Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My shipping experience with Doree Bonner/Grace

My shipping experience with Doree Bonner/Grace

Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future
Default My shipping experience with Doree Bonner/Grace

Hi

I have had an absolute dire experience with Doree Bonner and Grace. Info on BE has always been a help to me when I was migrating so thought this might be of use.

I moved over to Oz from UK mid last year. Had survey done with DB, all fine. Gave me a quote. Had a few additions to 20" container quote, asked them to come out and requote, they said no thats fine, everything should fit with room to spare.

On day of packing, the packing guys were superb, could not fault them. It was clear when packing container that it was going to be extremely tight in getting everything in. It didn't fit, I was 4 items out, can't remember the exact cu measurement that this came to but marginal. They told me these items would have to be on groupage rates and would cost an additional £300 to send. I argued that I was told I'd have room to spare and that DB didn't want to come out and requote. DB were not in the slightest bit bothered by this and said we can't do anything on the price, if you want it sent, this is what it will cost. I therefore had no choice but to pay.

Was told that I'd be informed of when container would leave so I could track it (I wasn't informed) so had to chase a lot of information from DB. I was told that I'd have to pay another inspection fee for this 2nd shared container. Another expense but was told that this would be shared by all parties of container, was told that there was 11 sharing container so was anticipating marginal extra expense.

When container arrived, all was unpacked by Grace no problems.

When chasing up the groupage items, I was told by Grace, that DB was wrong, although inspection fee is charged for shared container, there is a minimum charge of $150 for inspection fee (I was expecting about $40). Terrific, another expense and balls up by DB so another big inspection fee on top of the one I'd already paid.

One of the items that I had was my wedding bouquet that was freeze dried in a frame. Fully expected this to be quarantined and gamma treated which it was. Grace charged me an additional $350 for this which I felt was really excessive but they said this was due to the transport of item to supplier, transport out to me etc.

Received this item a couple of weeks ago, open the box to find the frame is diagonally in the box in a box which was far too big for item. Had one sheet of wrapping paper on it. Had damage to flowers/leaves in the frame which is clear that frame has been shaking about in the box that it was put in.

Phoned up to complain. I was told that there was damage to item already when they received it. My answer to this was, well why didn't you tell me as I had numerous phone calls to you at the time about this. Felt this was a cop out from them.

They also said 'well its only a bit of damage', well thats ok then isn't it Great comment from a removal company!!!

Sent another email regarding that I'm really unhappy with this, they weren't bothered, made up more crap that of course damage is going to occur when flowers are removed from frame (yes, that might be the case, but the flowers weren't removed from the frame!!) and that the depot packed it as best they could. Yeah, as single piece of paper over glass frame with fragile flowers in really big box is really adequate protection.

:curse:rant over!! I sincerely wish that I hadn't used them, particularly as I've incurred extra costs and unnecessary damage along the way. Shame as removal guys were great but both companies do not seem to be interested in any issues that you may have. Caused a lot of extra stress in an already stressful situation. To add it all, I've got unnecessary damage to an item that has great sentimental value. Hope this helps if you're looking at shipping quotes.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My shipping experience with Doree Bonner/Grace

Thanks for the info.

I have had Doree Bonner come and quote for a move. They have based their quote on 770cu ft, the other 3 companies have claculated 530-580 cu ft. Doesn't fill me with much confidence about Doree Bonner.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
Thanks for the info.

I have had Doree Bonner come and quote for a move. They have based their quote on 770cu ft, the other 3 companies have claculated 530-580 cu ft. Doesn't fill me with much confidence about Doree Bonner.
There have been plenty on BE that have been positive about DB and its partner Grace, hence why I used them myself. I'm just unlucky that I've had the problems I've had. Every Company has problems but I'd be more encouraged to use them if you knew that if there were problems, that they would take them seriously. DB/Grace have just not been bothered.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Interesting about your bouquet. Mine was freeze dried also. No charge and no radiation needed. It was even personally delivered back to me by an AQIS employee as it had to be separated from our shipment (they couldn't find it when checking the whole shipment so we had to locate it as our delivery folk unpacked the van and they took it back to AQIS.) Methinks you have been charged for an unnecessary procedure.

