Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My emotions are migrating!

My emotions are migrating!

Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:52 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default My emotions are migrating!

For years and years we have spoken about moving to Australia, it always seeming like a far off dream. For one reason and another we were never able to do anything about our dream until now. Last year we went for a holiday over there, and that was it, confirmation, it was definitely what we wanted, to make Australia our home. So off we go on that rollercoaster that is called the immigration process. Realising right from the start that it was crucial we got everything in order first go as age was against us, we sent off for our TRA.

Ecstacy, we passed the TRA!! We were so excited we were dancing round the house. Then came the traumas of getting the main application through. I'm sure you all know about the worries we had, and the fear that we would not have our application passed. Then visa was granted. Great news, yes, but for some reason we weren't leaping round all over the place. Then 10 days later when our passports came back with the visa stamped in, the news really began to sink in. We had a visa, we could go and live in Australia.

This week we have both been off work to get the house finished and on the market. The estate agent has been round today and has 3 viewings lined up for us on Friday. Yes I know this is wonderful news, yes I know things are looking great, no there is no way am I changing my mind. But my goodness, how scary is this now becoming. One of the buyers is desperate to move in asap. The dogs are booked to ship out on January 15th. This is all becoming so real. Thoughts are zooming backward and forward all over the place. Part of me is very excited looking forward to our new life and the adventure that goes with it. Part of me is fretting over leaving our daughter, I know the boys will be ok, they are much more independent and although Gemma is married she is still my little girl. She is trying for a family and wants to have her mummy around. Part of me feels mean for taking our youngest away from everything that is familiar to him, his friends, his school where he excels, his football team who he has been playing with for the last 5 years. I have lived in this house for the last 19 years. Many good memories here but also very many bad memories, but memories none the less. Our past experiences mould us into the people we are today.

Today with the house sale potentially moving forward I have found myself thinking about having to hand my notice in at work, telling my son's school that he will be leaving at the end of term, the last Christmas with all my children. It is all just weeks away. In two weeks my son will be defending his karate title that he has held for the last 2 years. This will be the last time that he will do this. Tears have been welling up all over the place today. Tomorrow I am sure I will be fine and will be excited again.

I know that you brave people who have already made the move will have been through this. I just really felt the need to put all this down. I'm so sorry to have warbled on about a load of drivel, but I do feel a bit better for doing so. For now anyway
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My emotions are migrating!

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
For years and years we have spoken about moving to Australia, it always seeming like a far off dream. For one reason and another we were never able to do anything about our dream until now. Last year we went for a holiday over there, and that was it, confirmation, it was definitely what we wanted, to make Australia our home. So off we go on that rollercoaster that is called the immigration process. Realising right from the start that it was crucial we got everything in order first go as age was against us, we sent off for our TRA.

Ecstacy, we passed the TRA!! We were so excited we were dancing round the house. Then came the traumas of getting the main application through. I'm sure you all know about the worries we had, and the fear that we would not have our application passed. Then visa was granted. Great news, yes, but for some reason we weren't leaping round all over the place. Then 10 days later when our passports came back with the visa stamped in, the news really began to sink in. We had a visa, we could go and live in Australia.

This week we have both been off work to get the house finished and on the market. The estate agent has been round today and has 3 viewings lined up for us on Friday. Yes I know this is wonderful news, yes I know things are looking great, no there is no way am I changing my mind. But my goodness, how scary is this now becoming. One of the buyers is desperate to move in asap. The dogs are booked to ship out on January 15th. This is all becoming so real. Thoughts are zooming backward and forward all over the place. Part of me is very excited looking forward to our new life and the adventure that goes with it. Part of me is fretting over leaving our daughter, I know the boys will be ok, they are much more independent and although Gemma is married she is still my little girl. She is trying for a family and wants to have her mummy around. Part of me feels mean for taking our youngest away from everything that is familiar to him, his friends, his school where he excels, his football team who he has been playing with for the last 5 years. I have lived in this house for the last 19 years. Many good memories here but also very many bad memories, but memories none the less. Our past experiences mould us into the people we are today.

Today with the house sale potentially moving forward I have found myself thinking about having to hand my notice in at work, telling my son's school that he will be leaving at the end of term, the last Christmas with all my children. It is all just weeks away. In two weeks my son will be defending his karate title that he has held for the last 2 years. This will be the last time that he will do this. Tears have been welling up all over the place today. Tomorrow I am sure I will be fine and will be excited again.

I know that you brave people who have already made the move will have been through this. I just really felt the need to put all this down. I'm so sorry to have warbled on about a load of drivel, but I do feel a bit better for doing so. For now anyway
hi Anne and terry , i know how you feel . but as you know we are not as far down the line as you two, i think that leaving behind a whole lifetime of memories is very hard ,i have had my days when i thought that a can't do this some times so scary makes my shudder ,i think we must be mad but if we don't go will always regret what might of been , as my mum said live life you don't know what tomorrow has in store for you , life is what you make it ,deciding to go was the hardest decision i have had to make up to now in my life lv Shelly
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:14 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Anne here's a big hug and some karma .

