Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My take on OZ, 6 months in.

Wikiposts

My take on OZ, 6 months in.

Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My take on OZ, 6 months in.

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Cranni....no need to shout m8. Fuffy can hear ya

Jeez.....I can hear ya .............and we're in Brisbane
omg
does it sound as if im shouting, I must need a drink, this is all getting too serious for me, off to clean the loos.
love you all xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Slightly off topic but we got 1 kid whos baptised Catholic and a baby we havent done yet as we aint exactly followed the faith, from a good schooling point of view is it wise to be catholic and get in the catholic schools there or are they no better than anything else?
Old Feb 16th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Why does it get to you?

Buying Australian made is very important to Aussies. We're a small country with a tiny population base; consequently, we need to protect our local industries and keep as much consumer money inside our economy as possible.

Over the years, Australians have watched in despair as huge multinationals have come over and bought out local companies which had traditionally provided many jobs for Australians, and generated a great deal of wealth for the nation. It's a standard pattern; foreign companies come in, buy successful Australian companies at bargain-basement prices (due to the strength of the pound and the greenback against the Aussie dollar), sack a ton of staff, jack up the prices, and repatriate all the profits out of the country.

Kraft and Arnotts are classic examples; both Australian born and bred, but later taken over by American companies. It really gets on my nerves to think that a bunch of Yanks are making billions from two former Australian icons.

In the UK, it's just as bad. Rover was Britain's last British-owned car company, and she went belly-up last year with job losses of around 6,000 in the West Midlands alone. Just stop for a moment and ask yourself what sort of impact that's going to have on the economy.

Thanks largely to the efforts of Margaret Thatcher, Britain is a graveyard of extinct production and manufacturing industries. I don't want to see Australian ending up like that.

Buying Australian generates millions of dollars, helps to protect thousands of jobs, and reduces the foreign trade deficit. The figures from Ausbuy are impressive:

The accepted figure used by the Government sponsored ISO offices is that for every $1 million of orders placed in Australia 30 full time jobs are created; this rate is conservative.

Example, if an engineering business in a town gets a contract for $1 million of work then much of the wage paid to the staff will be spent in the town, thus creating other jobs. This is called the multiplier effect .

Using the conservative rate of $1 million of Australian purchases creates 30 full time jobs; that is, $1 billion creates 30,000 full time jobs. Money saved of $28 billion at 30,000 jobs per $billion means we create 840,000 new full-time jobs, but say conservative of 500,000.
Source.

That's why weAustralians are keen to talk up home-grown products, and support home-grown companies. Never mind the flag-waving; it's just good economic sense.
What ever gave you the idea that Kraft comes from Australia
Old Feb 17th 2006, 12:05 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
In my opinion, kids go to school NOT just to learn academic subjects, but to learn about 'life', social skills and how to become a 'fine, upstanding member of a community'. Bog cleaning is an excellent way of teaching kids more about their actions and the responsibilities they must take for them!

As for them picking up bugs.....ever spared a thought for the lowly paid cleaner that is expected to do the same job? Never mind the bugs they might pick up!
Robert I've missed you!

Is that a number 1 action or number 2 action?

Sorry, never spared a thought about the cleaner, that's their job.

Have you any kids Fluffy?

Rich
Old Feb 17th 2006, 12:30 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cranni
i WOULD CLEAN THE LOO , NOT A PROBLEM. BUT NO WAY WOULD MY KIDS GO TO SCHOOL AND BE EXPECTED TO CLEAN LOOS, WHETHER IT TEACHES THEM LIFE SKILLS OR NOT, I WILL TEACH THEM LIFE SKILLS HERE AT HOME.
I WANT MORE FOR MY KIDS, NO OFFENCE TO ANY LOO CLEANER, IVE DONE IT IN THE PAST,
Exactly!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:03 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Robert I've missed you!

Is that a number 1 action or number 2 action?

Sorry, never spared a thought about the cleaner, that's their job.

Have you any kids Fluffy?

Rich
Nope and none planned!!!
However, if I did, they would be cleaning my bog as soon as they could stand up to reach their tiny little hands inside it!
Character building I tell you!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:07 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Nope and none planned!!!
However, if I did, they would be cleaning my bog as soon as they could stand up to reach their tiny little hands inside it!
Character building I tell you!
Awww always figured you'd make a lovely father

Missed ya mate
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:10 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by possoms
Awww always figured you'd make a lovely father

Missed ya mate
Just not to any children.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

People have to whine - it's hard-wired into them. What we're talking about here is a great opportunity and still people whine. Most Brits living in Australia left a crappy two bed terrace with a garden the size of a postage stamp and nowhere to park, and when in Australia they wind up with a three or four bed detached place maybe even with a pool and a double car port, etc. Let's be honest - a lifestyle they could never afford in the UK.

Oh, but how quickly they get used to it! And then the whining about the price of carrots begins. Yes, that's right! They sit in their enormous new house which they would never have been able to have in the UK (doomed forever to life in the aforementioned crappy two bed terrace) and whinge about the price of vegetables.

My suggestion to these folks is: emigrate to Utopia.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
People have to whine - it's hard-wired into them. What we're talking about here is a great opportunity and still people whine. Most Brits living in Australia left a crappy two bed terrace with a garden the size of a postage stamp and nowhere to park, and when in Australia they wind up with a three or four bed detached place maybe even with a pool and a double car port, etc. Let's be honest - a lifestyle they could never afford in the UK.

Oh, but how quickly they get used to it! And then the whining about the price of carrots begins. Yes, that's right! They sit in their enormous new house which they would never have been able to have in the UK (doomed forever to life in the aforementioned crappy two bed terrace) and whinge about the price of vegetables.

How much is lettuce in Utopia??
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
How much is lettuce in Utopia??
It's free of course...
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It's free of course...

I'm off there then, can't beat a freebie
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:35 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

shit what do i do then?? :scared:
ii already have a four bedroomed house two bathrooms and a large drive for three motors and a huge garden

can i book into Utopia as well
Old Feb 17th 2006, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
shit what do i do then?? :scared:
ii already have a four bedroomed house two bathrooms and a large drive for three motors and a huge garden

can i book into Utopia as well
Got too much money m8, that's your problem
Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: My take on OZ, 6 months in.

Im waiting for my visa app, and I won't whinge if I make it over! can't stand the bloody whinging!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.