Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is My Friend a Crazy Pom?

Is My Friend a Crazy Pom?

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is My Friend a Crazy Pom?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry but I totally disagree with that! If 'ageism' is as rife as you say, then there'd be plenty of unemployed Australians with the wisdom you speak of, without 'importing' it.

Not sure what you mean by Australia 'may one day rely on older, more experienced Western people'. Our closest neighbours are Asian countries and much of our immigration is drawn from these countries. Skills are skills - the White Australia policy has been dead and buried for decades, and as an Australian I'm very glad that this is the case.

The days of Australia being a sleepy colony of Mother England are also long gone. The notion that we're backward and will remain so without immigrants from the UK (or other 'Western' countries) valiantly charging to our rescue is, quite frankly, a bit laughable I'd genuinely advise anyone moving to Oz with that attitude to check it at the border - otherwise they may find themselves in 12 months time wondering why they haven't secured employment, despite having the skills and ethnic background to save Australia from itself.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:15 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktyler1961
Yes, but he is the sort of fella that would regret going if it didn't work out. He'll have regrets either way
He should stay where he is then.
There are no guarantees.

You seem to know a lot about this "friend"
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I am a firm believer in this.

It's only money
Me too.

Health is more important than any amount of money.

Having said that I think if I was in my 50's I might not be as blasé about the risks involved in an adventure such as the one mentioned by the OP as I am in my 30's........Its a tough one.

KTyler

I say write a list of all the pros and cons then evaluate the outcome and ask yourself, or your friend, could you handle the cons?

Then you will have your answer.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 6:50 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Thought I'd let you know, my mate isn't going, the visa will run out, and he has decided to do another four or five years here when he will be able to retire anyway...
Good luck everybody
Old Jul 1st 2014, 10:25 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that in 5 years time he doesn't think 'I wish I had gone when I had the chance', especially if his employers make him redundant anyway. On the upside, you still have your mate.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:14 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

I think if he gets made redundant in five years he will be over the moon. He works for a massive company and would have 25 years service in five years: they are known for there generous packages.
It would be an early retirement package, a boost to the pension and a lump sum to boot.
If that happened to me I'd be off to the States for three months a year, Thailand for six months, Nepal for two and India for the other one. Then I'd swap it the next year, six months in India, three in Thailand, two in the States and one in Nepal. Then the next year I would do six months in Nepal.........blah blah blah and so on and so forth.......