My son is 19

Old May 19th 2003, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

swifty is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy My son is 19

Did anyone have problems with their application when one of their children was over 18.
If so how did you get round it.
An agent told us that we must show dependance. how exactly should we do that
Old May 19th 2003, 7:25 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: My son is 19

Originally posted by swifty
Did anyone have problems with their application when one of their children was over 18.
If so how did you get round it.
An agent told us that we must show dependance. how exactly should we do that
My son is 18 but at college. I obtained a copy of his enrolment form to prove that he is in education and therefore 'dependant'.
Old May 19th 2003, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

stone6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a son of 18 and a son of 20, both at college and sent in their enrollment forms, but beware! at the very last stage they will ask for up to date proof they are students/dependant as it is their situation at time of grant that counts not time of application.

hope this helps

Vicki
Old May 20th 2003, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

swifty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Children in college

Originally posted by stone6
I had a son of 18 and a son of 20, both at college and sent in their enrollment forms, but beware! at the very last stage they will ask for up to date proof they are students/dependant as it is their situation at time of grant that counts not time of application.

hope this helps

Vicki
Do you know if they require full time courses or could part time courses be enough while they earn income part time
Old May 20th 2003, 5:18 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

hope this helps

Vicki

Vicki,
I read this post with interest, but to some extent bewilderment. Is this a personal experience that has actually happened to you or something you have been told by somebody else?

Surely it is possible that a student could finish a college course in England, and start another in Oz. In-between time he would not technically be a dependent.

Furthermore it is likely that any student/dependent will finish a course before emigration, and would therefore become 'independent'. If he chooses not to continue with education in Oz, but enter into the workplace upon arrival then, so what?

Please reply with more info, this would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 20th 2003, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point

hope this helps

Vicki
Interested in your comment about students being dependant 'at the time of grant'
We have received 'approval in principle' for perminant residence to nz. (have to transfer settlement funds before pr is granted) Does this mean that they will check again to see if my son is still 'depentant' before they will stamp our passports??
Old May 20th 2003, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

stone6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chippy/Swifty

It is from personal experience. After we had sent in medicals police checks etc, we recieved a letter from AHC asking for up to date proof our sons were in full time education. (The enrolment forms, reciepts etc were dated sept it was now June.) I phoned the college and asked for letters which stated name, date of birth, course attended full time and start and finish dates ( it was now only I week till end of term) I sent them in AHC recieved them on the friday, grant letter received by us on the tuesday but dated the friday. so that was the last piece of info needed before grant. Our agent always said prooving dependancy would be the biggest hurdle.

I am pretty certain it has to be a full time course but don't know about part time jobs.

There is no stipulation that they need to continue in education whilst in oz just at time decision is made. It seems silly but where do you draw the line.

I will try to look for some more info on the subject. I must admit it was a worry to us as we had read of a family who's daughter (age19) was refused a visa as she didn't re-enrol at college as they had recieved requests for their medicals and thought they were home and dry. The family couldn't re-apply as the father was too old to get enough points. A very sad story.

I will try to look for more info for you

Bryher - sorry don't know anything about NZ

I didn't mean to worry anyone!!!

Vicki

Last edited by stone6; May 20th 2003 at 11:06 pm.