(sorry ,it would be Karma but got told to spread)

Last edited by lor; Nov 8th 2005 at 7:18 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by charlie brown
hi Anne and terry , i know how you feel . but as you know we are not as far down the line as you two, i think that leaving behind a whole lifetime of memories is very hard ,i have had my days when i thought that a can't do this some times so scary makes my shudder ,i think we must be mad but if we don't go will always regret what might of been , as my mum said live life you don't know what tomorrow has in store for you , life is what you make it ,deciding to go was the hardest decision i have had to make up to now in my life lv Shelly
Ditto. Read your posts and feel the same. I'm struggling to type due to hand clam. I know it'll be worth it in the end but it is so unsettling
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno what to say to you girl except i will buy you a beer sometime

k to you

j x
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I know where you're coming from - we've got the decoraters round at the moment, slowly removing all trace of 'us' from this house so it's ready to put on the market as soon as we get back from Oz in February. Makes it all seem very real.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Just to wish you luck
My emotions are everywhere at the moment too,I was nearly crying singing Rudolph the red nose reindeer earlier today Sarted to wonder why I was teaching my son all the christmas carols & thinking I bet they don't have the same songs in Oz!
Just think of it as a giant hill that you have to climb,the view from the top will be worth it & who knows whats on the otherside? - as long as it's not another bloody hill-lol
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:58 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

k for you
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:07 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: My emotions are migrating!

Expect your emotions to run haywire once you get here also.

If it helps try and think of things in a different way. We moved here, jobless with 2 young kids within 6 weeks of finding out we had been accepted and yes it can get a bit overwhelming. In your head how about thinking ' well we will try, we've not lost anything, at the least it will be a huge adventure and a great experience, better than looking back in years to come thinking... if only we had given it a try'

I'll send you some Karma.

BTW, been here since Aug 2003, this is our home, best decision we ever made, made wonderful friends and are about to become Citizens. Yes you miss friends and family but Australia isn't as far away as it used to be with cheap phone calls and the internet.

Good Luck,

LJJ
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:12 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

You know what Anne I have exactly the same thoughts while you are applying it is all a surreal dream and somehow somthing that happens to others and not you!
Cant imagine how it feels to be ACTUALLY doing it!!

All will be fine!!
Take
Kris xx
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:16 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

I read your thread with interest, If they where to tell the truth i bet theres not a single person who has already gone over there who has'nt felt all of the emotions that you are feeling right now and lets be honest it would'nt be natural if you didnt feel any emotion. we are all leaving the things that are close to us for this big adventure, the things that we have known since we where babies and have grown our whole lives with, our friends, our family, even the old git down the road who is always whinging at the kids to stop playing footy! this has been the fabric of our lives and we are now going to drop it all and truck on over to the other side of the globe to start a new life.

No Shit your scared!!!!!! I am and we still havent even done the TRA yet but i know that if and when we get through all this it will be the best move we have ever made and i know it will be for you. You go for it and have a fantastic time, good luck to you all.

Nev.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie brown
We are in the same position as above, still waiting; haven't had meds/police checks yet. I so want to go it's getting unbearable at work - my heart just isn't in it anymore. I want to get a move on and we can't. I have to give 8 weeks notice and I'm hoping that we hear asap as I don't want to be working much after february. Not with all the things that have to be done anyway.

I've been up and down since we heard that WA immi people (whatever/whoever it was that okayed us), I look at the little children that I work with and a lump forms in my throat - but then I think - yes they love me at the moment and I'm their favourite teacher for the time being (they tell me this on a regular basis) , but once I leave someone else will soon step into my shoes and I'll be a distant (hopefully wonderful) memory. We were in the garden at play today - watching the planes soaring above the garden how many times did I think - that's going to be me soon (please).

I've had lots of time to consider that we could be making the wrong choice, I have a great family and wonderful wonderful friends, but if we don't do this now I know that I will always regret the "never having a go". I don't want to be 70 sitting in my chair regretting that I never took the chance to do something different with my life - and this is what keeps me going as much as I love all my family and friends - we have to do this for us.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Hi Anne, completely understand how you are feeling! such a rollercoaster of emotions. Scared, excited, feel sick about saying goodbye to everyone but think of the new life ahead of you. This country has am afraid to say "gone to the dogs" imagine another 10 years time what it will be like!
jox
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:01 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Oh you are a lovely bunch. I'm not a blubbering wreck, I just feel like an erractic bouncing ball, never quite knowing in which direction it is heading.

I definitely know we are doing the right thing. Doesn't make it any less :scared: :scared: though does it?
Well done to all of you who have made the move, and good luck to the rest of you who are waiting.

Anne x
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:07 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I just feel like an erractic bouncing ball

Anne x
Had a look in the annsummers cataloge and can't see anything like that
They have some kinda beads will they do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.