Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:48 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My research on 7 seater passenger vehicles available in Australia

I thought the same about the handles etc. But after using them and some thought I think they are ok, it's the silver painted finish which gives the cheap feel. They are as substantial as my old citroen etc.

With a 5 year warranty and unlimited milage theyre not a worry.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
OK, the Landy and Patrol would beat the Mitsi on hard core off road ability. If money was no object (and my Mrs could park it) the Land Cruiser wins every time. I've owned a Nissan in the UK - Terrano, it wasn't that great and from what I read Nissan's generally have more problems than the Tojos.

I reckon the Pajero is a good compromise of off road ability, reliability and practicality.
The wife put me on to this thread so blame her

Right I would agree to the Toylota being top of the list of 4x4s to buy, purely for their ability to not break and size, but the Nissan Patrol as an off road monster is just as if not more capable in some areas.

I recall reading an article in an Aussie mag at work that told of two land cruisers, one a 40 series and one an 80 series travelling to Cairns to climb the Creb track. Now the creb track north of Cairns was amde by the electricity board to maintain the power lines and goes straight up the side of the mountain and is mecca for off road drivers. The two owners of the land cruisers were met by a guy who fly to Cairns and picked up a brand spankin new Patrol, off they all went and drove to Cook town via the creb track.

Now these guys are jernos and all of them including the land cruiser owners said that the Patrol was the best truck on the day, and it was on road tyres and not set up for serious off roading.

Don't discount the Landrover as they have sorted out the reliability problems and they are the best off road vehicle in the world bar non, don't listen the the Aussies they will say Toyota everyday and nothing else.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:32 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Having fun trying to get deals on the santa fe slx in qld.. got prices from 43,500 with lots of extras to 54,000 with no extras, so it pays to ring around
Old May 14th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the best place to buy a used Prado in Perth ?
Old May 14th 2007, 5:52 pm

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Any new thoughts on this thread?

We have number 3 child arriving early next year so the Mazda 6 simply won't suffice

So far we have test driven:

Mitsubuishi Pajero - liked it
Landrover Discovery 3 - loved it - very smooth and genuine 7 seater in that the 2 rear seats have actual foot wells. But, very expensive on servicing and parts here in WA. I think it also has anchorage points on the rear seats for child seats
Toyota Prado - very sluggish but it was a diesel
Jeep Commander - felt like an armoured vehicle, lovely and safe

Not sure whether or not to try any of the people carriers?? Any advice on these? We will need at least 3 anchorage points for car seats - do the PC's have these on rear seats?

Have not heard anything good safety wise on Kias, Fords, Holdens.........and my husband won't even look at them anyway
We have a 2003 Mitsubishi Shogun (Pajero) over here and three kids (14,11,9) to lug around. Whilst it is a powerful 4x4, we won't be buying one in Oz as it just isn't roomy enough for the three kids, and the third row are certainly not for adults! I think, especially with kids that are going to grow you'll be needing to put them in individual seats rather than just spread out across the back row - They also tend to argue about who has the window seat:curse:

We are looking at the Chrysler Grand Voyager, as like you want all three rows with 3 point seat belts. Certainly from about 2002 onwards, they have them and you can fit adults in all rows as well as having enough room for luggage/dogs in the back. My concern with the Toyota was that the rear two rows of seats are bench seats and I think are much harder to negotiate when getting in and out of the car. Also not sure whether they have the 3 point seat belts on all rows.

We are also concerned about the safety record and longevity of the car as well and would rather 'pay out' a little more to begin with. A policewoman friend said that people she new rolled several times ind a Voyager and all of them got out without a scratch!

Hope this helps

Sarah
Old May 14th 2007, 5:54 pm

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nic938
Hi Buzzy

Would you mind emailing your spreadsheet for me as for some reason when I click on it it won't come up.

Thanks

Nikki
Ditto

Thanks
Old May 14th 2007, 6:01 pm

Don't know if it's on the speadsheet as I can't download it to read but is the New Renault Grand Scenic on there? I had a look at the Oz Renault website and it looks like a very versatile car.

Sarah
Old May 14th 2007, 6:48 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraho
We have a 2003 Mitsubishi Shogun (Pajero) over here and three kids (14,11,9) to lug around. Whilst it is a powerful 4x4, we won't be buying one in Oz as it just isn't roomy enough for the three kids, and the third row are certainly not for adults! I think, especially with kids that are going to grow you'll be needing to put them in individual seats rather than just spread out across the back row - They also tend to argue about who has the window seat:curse:

We are looking at the Chrysler Grand Voyager, as like you want all three rows with 3 point seat belts. Certainly from about 2002 onwards, they have them and you can fit adults in all rows as well as having enough room for luggage/dogs in the back. My concern with the Toyota was that the rear two rows of seats are bench seats and I think are much harder to negotiate when getting in and out of the car. Also not sure whether they have the 3 point seat belts on all rows.

We are also concerned about the safety record and longevity of the car as well and would rather 'pay out' a little more to begin with. A policewoman friend said that people she new rolled several times ind a Voyager and all of them got out without a scratch!

Hope this helps

Sarah
Unfortunately In Oz the Chrysler only comes in petrol, whereas in the UK it only comes in Diesel.

Buzzy