Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is my head in the clouds ?

Is my head in the clouds ?

Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

DazDredge is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is my head in the clouds ?

Myself and girlfriend travelled to Australia in Sep 2000- June 2001 on a working holiday visa and worked for 6 months in Sydney. I worked for a call centre and she worked for a IT Recruitment agency.

We have decided to go back again but are wondering the best way to do it. Ideally my girlfriend (10 years IT Recruitment) was going to obtain sponsorship from a company over there and i (3.5 years IT Support) can obtain a defacto visa of some kind.(so we've been told) ?

We are looking to stay in the country permanently and become residents and was wondering if it is best to apply for residency while we are working over there or just apply from in the UK ?

Also any ideas of timescale would be great (of course pending on if the above is correct)

Many Thanks

DazDredge
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default Re: Is my head in the clouds ?

Originally Posted by DazDredge
Myself and girlfriend travelled to Australia in Sep 2000- June 2001 on a working holiday visa and worked for 6 months in Sydney. I worked for a call centre and she worked for a IT Recruitment agency.

We have decided to go back again but are wondering the best way to do it. Ideally my girlfriend (10 years IT Recruitment) was going to obtain sponsorship from a company over there and i (3.5 years IT Support) can obtain a defacto visa of some kind.(so we've been told) ?

We are looking to stay in the country permanently and become residents and was wondering if it is best to apply for residency while we are working over there or just apply from in the UK ?

Also any ideas of timescale would be great (of course pending on if the above is correct)

Many Thanks

DazDredge

Hello dazdredge,

I cant help you directly but unless someone else can what you could do is speak to a migration agent.(here,s a little plug for our agent).Just an idea but if you get the contact details of Darren chatt at www.visa-go.com (i think thats the right website) he will give you a no obligation assessment over the phone and tell you where you stand.If you decide to use an agent we can highly recomend Darren.

good luck dave
Old Nov 12th 2004, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DazDredge

Many Thanks

DazDredge
Hi DD, my partner is a computer programmer(or something like that, can't get my head around all this computer stuff ) anyway, we sent off our visa application in Aug04 and got our visas a few weeks ago. We could't belive how fast it got processed. Hope this is some help to you, best of luck
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:02 am

gedge has disabled reputation

We were the same as you back in 98. Came back from 9 months in Oz and knew we wanted to return.

Following year the company I worked for in Sydney were recruiting in the UK. Thought my luck was in, but it just didn't happen. Company pulled the plug on their recruitment plans.

In 2000 I started writing to companies looking for sponsorship. Again nada. the IT boom was over.

Then I spoke to the Sydney office of the company i worked for in the UK. Got my hopes up then nothing.

Finally we decided to look at skilled independant visas. Two years of paperwork, planning & paying before the dream came true.

We had wasted a lot of time hoping for a break, when we could have made it for ourselves.
By all means try for sponsorship, but also start looking at doing it for yourself.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 10:31 am
Just Joined

DazDredge is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Is my head in the clouds ?

Thanks for all your replies guys....

Going to concentrate on looking at obtaining VISA from UK as by looks of it only choice due to being over there before.

Will speak to a few firms to get the low down.

Thanks again !!!