Last edited by Iwannabethere; Jan 21st 2011 at 10:02 am. Reason: Ooops. Caps Lock
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

I have to agree Doree Bonner are a pile of SH*T they too quoted one price and charged us another. The guys that packed our container could hardly speak English and they packed Bins with rubbish in (that they were told weren't going) black bin bags that were out for the rubbish a coal scuttle complete with coal and our cats and shoes which we were using while still in the UK. We were also told they would be with us for two days but got a called late on the first day and told us they could only come back the next day for a couple of hours much of our stuff went on the container unpacked we being told it would be packed at the depot.

Our dealings with them after that day were terrible and very stressful. We used them because there was some good reports on here about them (maybe their own staff posting )

We ping ponged and so will soon be packing again as we are now going back Oz later this year, the one thing I do know we won't be using Doree Bonner.

chrissystevo I hope you are able to put it behind you and start enjoying your new life.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
Interesting about your bouquet. Mine was freeze dried also. No charge and no radiation needed. It was even personally delivered back to me by an AQIS employee as it had to be separated from our shipment (they couldn't find it when checking the whole shipment so we had to locate it as our delivery folk unpacked the van and they took it back to AQIS.) Methinks you have been charged for an unnecessary procedure.
thats annoying to hear. I even double checked with AQIS upon arrival as I'd already informed them about the process it had gone under, had been in frame over 10 years etc. chances are there are no bugs in there!! Nothing I can do now, AQIS wanted the treatment carried out, Grace carried it out and just put it in a large box with a piece of paper over it which constituted their 'packing it as best they could'. Needless to say, bouquet of flowers rattling around in a big box gets damaged
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice

It's not good what has happened to you and if I were you I would have posted too....

However I have used DB and Grace twice and have not had one single problem from start to finish

I suppose all companies will have good and bad reviews which is not helpful when deciding who to use, seems it is a bit of a lottery!

Good luck with getting everything sorted and make sure you carry your complaint through

Xx
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing! I know who we won't be using!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:21 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

We used Doree Bonner and then had Grace on this end, and had just a single broken glass in our 40ft container.

We found them to be excellent from start to finish.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
We used Doree Bonner and then had Grace on this end, and had just a single broken glass in our 40ft container.

We found them to be excellent from start to finish.
I'll second and third that
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

We used Doree's too. My only real complaint was lack of communication from them. We never got a tracking code & had to keep ringing them to find out where our stuff was. We also had to small items damaged but in the grand scheme of things it was nothing really.

Both Doree & Pickfords over estimated by about the same amount so when the container was packed our fees actually came down as we didn't use as much space as quoted. We'd have bought more stuff with us if we'd know how much they'd over estimated but that would have been the same with which ever company we'd gone with.

The guys in the UK who packed were lovely & very helpful. I honestly couldn't fault them, they really put me at ease as I was stressing a lot when they arrived. Again at this end the guys from Grace were great, very friendly & helpful.

We were recommended Doree's by friends who moved from the same area as us in the UK to the same area here. So may be the area you live in makes a difference on the experience as well.

Alison x
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I used Doree Bonner and Grace Removals too, they were very helpful and did the job very quickly, mind you I only had 100 cu feet not a container, DB did say the freight would take 12 weeks to get to Australia, it ended up taking 4 months as they were holding it to pack a shared container, but as it turns out this worked out better for me in the end.

Oh and I was told by DB in the UK that there would be a $150.00 charge to be paid in Australia for the AQIS inspection, so no surprises there then.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: My shipping experience with Doree Bonner/Grace

Allied Pickfords were great. They quoted one price, which I accepted. Then, one week before we were due to fly out, I phoned their sales rep and pushed him down by another £400.

Details of our experience with AP at both ends of the move can be found here, here and here.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 22nd 2011 at 9:05 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by edie209
they packed Bins with rubbish in (that they were told weren't going) black bin bags that were out for the rubbish a coal scuttle complete with coal and our cats and shoes which we were using while still in the UK.
chrissystevo I hope you are able to put it behind you and start enjoying your new life.
I do so hope you meant COATS and shoes.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Now that would have been bad

I glad to others had a good experience, just unlucky I guess we did use them because of the good reports on here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.