Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My kids don't want to go - help!

My kids don't want to go - help!

Old Jun 8th 2003, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

ellen is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy My kids don't want to go - help!

Hi

we tentatively broached the subject of moving to Aus (hubby is waiting on a job offer) with our two boys - the eldest is 16 and the youngest is 12. They both are not happy about it, particularly my youngest son. He is really stressing himself out about it and there has been loads of tears. He really doesn't want to leave his friends and his school, which of course is upsetting me. I hate to put him through this.

Has anyone else with kids gone through this? How did you cope with it? Did things work out ok?

Ellen
Old Jun 8th 2003, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

gormaymax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My kids don't want to go - help!

Hi,

Have you been over before, and do the boys know what kind of life they will have over there? (good looking girls!)

We have 3 kids (the oldest is 10) this is why we are doing it now, before they hit the teens, as it must be difficult for them, as we just expect them to fall into line. Can't offer any real advice but certainly hope it works out for you, as once they're there I'm sure they'll love the lifestyle.

Good luck,

Andy

Old Jun 8th 2003, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My kids don't want to go - help!

Originally posted by ellen
Hi

we tentatively broached the subject of moving to Aus (hubby is waiting on a job offer) with our two boys - the eldest is 16 and the youngest is 12. They both are not happy about it, particularly my youngest son. He is really stressing himself out about it and there has been loads of tears. He really doesn't want to leave his friends and his school, which of course is upsetting me. I hate to put him through this.

Has anyone else with kids gone through this? How did you cope with it? Did things work out ok?

Ellen
I don't blame them. My kids left Oz in their twenties, with my blessing, and are enjoying life in England. Have you considered that they may be right? Your 12 year old might never recover from the disruption to his education - Oz schooling is inferior to average schooling in Britain.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 7:45 pm
Tej
Just Joined

Tej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids not keen on going

our boys are age 4 and 6
we took the oldest in 98 altho he was only a baby of 14 months then
he ejoys watching the video ofhim, that sort of helps in convincing him, the younger one just follows on what the older one wants

theres a recently published book on life in oz in our libraries
for younger kids ... that really helped alot.

" Dont blame the Koalas" on Chanel 4 every \Sunday
quite bizaare but entertaining kids show- shows aBrit family settling there

Got to try everything really, going for a better life for all the family, our relatives who have emigrated, have no regrets at all

Good luck

Tej
Old Jun 8th 2003, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Our 13 yr old is not too keen at the moment. But app is just in so we have time to wait and see what happens.

footie chick
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:13 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 (5 and 8) are really excited! Might have something to do with the fact that we've promised them a pool in the back garden though.......................
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

If you look back on this forum, I posted an almost identical thread about a month ago.
My children are a lot younger - 8 & 6 - but we had an awful time telling them. My 8yr old never handles change very well anyway, but he was so distraught, I really thought long and hard about carrying on. I feel for you, because they can really emotionally blackmail you.
Things that helped were looking on countless websites about sports he plays here that he will be able to continue over there, hobbies ie cubs and any thing he was interested in really. I got my friends over in Oz to ring up and chat with him, and going to the Essex meetup last week was a big help as he made friends with others going over and helped him get over the 'why me' feeling.
He's really looking forward to going now, and family and friends visiting and calls it the biggest adventure of his life.

Hope it gives you a little bit of hope that things can change.

Lots of love
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by suffolkdiva
Hi.

If you look back on this forum, I posted an almost identical thread about a month ago.
My children are a lot younger - 8 & 6 - but we had an awful time telling them. My 8yr old never handles change very well anyway, but he was so distraught, I really thought long and hard about carrying on. I feel for you, because they can really emotionally blackmail you.
Things that helped were looking on countless websites about sports he plays here that he will be able to continue over there, hobbies ie cubs and any thing he was interested in really. I got my friends over in Oz to ring up and chat with him, and going to the Essex meetup last week was a big help as he made friends with others going over and helped him get over the 'why me' feeling.
He's really looking forward to going now, and family and friends visiting and calls it the biggest adventure of his life.

Hope it gives you a little bit of hope that things can change.

Lots of love
8 year olds are easy to con. 12/16 year olds are more savvy and have more to lose. The people buying kids a present or promising a pool when they get there - this is good parenting? Or is it manipulative?
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

You seem to know the answer to everything Wilf so what is it

Good Parenting? or Manipulative?

fc
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:46 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wilf
8 year olds are easy to con. 12/16 year olds are more savvy and have more to lose. The people buying kids a present or promising a pool when they get there - this is good parenting? Or is it manipulative?
[QUOTE]

neither, it was a joke!
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by h garrett

neither, it was a joke!
I bet you have promised them other things though eh? That is how it works with kids, yeah, but when you are talking about emigrating and changing their whole lives then it is a bit more serious than promising this week's edition of Look-In magazine for cleaning their room. You might be joking, I bet some other people would do it.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:58 pm
Badge

bloody hell I remember Look - In!!!

Old Jun 8th 2003, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ditto

fc
Old Jun 8th 2003, 9:01 pm
High in the Dandenongs

used to have it delivered every saturday morning!
Old Jun 8th 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

My god many a poster lived on my bedroom wall

fc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.