My Grocery Bill

Old May 24th 2006, 8:00 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Grocery Bill

I thought I'd list some stuff I've bought this week for the sake of the British contingent worried about the cost of living over here. This is from quite an expensive Coles in the mountains... it's expensive because the area has social problems and a lot of people on the dole, so they have gvt money to spend and Coles likes to take it off them.

Anyway, here you go. Bear in mind please, that this is shopping for a family who eat healthily with a min of junk.
  • WeetBix 1.3kg ---- 5.40
  • Uncle Toby's Cereal 500g --- 3.12
  • Pura Light Start 2 litre milk --- 4.04
  • Coles full fat milk 3 litre --- 3.52
  • Whiskas 12 pack cat food pouch --- 7.07
  • Coles Italian tinned toms --- 1.39
  • Uncle Toby's trad p. oats 1kg --- 4.89
  • Seakist Tuna chunks 425g tin --- 2.59
  • Petit Filous/Miam 6 pk --- 3.59
  • 12 pk kids yogurts --- 5.99
  • Coon (yes really) cheddar 600g --- 8.34
  • Mainland big tasty cheddar 1kg ---- 9.59
  • Baby bel, 6pk --- 3.61
  • Yoplais natural yoghurt 1kg --- 4.35
  • Safe toilet rolls 12 pk --- 5.90
  • Arnotts biscuits 250g --- 2.13
  • AO Cereal bars 6 pk ---- 4.99
  • San Remo wholemeal spag --- 1.69
  • San Remo wholemeal spirals --- 1.69
  • Coles Bacon 250g --- 3.99
  • Reg Beef mince (on special) --- 5.02
  • Peanut Butter --- 2.99
  • Purity Laundry liquid --- 3.89
  • Free Range chicken thigh --- 7.11
  • Free Range chicken fillet --- 8.36
  • Italian dried herbs --- 3.65

Coles is expensive for fruit and veg so I went to a fruit and veg market for the following. I didn't buy a small bunch of bananas when I found out that they'd cost $8!

Here's my veg list:
  • Kiwi fruit - 10 for $2
  • 4 Small avocados 4
  • Pears - 1.40kg -----------2.28
  • Pink lady apples - 1.015kg - 4.05
  • Capsicum 2 large --------- 2.23
  • Zuchini - 10 small -------- 6.44
  • Green beans - 0.402kg -----2.10
  • One big garlic bulb ----------45c
  • 2 european cucumbers $2 ea---4.00
  • Mushrooms - big paper bag ----1.72
  • Qld Blue pumpkin 1.175kg -----1.18

Sorry for odd formatting - couldn't do a grid to make it simpler, but hope that's helpful to someone. If there are any costs you'd like to add, feel free.

Old May 24th 2006, 8:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Grocery Bill

Originally Posted by iPom
I thought I'd list some stuff I've bought this week for the sake of the British contingent worried about the cost of living over here. This is from quite an expensive Coles in the mountains... it's expensive because the area has social problems and a lot of people on the dole, so they have gvt money to spend and Coles likes to take it off them.

Anyway, here you go. Bear in mind please, that this is shopping for a family who eat healthily with a min of junk.

Sorry for odd formatting - couldn't do a grid to make it simpler, but hope that's helpful to someone. If there are any costs you'd like to add, feel free.

Looks like some things are not far off what I pay up here but there are a few that looks a fair bit higher.

Not sure I have a recent docket, will have a look and put some of it on here, see what sort of difference there is between the out of the way sort of place against urban.

Coles round here did a great bargain this week - a 17" LCD tv for $399. Only allowed one per customer but it's a really good picture and ideal for the bedroom. Myers had the same TV (different name on the front ) for $1000
Old May 24th 2006, 8:50 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Looks like some things are not far off what I pay up here but there are a few that looks a fair bit higher.

Not sure I have a recent docket, will have a look and put some of it on here, see what sort of difference there is between the out of the way sort of place against urban.

Coles round here did a great bargain this week - a 17" LCD tv for $399. Only allowed one per customer but it's a really good picture and ideal for the bedroom. Myers had the same TV (different name on the front ) for $1000
Can you ask how much for a tube of KY jelly and a courgette???
Old May 24th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
please tell me you're female.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:16 am
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wargod
Surely you'd go for local produce??

