Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My folks been told, just his to go

My folks been told, just his to go

Old Apr 19th 2004, 7:04 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default My folks been told, just his to go

Spent the weekend visiting my parents and one of my sisters.

First of all broke the news of my pregnancy. After hugs the reaction was a bit muted, and was put back by this. I thought big bit of news, changes our lives etc and after 30 seconds the conversation was on completely different subject.

Left it a few hours then said about moving to Oz - and within 30 seconds the subject of them coming to visit was aired. Again there was soon silience and dad was back watching the TV. I am sure they had more interest and questions when we purchased a car last year

A few more hours pass and and mum starts to come round asking about the baby and where in Oz we will go etc Dad does not blame us for wanting to go, we got to live our lives. Oh and he can't come out to live in Oz as that would void his fully paid up funeral

Next morning a few more questions, a few tears (from mum) but thankfully no tantrums.

Onto sis - tell her baby due, turns round ands says she knew it (thought as we are going on holiday and not flying that I was preggers, not the fact that Ireland is a long way from Oz). BIL was looking at properties in the paper and do I want a look? Wrong area, wrong country (he thinking I don't want to live in Wales!), wrong continent. Then their faces show a bit of bemusement, but then no surprise when Oz is mentioned. (sis asked last yr after we returned from Oz if we would emigrate there)

So there were no worries with telling about our big bit of news.
I had a little surprise though, found out that my grandfather on mothers side was a twin, so there is a chance........ :scared:
Old Apr 19th 2004, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

I found out that my great great grandmother had 2 sets of twins - did not find out this until I was preggers & also that twins had not made an appearance since (let me tell you - the family is huge). My gran was very poorly in hospital as the time & kept saying that she thought I would have twins - I told her that I would kill myself if it was & wasn't showing at 16 weeks so thought it was unlikely. the very next week - guess what - scan showed twins.

This forum has a few with twins - so could be catching!!!

Good luck for the scan - you might need it!

cheers

pockygoes
Old Apr 19th 2004, 7:45 am
Just Joined

R Clifford is an unknown quantity at this point

Twins ... oh my god.
I am 6 1/2 weeks pregnant with my second child and yet to have a scan. But yes, the twins aspect worries me aswell. My mum, my nan, and my great nan, plus an aunt and uncle have all had twins. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
I wasn't so worried about it when I was pregnant with my son, cos my thinking was, at least if it is the first, then I won't know what I am letting myself in for. But ..... now with a three year old toddler running about and the thought of having twins ...... well as I said before, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.
Bring on the scan!!!!
Natasha
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:20 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My folks been told, just his to go

just booked for first midwife visit and rang local hospital to find out when they do the first scan. I have been reading some do 6-8 weeks others around 12wks. No not this area, first one is around 20 wks :scared:

I have to wait that long! I have already put some weight on, but that could just be a water retention and bigger boobs
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

I remember the day well - my hubbie & I had a cooked breakie - cracked oopen the egg & guess what - a double yolker!!! We both laughed nervously & agreed it was just a fluke - ha ha ha.

Then when the scan came (about 3 hours later) hubbie looked at the grainy image on the screen & said jokingly - "oh look 2 heads" - the lady doing the scan said " yes dad you are expecting twins" - "oh s**t" was my first comment. Wanted 2 years between them not 1 minute.

They arrived 11 weeks only - weighing around 2lb each - after 9 hair-raising weeks in SCBU they came home - they are 9 (just) now & beleive me you would never guess that they were prem - strapping lads into sport & everything else!!!

Good luck with the scan!!!

pockygoes