Reload this Page >

My dilemma (this is a long one)

My dilemma (this is a long one)

Old May 30th 2006, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

stu_69 is on a distinguished road
Default My dilemma (this is a long one)

Hello Pats.

I have been a member for a while but I have not posted in a long time. I have a question (well more of a dilemma) for you and I would appreciate your advice.

Here is the background:

Myself and my wife are both Irish and we meet while in Australia on a WHV. Our visa’s ran out in January 2001 and we moved back to London together (My wife had lived in London for the 4 years before she went to OZ) and have been here ever since. From the day we landed in London we wanted to go back to Australia but we have never been able to get back in.

I am currently employed as an IT support manager. I have 9 years of IT support experience and I have worked my way up from the bottom. I have never been to university and the only qualifications I have are my leaving cert. So although I have the required amount of points I do not qualify because of my education.

My wife is a journalist and is currently employed as a production editor on a major magazine. She does not have enough points so we can’t apply for PR through her.

This has been the situation for the past few years, we have been down every route to get PR but had the door closed on every occasion. We even wasted £1000 with an agency only to get nothing but hassle for our money.

Now the dilemma (you still with me?):

We have thought many times about trying to get work and get sponsored on a business visa with the idea that this would give us 4 years (at least) to sort out PR (and it would be 4 years in Australia) but getting a job in Australia from London is a bit of a struggle. Last year my wife applied to do a masters with Sydney uni and was accepted. We figured that as her spouse I would have a year with unrestricted working rights to find a job and get sponsored. So we were all set to go and started planning (she would have been starting uni this September 2006) and getting ready to go but we made a little mistake and she got pregnant. This was a surprise but it wasn’t the end of the world so we decided to give up the Australia dream and settle down in the UK and maybe try applying again in a couple of years.

7 weeks ago we lost the baby through a miscarriage. It has been a bit of a hard year this one but we have come out of this OK and we feel stronger for it. But we are now in the situation where we don’t want to live in the UK and we really want to move to Australia but we don’t have the education option anymore.

So here is our option:

I have managed to get a contact with someone in a recruitment agency in Sydney who thinks I will be able to get a job in Australia and get sponsored with no problems but to do this I would have to hand in my notice in work and head out to Australia on the hope that I would be able to get a job and sponsorship. My wife would have to stay back in the UK and wait for me. Should I manage to get a job she would then hand in her notice and pack everything up and have it shipped over which is a hefty job for a lady to do on her own.

Then there is the cat. We love this cat he is part of our family and I would rather not give him up but it will be expensive to move the cat out to Oz for what maybe only 4 years but neither of us want to leave him behind.

Plus there is also the dilemma of what to bring with us, what not. We currently rent but we have a little bit of furniture but we have quite a lot of electrical equipment (WS LCD TV, 2x PC’s, Kitchen equipment etc) this stuff is expensive but is it worth is bringing with us?

So I don’t know what to do, I don’t want to live in the UK (or Ireland) anymore and our ideal destination would be Sydney (with a nice flat on the north shore) and this is a good opportunity to get that. But it’s not without risks, we are giving up quite a comfortable life here and we earn a decent wage but should we have to return in 4 years it will have been an expensive “holiday”. We have a nice if not substantial savings which I would like to not touch and have as a safety net if we had to return.

Sorry that was very long and probably very boring but I had to get it off my chest.

So what do you lot think? Has anyone been through this?

Your thoughts please

Thanks
Stu
Old May 30th 2006, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My dilemma (this is a long one)

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Been there myself and it's a difficult time.

The question to ask yourself: If you don't come, will you regret it later on in your life? If the answer's yes, then come.

We bought our cat. It cost a thousand UK pounds (sorry Aus keyboard and can't find the pound sign) plus $600 this end for quarantine. HAve a look at Golden Arrow or Airpets for a quote. He's his normal self after a few days here, and he's 12 with one eye and a heart murmer. The kids would have been distraught if we'd left him.

