My dilemna.....

Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My dilemna.....

Originally Posted by quoll

At 20 you are well able to look after yourself and you will probably have a good time in doing so. I do think your parents are being rather short sighted about all this and they should have realized by now that blackmailing a young adult is not very sensible (yes, been the mother of now adult sons!!).
I agree with this.

I also think that the parents fear that should Pommy babe not start a course in Oz, it may be that she has no way of becoming a resident there, and therefore cannot work part-time there over the holidays etc etc ie always be a tourist.

Pretty sure tho that if she is NOT working, and NOT supporting herself while in the UK ie is clearly a dependent on her parents, then the visa status should be OK.

We still need clarification as to exactly what visa she (or rather parent/s is on)
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:32 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Surely the starting point is where you want to be professionally in 6 years time - and do the course which assists you in completing that goal.

You also need to factor in where you want to live as a working professional: UK or Australia. If the later - go to Oz and look at courses there. I find it difficult to comprehend that you have only found one course at QUT.

It may be useful to take a long term view - the next 6 or 7 years as opposed to a shorter view.

Please do not be concerned about your age. I can guarantee that you will not be the oldest student on the course you eventually decide upon.

Whatever you determine - good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Hi Pommy Babe,

I've read your post and all the replies. It seems to me that you have made your mind up. You want to stay in the UK. Well, get out there and prove to your parents that you are an adult who is capable of making her own decisions and supporting herself. I supported myself all the way through uni by working in the vacations and taking a 'year out' to work. It wasn't easy but I did it and finished my degree in credit at the bank which most students who rely on Mum and Dad don't do.

The only 'problem' with following this course of action is that you may find yourself trapped in the UK whilst your family are in Brisbane. (Not sure of the visa situation) If this worries you then consider your options carefully.
We cross-posted
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
We cross-posted
Great minds think alike!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Great minds think alike!
Can't advise on anything other than I did one degree at 19 which was a waste of tme, I wasn't sufficiently interested to do the hard graft. Got a rubbish result.

I was lucky (and determined) enough to get a chance to do another 1st degree in a subject I loved few years later. It was much easier to do the work as I was motivated and like the content, came top of my class.

it didn't seem like hard work, I
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of

I agree with this.

I also think that the parents fear that should Pommy babe not start a course in Oz, it may be that she has no way of becoming a resident there, and therefore cannot work part-time there over the holidays etc etc ie always be a tourist.

Pretty sure tho that if she is NOT working, and NOT supporting herself while in the UK ie is clearly a dependent on her parents, then the visa status should be OK.

We still need clarification as to exactly what visa she (or rather parent/s is on)
I 'm classed as a dependent with a permanent residency visa as my dad has a skilled-trade visa for hairdressing
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pommy babe
I 'm classed as a dependent with a permanent residency visa as my dad has a skilled-trade visa for hairdressing
Aha. That's good news.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of

Aha. That's good news.
I don't understand... why is that good news?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pommy babe
I don't understand... why is that good news?
I think that, because you have validated your visa, you are now able to enter Oz at any time before the final entry date (but don't leave it too late!) and can work or study. It's up to you! You needed to be dependent at the time of application (and probably validation) but once that's done you have your permanent residency. No other boxes to tick. You can live anywhere you like.

So, if it were me, I would go over to Oz, work for a year and get acclimatized to the Aussie way of life (treat it as a gap year), maybe look at other Uni courses and give yourself some time to really be able to think about what you want to achieve in the next 5-10 years without all the extra pressure! It also means that you will have Aussie friends etc before you start your uni course.

Just my opinion though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to my 15 year old yesterday and I told him that he should never regret something he has done, only the things he hasn't. You should seriously think of what it is you want out of life and try to focus on achieving that goal. If it's not the same thing that your parents want for you, then I'm afraid that is there problem, it's your life and you have to live it how you see fit.

If later on you find that it's not really what you want, then there is no failure in that - you just need to refocus yourself and change your plans. Be proud of what you achieve and never look back.

If your parents aren't willing to support you, then get out there and prove to them that you are an adult and can achieve what you want in life without them.

When did you all get your visa's, or rather when do they expire?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As a university-educated Aussie who has done degrees in both countries and as a former Human Resources Manager also in both countries, employing people from all over the world, I can confirm that this is a load of tosh.

A degree is a degree, as long as it is recognised by the relevant local body.
Tried to send you K but have to spread some more first. This whole idea of a UK degree is better than an Australian/Canadian/US/wherever degree is a load of crap. So long as it's a recognised university a degree is a degree.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

pominNoosa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This whole idea of a UK degree is better than an Australian/Canadian/US/wherever degree is a load of crap. So long as it's a recognised university a degree is a degree.
Fair enough then. Seems strange though considering how easy some of the courses are regarded as being. Even some of my lecturers have said how easy degrees are here in oz compared to the UK and India, for example! But even if I'd known this it wouldn't have stopped me coming over here - was a good opportunity for me. Just don't think it's necessarily the right move for our dilemma friend.

Anyway, isn't it better to do an hons degree in 3 rather than 4 years? Also, surely she hasn't ruined her future visa options by not taking up her PR visa this time around? Don't know enough about these things though. Wouldn't she be able to come over at some point in the future if she wanted to? Especially if her parents sponsor her or something??? Anyone know about this?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pominNoosa
Fair enough then. Seems strange though considering how easy some of the courses are regarded as being. Even some of my lecturers have said how easy degrees are here in oz compared to the UK and India, for example! But even if I'd known this it wouldn't have stopped me coming over here - was a good opportunity for me. Just don't think it's necessarily the right move for our dilemma friend.

Anyway, isn't it better to do an hons degree in 3 rather than 4 years? Also, surely she hasn't ruined her future visa options by not taking up her PR visa this time around? Don't know enough about these things though. Wouldn't she be able to come over at some point in the future if she wanted to? Especially if her parents sponsor her or something??? Anyone know about this?
If she has a validated permanent residency visa she could most likely do her course in UK and still have time to take up residency in Australia. A PR visa is valid for 5 years, so if it's only recently been validated it should still have at least 3 years validity left. This would give her time to do her 3 year course in UK and still come here before it expires.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Space-bunny will become famous soon enough

Pommybabe, If that was my parents I would be v angry. You will be 21 soon you are an adult and more than able to make your own choices. I think if you want to stay in the U.K stay share a flat, get a part time job and study at uni. It can be done( will be hard work but worth it).

If you can prove to your parents you dont have to rely on them to help fund uni they will maybe start treating you like an adult and not like a 15year old. Yes they love you and want you with them, but its your life honey not theres.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:49 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Tried to send you K but have to spread some more first. This whole idea of a UK degree is better than an Australian/Canadian/US/wherever degree is a load of crap. So long as it's a recognised university a degree is a degree.
Dorothy

its not all crap - there are many companies who will want to know the details of the degree e.g. how long the study is? is honours involved? etc - yes you can get a job with 'a degree' but when it comes to competition for jobs some employers will definitley check the content. so... uk degrees (3 years) usually come with honours, in oz honours is an add on (to the 3 years) that many students dont always take, so that makes a huge difference to some employers....and also demonstrates whether the students have the necessary research/technical skills and knowledge for particular jobs.

otherwise nobody would do more than 3 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.