the past couple of months where I have been (mainly south east but up as far as the North of Scotland) has been fabulous. On Monday the girls and I went for lunch and we ate outside in the sunshine wearing t shirts (and no flies either!). I have been amazed at the number of days where there has been sunshine and clear blue skies - guess I was expecting the drab grey because that is what everyone tells me it always is! I am expecting a cold winter so it wont come as any surprise!

Positives for me are
Courteous drivers
The NHS (with parents having 3 ambulances and hospital visits between them +after care rehab services)
The variety of things to do/see/buy/ all within a small radius

The negatives are
The impending restrictions of caring for two slightly cantankerous elderly parents
Waving goodbye to the smiliest little granddaughter yesterday as she (and her parents and sister!) went on the bus to Heathrow to return to Australia (mind you, I resented their intrusion into our lives in Canberra as they lived on our block - looks like I wont be getting too much 'me' time in retirement anyway)

OP, hope your return goes well - dont read the papers, it makes for a much less gloomier outlook!!
Hey Quoll... Can you go and do this for me and tell me what it's like please

Just up the road really. I want to give it a go... It'll take your mind of the elderly rellies .

Enjoy yourself in the UK
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boobops
Having been in Australia for five years and due to changing family circumstances and the favourable exchange rate......we decided it was time to return. Initially we loved Australia but I did have a hard time finding work, I think this was due to the area we lived. I did lots of casual jobs and about a year before our return I found a job I loved. We didn't have a mortgage and we had more disposable income than we had ever had. We were pretty happy.

We had left three grown up single children in the UK and over the years they had formed relationships and decided to have their own children so we were in a position of shall we return or shan't we. After much deliberation we decided that although we loved living here, we felt that we couldn't see ourselves growing old here. The pull of family was getting stronger, grandchildren we hadn't seen, parents getting older, daughter's wedding etc etc.

Anyway we left our jobs, packed up, sorted the dogs ready for their return, sold the house and off we went. We had to travel for five weeks around Australia with two dogs as certain members of our family in the UK that could of helped, decided not to which delayed our return, cost us a lot of money and added to the stress. This did make me question our return. Anyway we returned to the UK in July and so far things have been sort of ok.

Things I've found on the positive side:

Pubs.....loving the old pubs, atmosphere, log fires etc.

Sense of humour.....British beats Australia hands down.

Beauty.....taken for granted....maybe....but the countryside is beautiful and the old market towns are gorgeous.

Nice to be with people that "get you"

Able to take the dogs on a long country walk without worrying about being bitten by snakes, killer ticks etc.

Cheaper and better shopping.

Negative side:
Doom and gloom....haven't read a newspaper since being back and don't really watch much news but the brits love to moan.

Job situation not great, there seem to be a lot of jobs advertised but a lot of applicants per job.

House prices are ok but people that bought in the boom are still thinking they can make a profit so unwilling to drop on price as don't want to lose money.

Houses are tiny and every bugger seems to think it's ok to pave the garden! WTF!

Phone signal is shite! When we were traveling around Oz we were always able to get 3G. Not here....I only have to go in Waitrose and no signal!

We had to wait 5 weeks to get internet connection! We had to go down to the local cafe every day to get on the internet as they had free wifi.

Weather...hasn't really bothered me that much but must admit the grey sky does grate a little bit!

Was it worth it.......not sure yet. I will let you know when I decide.......
Good post...etc etc...

Focus on the positives.

It's your life, you make it. Some people will take you to task over details you have said, 'blue sky/grey sky', 'log fire' 'no log fire' ...mobile phone reception...the possibilities are endless....but we all get different deals.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Just up the road really. I want to give it a go... It'll take your mind of the elderly rellies .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RXozxnhp9Ck

Enjoy yourself in the UK
Might pass on that one! It certainly would take my mind off the rellies (and everything else I should think!)
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:50 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RXozxnhp9Ck

Enjoy yourself in the UK
Go and do the real thing,it's the ultimate thrill
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Go and do the real thing,it's the ultimate thrill

Might work up to it. Gained a fear of heights here in Aus... after climbing up one of those big concrete Wheat Silos you see through NSW. What I didnt realise before agreeing on the tour, was not only how high they go also the fact that inside they only have those thin iron ladders with see through metal mesh platforms at every turn... Hence when you get up really high near the conveyor belt and your jumping across gaps big enough to fall through... you can see right through the metal mesh platforms to the ground. I didnt notice myself getting worried until all of a sudden I just froze.

Been dodgy with heights since that day... and never had bother with them before that day.

So I really may give that Skydiving thing a go... just to see if I can take the next step.

Sorry for the digression to thread.... but it is part of life in Aus... Country wheat silos I mean LOL

Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Might work up to it. Gained a fear of heights here in Aus... after climbing up one of those big concrete Wheat Silos you see through NSW. What I didnt realise before agreeing on the tour, was not only how high they go also the fact that inside they only have those thin iron ladders with see through metal mesh platforms at every turn... Hence when you get up really high near the conveyor belt and your jumping across gaps big enough to fall through... you can see right through the metal mesh platforms to the ground. I didnt notice myself getting worried until all of a sudden I just froze.

Been dodgy with heights since that day... and never had bother with them before that day.

So I really may give that Skydiving thing a go... just to see if I can take the next step.

Sorry for the digression to thread.... but it is part of life in Aus... Country wheat silos I mean LOL

The guy who ran the company Tiddler jumped with, in fact he was her partner is terrified of heights but jumps about 5 times a day, nearly every day. It's a different kind of height. It has to be done, it's awesome.

Sorry OP, great post, hope the move works out, and 'things' settle down for you. Another one who loves the line about missing family. So true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.