Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

my little girl has diabetes

my little girl has diabetes

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:46 am
Just Joined

LOTTIE271100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my little girl has diabetes

my little girl has diabetes whats the health service like and costs????
somthing to really counter into our costings..
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my little girl has diabetes

If you want to live here permanently you will all need a medical. I don't know if diabetes would fail the medical or not but you need to consider this.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has had diabetes since childhood and she has been looked after very very well. She had a pediatrician who we saw privately and it was not free, he charged over the medicare fee which is normal so were out of pocket about $20 everytime we saw him. Her hospital care was covered by the medicare levy like the NHS so no cost to us other than the levy we pay on wages. I am not sure if diabetic educators charge now. When my daughter turned 15 she left the paed and went to the adolescent clinic at a major hospital here in Melbourne, she attended that clinic until she was 25.

You need to register with a GP and register your daughter with the National Diabetic Scheme so that you can get meters and other equipment cheaper.

Insulin is prescribed in six monthly supply so you would pay about $32.90 to fill the prescription. All insulin in disposable pens these days although I think some people still have injections.

Also join Diabetes Australia and look at their site which will provide all information.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:57 am
Just Joined

LOTTIE271100 is an unknown quantity at this point

so would we fail entrance to oz on this basis?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LOTTIE271100
so would we fail entrance to oz on this basis?
No not necessarily. Do you know what visa you will go for?
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

As to the medical I guess it may depend on the stability of your daughter's condition.

Thankfully my daughter has only spent a couple of weeks in hospital since diagnosis and she has been diabetic for 19 years. The first time was when she was diagnosed and the only other time was when she got gastro and ended up in intensive care due to stopping her insulin.

Diabetes is no different to arthritis or any other chronic condition is controlled and a lot of people have conditions and get visas these days.

Good luck
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I have a small child with diabetes, the care here has been great.

Money wise, if your have Permanent visa you can get $110 carer allowance per fortnight for Type 1 Diabetes children until they reach 16. This is easy to get and just a case of hospital signing the forms. Not like UK carers hassle, Type 1 children is on a special list so its easy to get.

Also we have just got an insulin pump for daughter, and loving it.
If you get health insurance out for your child. Its about $25 per fortnight (basic cover) they will give you a $8000 insulin pump after the 12month waiting period.
However most insulin pump companies have early pump scheme and they will give it to you 6months before it the insurance waiting period is up
They will also replace it with a new one every 4 years.

Ive also gone through the visa medical with 2 kids with serious medical issues. (Not Diabetes)

* You need to get a letter from your hospital consultant and take it with you to the medical.
This should say things like your child is stable but on insulin. That attend school and have an otherwise normal life and should be able to have a productive working life in the future.

Gems