my daughter

Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

susanf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my daughter

please help !!!

we are all set to go - although our daughter wants to stay here. shes 15 and does her GCSE's in jun08. I know it will be great for her to pass her exams because shes doing really well. but the thought of her staying here and living with grandma upsets me.
Has anybody out there been in the same situation.
what exams do they do in Oz and at what age ?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my daughter

Originally Posted by susanf View Post
please help !!!

we are all set to go - although our daughter wants to stay here. shes 15 and does her GCSE's in jun08. I know it will be great for her to pass her exams because shes doing really well. but the thought of her staying here and living with grandma upsets me.
Hi,

I don't know the answer to this, leaving someone behind, even for a short time is such a personal choice to make and one only you and your family can do. They leave school here at 17/18 and their exams are taken in year 12.

This should answer some questions about schools in Australia http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/S...hoolSystem.htm

I hope you all come to some arrangement that you are all comfortable with
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

susanf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Hi,

I don't know the answer to this, leaving someone behind, even for a short time is such a personal choice to make and one only you and your family can do. They leave school here at 17/18 and their exams are taken in year 12.

This should answer some questions about schools in Australia http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/S...hoolSystem.htm

I hope you all come to some arrangement that you are all comfortable with
Thanks Wendy

I know its a tough one. I cant wait to start living my dream !!!!
thanks for the website its a great help.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy

I know its a tough one. I cant wait to start living my dream !!!!
thanks for the website its a great help.

Kids eh, you can't live with them...you can't kill them

I think it's a normal thing, most teens go through at this stage of things. My lad was the same although he was younger at 13. But now he's here, he loves it.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

I know it probably not what you want to hear but personally I think you should let her stay and do her GCSE's. We bought my daughter here when she was 15 and she found it bloody hard work!! and we put her back a year. She really should have just come out validated her visa and went back to finish school, I know it seems a long time to be away from them, but as I went through it I can only speak from my own personal experience and I would say let her finish her studies there, I wish i had let mine go back, although shes still at school here she was really motivated back in UK came here, started TEE (equivilent to A level), struggled and really has just given up the whole plot!!

Sorry to sound negative but if she really wants to stay let her do it, she can still come here and go onto college/uni..

kath
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

please help !!!

we are waiting until our son passes his GCSE's in June before we go. As previously mentioned it is a personal choice and i really empathise with you leaving family behind. we are also leaving our eldest lad here so its a killer i know. good luck with the decision.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CathnPaul View Post
we are waiting until our son passes his GCSE's in June before we go. As previously mentioned it is a personal choice and i really empathise with you leaving family behind. we are also leaving our eldest lad here so its a killer i know. good luck with the decision.

You know where I am if you find it tough (which you probably will) in the first few months. I know what it's like to leave one behind, so if you want a chat about it just PM me.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
You know where I am if you find it tough (which you probably will) in the first few months. I know what it's like to leave one behind, so if you want a chat about it just PM me.
superstar
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CathnPaul View Post
superstar
One thing I will say is that I talk to him more now than when I was living in the same house!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said it's a personal choice.

I was supposed to go over 2 years ago but due to personal reasons I didnt go.

My second oldest was due to start her gcses in the september and I'd put my house on the market. I promised her that if she started her GCSE's I would take the house off and stay here another 2 years for her to finish her exams. We are now going in August this year and I have no regrets about staying on the extra 2 years.

Shes been able to continue with her studies and is doing well so far. I thought it unfair to have her trying to study for important exams while trying to fit in with a new set of friends/environment etc. I think that it was worth it, but its all down to whats best for the family. As it tured out I have done the right thing for us.

Tracey
Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:14 pm
Tiger Barker

tigerbarker is on a distinguished road

Hi

We are leaving in March and our son is due to take his GCSE's in Jun. He has finished all his course work and will be sitting his GCSE's in Oz with an adjudicator, he has to sit them at the same time as they are done in the UK. He will therefore be doing them around midnight..................no problem for a teenager who lives like an owl. Asleep all day and awake all night!

Good luck with your family