Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

The cat bit the head off my daughters canary while she was at school. Obviously had to bury it - too much blood and gore for a 7 year old to face.
Told her Charlie had flown away to join his friends. It wasn't until many years later the grisly truth came out and my then stroppy teenage daughter didn't talk to me for days for lying to her! Who'd be a parent?
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully she will just as insensitive as my daughter ! I just opened the front door to go & hoover the car, when suddenly Alfie ( the budgie) flew straight out the door & disappeared over the roof ! Feeling really bad i shouted to my daughter upstairs " the budgies just flown away " quick as a flash she replied " great can i have a dog now? "

Nicky
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:20 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Not that slow....I grew up to earn lots of money .......paying others to move house for me cos I was too expensive..... and couldn't be arsed
So do, i and do very nicely mm
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

tommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My Daughters budgie died yesterday !

She has been overseas for the last 10 days, and gets back on Tuesday, i'm dreading the reaction when she gets back and finds out. (She's 9)

I fed it, I gave it water, but it still died on me !!!

What do I tell her ? Do I tell her when she rings, or wait till she gets back ?

It seemed perfectly OK before I went to the shops, but died within 30 minutes of me getting back.

I've normally got an answer to most things, but this has me worried :scared:
perpare her for the painful truth of life, she'll only thank you later in life. Now ring her up & do the ponty python sketch, that ought to get the message across bright & clear.......lol
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

She has been overseas for the last 10 days, and gets back on Tuesday, i'm dreading the reaction when she gets back and finds out. (She's 9)

It seemed perfectly OK before I went to the shops, but died within 30 minutes of me getting back.

When my son's kitten got killed recently I told him the truth, but do it face to face. Then you just keep an eye on them. Some children can really get depressed about it, and you don't want to let that happen. If you've already burried the bird, give it a headstone or something special and let her put flowers there if she wants to, even children need closure when they loved something very much. They also will want to know that you treated something they loved that much with decency and respect & didn't just flush it down the loo. IF she stays sad for more than 2 days sit her down and give her the "animals have brilliant lives and always leave us with something special of themselves, but most animals will not outsurvive you so learn to love them while they're with you and remember them fondly when they go" speech. My son is a very sensitive child & I was really worried he'd never want a pet again, but he really understood what I was saying and has taken it to heart. Fact is, very few animals have a lifespan as long as a human being and their death is something we have to learn to live with and deal with eventually. But then we should not let it prevent us from loving another animal again later. Best to you and her.

Last edited by G'Day; Jun 4th 2005 at 12:12 am.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:04 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by floss
Oh the traumas of being a parent - they never tell about this stuff at anti-natal classes!!
I like the idea of 'anti-natal classes' Where can I sign up for them?

Anya.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Hello
Yes i think the best way is to wait for your daughter to come back of her holiday and than tell her.
We have had 3 cats which got run over just outside are old house,Than shannon had 2 hamster which died and cally had 1 hamster and a gigepig.
I told them that there are in heaven and having fun now.Yes the kids were upset cryed every now and again put there do talk about there pets and keep them in there heart.
My heart goes out to your daughter becaues i now how upseting it can be like all us lot who has lot pets in the past.
People think we are mad to love are pets but i can tell you we are not.
I wish you the world of luck with your Little girl.
Just take care and see if should would like a new pet.

Take care
AnnMarie
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:26 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

When I was little my rabbit died when I was on my hols so my mum told me that he met a girl rabbit and ran off to live happily ever after. I was happy with that explanation. Good luck
Sarah
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:39 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with the honesty......she will get over it.

my own solution to having to face this problem is not having any pets!!! mind you, we do live in the tiniest house anyway....so no room!

good luck abcd.......we shall all cross our fingers for you she doesnt take it too badly.

and as for the rest of you - you are all very wicked.........................but VERY funny !!!

sue
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:45 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

All you can do is tell her the truth and give her comfort and support if she appears to need it.
I would probably point out that this is a natural occurrence that all living beings are subject to.
Let her know its ok to feel sad about this and to express that. Let her know that while it is painful and a time of mourning for her, the pain will pass.
If she feels strong grief, I'd let that take its course before suggesting to her a replacement pet.

Good luck
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:47 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
All you can do is tell her the truth and give her comfort and support if she appears to need it.
I would probably point out that this is a natural occurrence that all living beings are subject to.
Let her know its ok to feel sad about this and to express that. Let her know that while it is painful and a time of mourning for her, the pain will pass.
If she feels strong grief, I'd let that take its course before suggesting to her a replacement pet.

Good luck
PS: I'd tell her when she gets back. If she asks why you didn't tell her sooner, just say you thought it would be better to hear it once she was home, not over the phone, a long way from home.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by teach
When I was little my rabbit died when I was on my hols so my mum told me that he met a girl rabbit and ran off to live happily ever after. I was happy with that explanation. Good luck
Sarah
That's a nice way to put it. Not sure she'd believe me though !

There's been some good replies, and given me a smile or two

But... why did it have to happen while she was away, i've got another 2 days to sweat on this ! The worry factor for me is increasing as the day gets closer.

Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:55 am
Banned

But... why did it have to happen while she was away, i've got another 2 days to sweat on this ! The worry factor for me is increasing as the day gets closer.
I don't envy you having to tell her but from it she will learn how to process this type of pain. The rabbit story was interesting but in the end whenever my parents said stuff like that I later felt cheated. I had a right to know and a right to mourn.
I know that may seem strange but it is only as adults we realise the importance of honesty and support from our parents. A parent can't and shouldn't aim to protect their children from the world; they if anything should hope to prepare them to cope with it in a way so as to maximise the positive in their future lives and opportunities and minimize and manage risk and pain.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nightmare..as you say 'why happen while shes away' I bet your daughter will be upset but fine about it, especially when she sees how worried you are about it all...

Try not to worry to much about it, she`ll be fine.

Sue
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:27 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

I feel wholly responsible for my son's hamster dying when he wa younger. Having a very very elderly father with a heart condition I happened to say to someone one day "I wish the hamster would die so that my son can get an idea of losing someone before his grandad pops off."

Next day, stiff as a board! Hamster not grandad :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.