I'm not sure about the rest but I think you'll get some good responses here.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu_69
I have managed to get a contact with someone in a recruitment agency in Sydney who thinks I will be able to get a job in Australia and get sponsored with no problems but to do this I would have to hand in my notice in work and head out to Australia on the hope that I would be able to get a job and sponsorship.
I don't understand this bit.

Why can't the agency secure you work before you go?

If not then what visa do you intend to enter Australia on?

G
Old May 30th 2006, 12:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My dilemma (this is a long one)

Stu, can you not get in doing RPL through ACS as you have over 8 years IT experience? Maybe post on the immigration forum - some good agents hang out there like George Lombard and Alan Collett, also PTLabs is very knowledgeable about IT applications.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 30th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Pats.

I have been a member for a while but I have not posted in a long time. I have a question (well more of a dilemma) for you and I would appreciate your advice.

Here is the background:

Myself and my wife are both Irish and we meet while in Australia on a WHV. Our visa’s ran out in January 2001 and we moved back to London together (My wife had lived in London for the 4 years before she went to OZ) and have been here ever since. From the day we landed in London we wanted to go back to Australia but we have never been able to get back in.

I am currently employed as an IT support manager. I have 9 years of IT support experience and I have worked my way up from the bottom. I have never been to university and the only qualifications I have are my leaving cert. So although I have the required amount of points I do not qualify because of my education.

My wife is a journalist and is currently employed as a production editor on a major magazine. She does not have enough points so we can’t apply for PR through her.

This has been the situation for the past few years, we have been down every route to get PR but had the door closed on every occasion. We even wasted £1000 with an agency only to get nothing but hassle for our money.

Now the dilemma (you still with me?):

We have thought many times about trying to get work and get sponsored on a business visa with the idea that this would give us 4 years (at least) to sort out PR (and it would be 4 years in Australia) but getting a job in Australia from London is a bit of a struggle. Last year my wife applied to do a masters with Sydney uni and was accepted. We figured that as her spouse I would have a year with unrestricted working rights to find a job and get sponsored. So we were all set to go and started planning (she would have been starting uni this September 2006) and getting ready to go but we made a little mistake and she got pregnant. This was a surprise but it wasn’t the end of the world so we decided to give up the Australia dream and settle down in the UK and maybe try applying again in a couple of years.

7 weeks ago we lost the baby through a miscarriage. It has been a bit of a hard year this one but we have come out of this OK and we feel stronger for it. But we are now in the situation where we don’t want to live in the UK and we really want to move to Australia but we don’t have the education option anymore.

So here is our option:

I have managed to get a contact with someone in a recruitment agency in Sydney who thinks I will be able to get a job in Australia and get sponsored with no problems but to do this I would have to hand in my notice in work and head out to Australia on the hope that I would be able to get a job and sponsorship. My wife would have to stay back in the UK and wait for me. Should I manage to get a job she would then hand in her notice and pack everything up and have it shipped over which is a hefty job for a lady to do on her own.

Then there is the cat. We love this cat he is part of our family and I would rather not give him up but it will be expensive to move the cat out to Oz for what maybe only 4 years but neither of us want to leave him behind.

Plus there is also the dilemma of what to bring with us, what not. We currently rent but we have a little bit of furniture but we have quite a lot of electrical equipment (WS LCD TV, 2x PC’s, Kitchen equipment etc) this stuff is expensive but is it worth is bringing with us?

So I don’t know what to do, I don’t want to live in the UK (or Ireland) anymore and our ideal destination would be Sydney (with a nice flat on the north shore) and this is a good opportunity to get that. But it’s not without risks, we are giving up quite a comfortable life here and we earn a decent wage but should we have to return in 4 years it will have been an expensive “holiday”. We have a nice if not substantial savings which I would like to not touch and have as a safety net if we had to return.

Sorry that was very long and probably very boring but I had to get it off my chest.

So what do you lot think? Has anyone been through this?

