Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My estimate of costs......

My estimate of costs......

Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My estimate of costs......

interesting thread .. finding the answers here, esp about day to day costs, very helpful
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Remember to budget for your rental bond (4 weeks rent) plus your application fee (1 Weeks rent). Your bond money will be 'dead money' for the time you rent.

Also don't know if you have kids but you haven't put any school costs down on your list ie uniform, materials, books plus the 'voluntary payment' you will be asked for each year.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:41 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulhill
Hi

I think your food, spending money and bills needs to be doubled. With the exchange rate about 2.1 you have only left yourself $390 a week! On average we spend $250 to $300 a week food alone, then you have fuel which for us is $100 a week etc. Also we found car hire to be really expensive aswelll.

In relation to renting, you may find it difficult to find a rental for just 2 months, most are usually for a minimum of 6 months. 20k should be okay as long as you are careful!

All the best Sue
What are you eating, fillet steak???? $250 to $300 is a lot!!! Do you have a large family?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

markinhull is an unknown quantity at this point

just to give you an idea of what I have spent as I have only been here 2 weeks. Again, this is Sydney prices.

Rental property - you will be very lucky to find any less than 6 months. There are the odd 3 month leases but not many. We have rented in Chatswood and a 2 bed apt is costing us $550 per week. On top of this as well you will need Bond which is usually 4 weeks rent. the rental market seems very competetive at the minute as well.
We originally budgeted for $450 / $500 per week but this wouldnt have got us much at all in Nth Sydney. Bear in mind that I come from oop north - this is very expensive to me when I have come from a 600 sterling per month mortgage.
We only want to be round North Sydney for work but if you are willing to travel a bit further then you will get more. There are some good people on here who will point you in the right direction re suburbs.

Cars - Again as stated 2nd hand cars seem to hold the value very well so it may be worth looking at new if you can. The rail system is sydney is excellent though and with a bit of walking and the occasional taxi, you can get anywhere.

We didnt ship anything and are starting from new. There are some very cheap furniture shops where you can furnish a couple of rooms for $2000. Now, this isnt the best in the world but it may be worth thinking about depending on how much your intending to ship.

Thats all I can think of for now.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

Thanks will update list again tomorow

What is a 'voluntary payment'!!! Hadnt heard of that!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:36 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markinhull
just to give you an idea of what I have spent as I have only been here 2 weeks. Again, this is Sydney prices.

Rental property - you will be very lucky to find any less than 6 months. There are the odd 3 month leases but not many. We have rented in Chatswood and a 2 bed apt is costing us $550 per week. On top of this as well you will need Bond which is usually 4 weeks rent. the rental market seems very competetive at the minute as well.
We originally budgeted for $450 / $500 per week but this wouldnt have got us much at all in Nth Sydney. Bear in mind that I come from oop north - this is very expensive to me when I have come from a 600 sterling per month mortgage.
We only want to be round North Sydney for work but if you are willing to travel a bit further then you will get more. There are some good people on here who will point you in the right direction re suburbs.

Cars - Again as stated 2nd hand cars seem to hold the value very well so it may be worth looking at new if you can. The rail system is sydney is excellent though and with a bit of walking and the occasional taxi, you can get anywhere.

We didnt ship anything and are starting from new. There are some very cheap furniture shops where you can furnish a couple of rooms for $2000. Now, this isnt the best in the world but it may be worth thinking about depending on how much your intending to ship.

Thats all I can think of for now.
Mark, that seems about right for what I have estimated. Looking tonight its all about views and transport links as far as price is concerned.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

markinhull is an unknown quantity at this point

your not wrong. We saw advertised a 2 bed in mcmahons point. it had the best view, full length of the bridge and it was only $580.

when we got there the apartment wasnt fit for a dog!! You were literally paying for the view.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:14 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

This is our monthly outgoings (we're in Sydney but not CBD so you could easily double the rent for CBD).

We gave ourselves $10k to get a car when we first arrived and couldnt believe the crap we would get for that! Ended up increasing our budget to $16k!

Spending money and groceries - you haven't quoted much at all there. As you can see from our outgoings - just for the three of us (daughter eats like a mouse!) we would spend around $1300 on groceries alone. That only leaves you with around $250 a week for spending money for all of you. Money can slip through your fingers VERY quickly when you first arrive and are trying to entertain kids aswell as set up your new life.

HTH

Rach
Attached Files
File Type: xls
BE outgoings.xls (17.5 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Jan 16th 2008 at 10:20 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

We've got two 11 year old cars. Mine's a Mitsubishi Magna cost around $9K (2 years ago, but in great condition). Adam has a run-around Daewo Ceila (sp?!) looks like an Astra - cost $5.5K - a basic car, but has had no major problems and is only a 1.5, so good on fuel.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ozzydreamer

It can be difficult getting a grip on the costs this end, and those costs really will depend on where you're choosing to settle. We're renting in Brisbane currently, six month contract.

Rent (4 bed house): $330 per week.
Food: $200 per week.
Car: You'll get something for 2500 pounds but it probably won't be the equivalent of what you can buy in the UK for the same amount. Have a look at www.carsales.com.au for whats available, you'll need to put a post code in for a meaningful search, try 4070 (Brisbane western sub) and 25 km. Dependigng on your requirements, I'd recommend a little runaround initially, petrol prices are on the increase here meaning bigger cars and 4wd's aren't that easy to get rid of once you've bought them, fuel efficient small cars are.
Car registration: $330 ish for 6 months.
Car insurance: $400 ish per year.
School fees: Books and materials about $100 -120 per child. 'Voluntary' contribution is voluntary and therefore don't feel pressurised to pay it if you can't afford.

Andy
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:18 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
This is our monthly outgoings (we're in Sydney but not CBD so you could easily double the rent for CBD)
Thats a good file and aside from the rent is pretty much the figures I had arrived at having spoken to others.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
School fees: Books and materials about $100 -120 per child. 'Voluntary' contribution is voluntary and therefore don't feel pressurised to pay it if you can't afford.

Andy
There was a thread asking whether how many people paid the 'voluntary contribution' a few weeks back. Can anyone remember it?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
There was a thread asking whether how many people paid the 'voluntary contribution' a few weeks back. Can anyone remember it?
I can but I can't find it in a search.

I was speaking to a teacher friend just the other day about the same and after several years of paying it, she now refuses.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:46 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I can but I can't find it in a search.

I was speaking to a teacher friend just the other day about the same and after several years of paying it, she now refuses.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+contributions

here it is. Personally and it is only my opinion. Ours is $40 per child per year. I have always paid it and always will, it is important for the school. Our school put in aircon a few years ago with this contribution and this next year we get new play equipment.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

Thanks Andy, your costs were very helpfull, especially for insights into car insurance etc.

As for voluntary costs, is that it? I thought it was going to be something like $1000 a year or something! Would quite happily contribute!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.