Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My experience at the Dentist 1st time

My experience at the Dentist 1st time

Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default My experience at the Dentist 1st time

My son has braces and we were told he needed a filling (He showed me). I had been suffering a little toothache and thought I'd better get it sorted. Phoned a dentist near to us and asked visit prices and filling prices. Was told $40 a checkup and from $95 a filling. Booked us both in for yesterday.

Got to the dentist she asks are we having a checkup as well, when in popped the lady who we gave the forms we had to filled out to. She said to the dentist that we were in a healt scheme but dental hadn't kicked in yet. the dentist said, oh lets not do checkups then as you get the free soon. Up pops my son and had his filling done, no need for an injection and very straightforward. Next me, she had a look at the teeth I said were a concern (1 top 1 bottom) and couldn't see anything wrong. Advised to have xray as she said it could be a cavity under existing filling. One xray later, no problems at all, she couldn't find any thing wrong, said I must have sensitive teeth at the moment.

Bill $126 for my sons filling and my xray.

All in all I was impressed with her, she didn't try to rip me off by giving us checkups or doing a filling on me that wasn't nessassary. Ok its not free but I was expecting a bill of around $300.

Jo
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:24 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience at the Dentist 1st time

I have just had my first aussie dentist experience also (saturday) we headed along to Indooroopilly to have a check up and clean. Other half went first had the check up, x-ray and clean followed by myself. The bad news is I need 2 fillings and the other half 1 im booked in for a week on wednesday.
Then off to the receptionist to pay after much tapping on the till out came the bill of just over $400 after picking myself off the floor and regaining some colour I handed over my NIB card praying for them to pick up most of it and we ended up paying the sum of $21 so I was happy . I also need a crown but have been told that NIB wont pick up that until I have been in the scheme for a year so that is on the back burner for a few more months as its the thick end of $1500.

TT
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I have just had my first aussie dentist experience also (saturday) we headed along to Indooroopilly to have a check up and clean. Other half went first had the check up, x-ray and clean followed by myself. The bad news is I need 2 fillings and the other half 1 im booked in for a week on wednesday.
Then off to the receptionist to pay after much tapping on the till out came the bill of just over $400 after picking myself off the floor and regaining some colour I handed over my NIB card praying for them to pick up most of it and we ended up paying the sum of $21 so I was happy . I also need a crown but have been told that NIB wont pick up that until I have been in the scheme for a year so that is on the back burner for a few more months as its the thick end of $1500.

TT
Shame you aren't down here, I asked about crowns and she told me they are $1000, so cheaper than yours, maybe worth phoning around.

Jo
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Question Re: My experience at the Dentist 1st time

Originally Posted by TrickyTree

TT

What exactly is NIB please?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:12 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia

What exactly is NIB please?
Had a quick google and I think its private health insurance:

http://www.nib.com.au/about/index.asp
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:14 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Private Health insurance is worth checking out once you land. We have found it has made a big difference on the dentist bills and because our joint salary is over $100,000 you get 1% medicare levi (you are charged additional 1% medicare levi if joint earnings over $100k) back in your tax refund. That means the cost of the Private Health is almost paid for. Another thing worth knowing is that you pay an additional 2% on your premium for private health care for every year that you are over 30 so you may find it beneficial to take out just a basic cover so that it is there for when you need it.

Not sure if the limits have changed with the new tax brackets need to research that one but something for you to think about anyway.

Sharon
www.immigrateperth.com