Your thoughts please

Thanks
Stu
May help,may not,try emigrating to NZ,once you have NZ nationality come and go to Oz and work as much as you like,then take out Oz nationality.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
May help,may not,try emigrating to NZ,once you have NZ nationality come and go to Oz and work as much as you like,then take out Oz nationality.

This is a loophole which is being closed. Be careful!
Old May 30th 2006, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Boy this is a difficult one Stu. I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage, it must have been hard times.

I guess it is dependant on whether you reckon you could get another job in the UK if the worst happened and you couldn't get one in Oz. You would be risking a lot by going over there to see if you can get sponsorship, but then nothing worth having in life is easy.

We have the same problems with our cats, we love them so much but £2k is a lot of money, I think that we have both agreed that we will leave them with my Dad for one year (as we will be renting) and assuming everything goes well and we stay there, we will bring them over.

No one can make this decision for you, I would way up the pros and cons, do a list and then make the decision.

Good luck
Old May 30th 2006, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
I don't understand this bit.

Why can't the agency secure you work before you go?

If not then what visa do you intend to enter Australia on?

G
They are saying that they will try secure me employment before I went out there but most companies want to meet the candidate face to face. They say the best option is for me to enter Australia on a holiday visa and go to interviews, get a job and sponsorship.

The thing is I can hardly go to oz on a holiday. I would have to go there with the idea that I am moving there as I would have to hand in my notice here and leave my job (not the end of the world as I hate my job).
Old May 30th 2006, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

It would probably be worth speaking to an agent. Some of them do free online assessments or will give you a bit of advise via email.

If you have that much IT experience you might be able to do an RPL through ACS.

If its your dream and you really want to go, there will be a way round it for you. Post on the immigration forum and you might get a response from one of the agents.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

I would have to go there with the idea that I am moving there as I would have to hand in my notice here and leave my job (not the end of the world as I hate my job).

It sounds pretty clear cut to me! So come, get a job and your other half will get friends and rellies to help out with the packing. You should do as much as possible before you leave though.

Good luck.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

They are saying that they will try secure me employment before I went out there but most companies want to meet the candidate face to face. They say the best option is for me to enter Australia on a holiday visa and go to interviews, get a job and sponsorship.

The thing is I can hardly go to oz on a holiday. I would have to go there with the idea that I am moving there as I would have to hand in my notice here and leave my job (not the end of the world as I hate my job).

Just be very careful with an agency because if they sponser you and can't find you work you may find that it is a costly mistake.

I read a post just the other week on this, which I will have a look for.

Sponsership in itself is not a bad thing, but you would be better going over yourself and trying to find a company to sponser you rather than an agency.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

DIMA would not be too happy about that.

Another point....if anyone was prepared to sponsor you for a temporary visa then they could also sponsor you for a PR visa....you may be better dealing directly with companies rather than through an agency.
You could probably do that just as easily from the UK. How would it be any easier if you were in Australia?

G
Old May 30th 2006, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Stu, can you not get in doing RPL through ACS as you have over 8 years IT experience? Maybe post on the immigration forum - some good agents hang out there like George Lombard and Alan Collett, also PTLabs is very knowledgeable about IT applications.

Cheers

Buzzy

tried that mate even went through an agency. The problem is 2 of the companies I have worked for have gone belly up and no longer exist. One of these companies was shut down for illegal dealings and I can't get any records that I worked there so it shaves 2 years off my work experience.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:31 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My dilemma (this is a long one)

tried that mate even went through an agency. The problem is 2 of the companies I have worked for have gone belly up and no longer exist. One of these companies was shut down for illegal dealings and I can't get any records that I worked there so it shaves 2 years off my work experience.
There are ways round that Stu called Statutory Declarations. You need a good agent. Go to the immigration forum.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 30th 2006, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but if you do go for it at least you'll know of the possible failings of doing it this way.

Speak to an agent, they will tell you what chance you have. George Lombard and Alan Collett are both really good agents and they will tell you your options. They are both members of the forum and if you post this question on the Immigration forum they will help as much as they can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.