Reload this Page >

My First Month In Cairns!!!

My First Month In Cairns!!!

Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking My First Month In Cairns!!!

Hi all

Just thought I would give you all an update of my first month as a 'temporary resident' of Cairns.

Well first of all it was great to see the in-laws after two years of being away, so had fun catching up with them and finding out all the recent goss!! Then came the nephews who are now calling me Auntie Nat, which is lovely, but they are not babies anymore (2 and 4) one of whom was born whilst we were away, but still they are very cute all the same

After the family catch up and familiarising ourselves with Cairns again, it was down to the job hunting!!!

Andy was okay for work as he is working for his father, I on the other hand had a slightly harder time. I applied for everthing I was capable of doing office wise in the Weekend post and the Wednesday post, registered with a couple of agencies, which personally I found a waste of time as they have the 'don't call us we'll call you.......if something comes in attitude!!

Anyway, after a couple of knock back letters and not hearing atal for a few weeks, I applied for a Secretarial job at a Solicitors and low and behold, I got it!!!

I am now a Legal Eagle working for (so far) a really nice law firm, nice and small and friendly.

The money is not too hot at the moment but they offer two rises a year and a bonus scheme so hopefully it won't be long before I move up in the salary bracket.

This took about four weeks for me to find, and was beginning to get a little frustrating but nevertheless I never regretted my decision to come over to Oz nor did I start missing home (well not too much anyway

We are now looking forward to putting the pennies away and save for our own home, which will take a little longer than anticipated due to the house price rises up in Queensland (and the rest of the world I reakon!). But fingers crossed the market will stablise soon if not drop a little.

So if any of you are heading my way, give me a shout and we could hook up if you want a friendly face to say g'day to

Bye for now and good luck to all those still waiting, and hang on in there, it is soooooo worth the paperwork and stress

Byeeee

Nat
x
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Month In Cairns!!!

Glad you are settling in OK.

Remember to change the "location" on your profile to Cairns.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:29 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Natbat
Hi all

Just thought I would give you all an update of my first month as a 'temporary resident' of Cairns.

Well first of all it was great to see the in-laws after two years of being away, so had fun catching up with them and finding out all the recent goss!! Then came the nephews who are now calling me Auntie Nat, which is lovely, but they are not babies anymore (2 and 4) one of whom was born whilst we were away, but still they are very cute all the same

After the family catch up and familiarising ourselves with Cairns again, it was down to the job hunting!!!

Andy was okay for work as he is working for his father, I on the other hand had a slightly harder time. I applied for everthing I was capable of doing office wise in the Weekend post and the Wednesday post, registered with a couple of agencies, which personally I found a waste of time as they have the 'don't call us we'll call you.......if something comes in attitude!!

Anyway, after a couple of knock back letters and not hearing atal for a few weeks, I applied for a Secretarial job at a Solicitors and low and behold, I got it!!!

I am now a Legal Eagle working for (so far) a really nice law firm, nice and small and friendly.

The money is not too hot at the moment but they offer two rises a year and a bonus scheme so hopefully it won't be long before I move up in the salary bracket.

This took about four weeks for me to find, and was beginning to get a little frustrating but nevertheless I never regretted my decision to come over to Oz nor did I start missing home (well not too much anyway

We are now looking forward to putting the pennies away and save for our own home, which will take a little longer than anticipated due to the house price rises up in Queensland (and the rest of the world I reakon!). But fingers crossed the market will stablise soon if not drop a little.

So if any of you are heading my way, give me a shout and we could hook up if you want a friendly face to say g'day to

Bye for now and good luck to all those still waiting, and hang on in there, it is soooooo worth the paperwork and stress

Byeeee

Nat
x
sounds brilliant, and way to go, getting a job !

How are you coping with the sand flies, and mozzies, friend was up there a cpl months back and said it was heaving.

My debs and my cousin, wanna go up to cairns for a week from Brissy

Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Hi all

Byeeee

Nat
x
Hi Nat,
Myself and my boyfriend Lee moved to Cairns a few months ago and can relate to everything you have experienced so far! Lee got work almost straight away whereas I am a teacher and had to register with Board of Teaching which took about a month! I am now doing supply teaching at some local schools.

We have recently moved into a new house in Kewarra Beach which is great... the closeness to the beach makes up for the drive into Cairns every morning with all those roundabouts to negogiate!!

Overall, we have settled in well, and haven't been too homesick, as emails and cheap calls home have made it easier. The weather has been lovely recently as well which is great, although the locals keep warning us about the summer here, when apparently it gets pretty hot... looking forward to that!!

Keep us updated on how you're getting on,
All the best,
Joanne
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:17 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nat,

There is so much I wanted to say to you but I am afraid to utter a word in view of your job

Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:27 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I am now a Legal Eagle
Sounds great Nat, glad it's working out for you.
But I'm with Bix. Daren't say anything out of turn......
Old Jul 31st 2004, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nat,

glad to hear you arrived safely and are enjoying it.

Well done with the job,

Old Jul 31st 2004, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Great news that u have settled in and things are going well. We fligh on Monday and have a 2 bed apartment (fully furnished)rented for 5 weeks in Woree. Hope this is a nice enough area.

We cannot wait, we want to be there NOW!

Mandy
Old Jul 31st 2004, 10:30 am
Go Banana's !!

Hi all

Byeeee

Nat
x
Good post Nat and nice to hear about others settling well over there. I hope the saving goes well and its not too long until you manage to buy the house of your dreams.

Best wishes

Warren
Perth if the b*****rs buy the house !!
:scared:

Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scrawni
Great news that u have settled in and things are going well. We fligh on Monday and have a 2 bed apartment (fully furnished)rented for 5 weeks in Woree. Hope this is a nice enough area.

We cannot wait, we want to be there NOW!

Mandy
Hey Scrawni,

Woree is just down the road from us in Kanimbla, not too sure about the area, but if you are only there for five weeks that will give you time enough to judge for yourselves what its like.

Good luck with everything and happy flying.

Thanks to everyone for you support.

Nat