Last edited by rugbymad; May 24th 2006 at 9:23 am.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:26 am
Just Joined

cazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wargod

All this beaut veg and I must say I have been very disappointed in the size of the courgettes wink wink!!!

Cazzy
Old May 24th 2006, 9:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymad
Surely you'd go for local produce??
Well I don't know about KY but the Coles own vaseline is really gunky compared to Vaseline. Won't be buying that again, felt like lard on my face
Old May 24th 2006, 9:54 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

very interesting thread - thanks for posting your shopping list (your brave!)!

can i be very nosy and ask what percentage of your income you spend on food, compared to the percentage of your income you would spend in the uk?

sue
ps i understand if you dont want to air that info.....
Old May 24th 2006, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Ok, just bought a load of crap down OUR local Coles.

We're students so go for the cheap stuff and mostly Coles own brand unless marked.

Anyway, here's a few:

Heinz baked beans (not ALL cheap brands tho! ... ) - $3.66
Orange Juice 3ltr - $3.02
Pine Orange Juice 3ltr - $3.75
Lime Juice Cordial - $1.89
Soda Water 1.25ltr - 69c
John West Tin of Salmon - $3.48
Shower Cleaner - $2.49
Dolmio Traditional 550gram - $1.87
Paracetamol tablets 24 - 79c
Tin of Pea's 420gram - 90c
Corned Beef 340gram - £2.75
Tin of Tuna (large) - $2.49
OXO Beef cubes (No Bisto ... ) - $1.40
Bag of Pasta 500gram - $1.69
Bag of carrots 500gram - 99c
Nutella Choc Spread 400gram - $3.49
Rice Wheel Crisps - 180gram - $4.46
Woman's magazine (Gordon & Gotch ?!?!) - $3.80
Lettuce Mix (packet) - $1.89
Coleslaw Mix (packet) - $1.99
Wholemeal Bread 340gram (small) - $1.45
Veg Stir Fry 500gram - $$2.99
Pork Strips - $6.35
Sunbeam Raisins - 375gram - $2.73
Herbal Peppermint Teabags (50) - $5.25
Anzac biccies 12 pack - $$2.39
Cheese 500gram - $5.59
Twinings Tea 10 - $1.45
Dishwasher Rinse Aid - $1.56
Vaseline 100gram - $3.25
Dog Treat pack (pigs ears ish) 5 - $5.69
Dishwasher Tablets $5.69
Fresh Loaf of Bread - 99c
Mars Fun Size Pack 192gram - $2.99
Chocolate Freddo Pack 150gram - $4.23
Mixed Salad Pack 300gram - $1.79
Colgate Toothpaste Reg 175gram - $2.98
Potatoes 1.23kg - $2.98
Red Apples .96kg - $2.78
1 Cucumber - $2.65
Chicken Kebab Sticks 15 - $15.00
Cotton Wool Tips 200 - 99c
9 Sausages - $3.67

NO Banana's as $12 per kg ...

Hope that's of some use.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
can i be very nosy and ask what percentage of your income you spend on food, compared to the percentage of your income you would spend in the uk?
We're going prob 3 or 4 times a week and spending $100 - $150 a go!

2 adults 2 teens.

I reckon we're spending quite a bit more than when in the UK, but we ARE shopping mostly at Coles.

We need to find the equivalent to Costco so we can buy some of this stuff in bulk really.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I reckon we're spending quite a bit more than when in the UK, but we ARE shopping mostly at Coles.

We need to find the equivalent to Costco so we can buy some of this stuff in bulk really.

nuff said:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375359
Old May 24th 2006, 10:16 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
please tell me you're female.
or vegetarian
Old May 24th 2006, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth

Are you trying to give the guy a heart attack

The gross wage for a hairdresser here is $546 a week, so after tax he would be spending about more than 100% of the income just on food :scared:
Old May 24th 2006, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Are you trying to give the guy a heart attack

The gross wage for a hairdresser here is $546 a week, so after tax he would be spending about more than 100% of the income just on food :scared:
LOL ...

and you know I thought it was a link to the Oz equivalent to Costco ...
Old May 24th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

We only spend around $140 a week on our groceries - 2 adults and 2 young children. Doesn't include booze though - though wine is cheap (I don't have a sophisticated palate!) - Banrock at $7 a bottle will do me!
We do buy a lot of fruit and veg (not from Safeway/Coles) and don't buy lots of meat - I'm also not that fussy about brands (but do like good coffee! I have some standards...)
R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.