Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My children's education.....will it suffer

My children's education.....will it suffer

Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My children's education.....will it suffer

Originally Posted by martynm
Also that the general Ozzie degree is generally less well thought of than many other countries.

Any comments would help ?
Well, to get a degree in Oz, in my experience, you had to get at least 50%. I see that uni of reading gives u a pass with 35%.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I received an Australian state education from start to finish, and it's served me well in the UK. My wife is a high school teacher in a Birmingham suburb, so I also have some insight into the UK education system.

On the basis of my experience in Australia and the UK, I have no hesitation in saying that your kids will be fine in Australia.

There are plenty of very decent state schools out there, all of them perfectly capable of educating youngsters to a high standard.

Bollocks. If that was true, we wouldn't have more than 230,000 international uni students flooding into the country every year - many of them from places like Japan, where a superior education is highly valued, and nobody settles for anything less than the best.
Now thats what I like to hear, tell it like it is vash
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: My children's education.....will it suffer

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Now thats what I like to hear, tell it like it is vash
Thanks; my pleasure.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 7:44 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Also that the general Ozzie degree is generally less well thought of than many other countries.

Bollocks. If that was true, we wouldn't have more than 230,000 international uni students flooding into the country every year - many of them from places like Japan, where a superior education is highly valued, and nobody settles for anything less than the best.
Agreed - many Ozzie degrees are recognised as world-class, and many Oz unis are now attracting students whose other preferences include Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, etc.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 8:03 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the bears' wife had my primary and two years secondary education in Melbourne in the 80's.
We did a lot of exercise and outdoor activities which you would expect in schools in these climates.
However, we also had night BBQ's and sleepovers :scared:
I hear you screaming from here!!
These were the most memorable times of my life - the boys in one end of the school and girls in the other. Our headmaster brought his telescope to look at the stars and we had treasure hunts around the monsterous grounds.
There are not 'bossy' dinner ladies at lunchtimes - only one teacher monitoring the whole playground - reducing the 'he did this and she did that' because by the time you found her/him it was time to go in
Secondary school was good too. It was laid back learning without the constant pressure in our schools here.
I came to U.K and what a shock. My easy life was one hell of a rollercoaster without the handlebars.
Pressure - with a capital P. It was all about who got the top marks and who was kissing who (and more). This was the 3rd year of school (year 9).
You are making the right decision for education and lifestyle.
My opinion is that the standards of the British education system slipped by many years ago with the behaviour of pupils and the nil rights of teachers. And I work in a secondary school in Oldham.
Hope this helps
J x
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:23 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks; my pleasure.
And what catastrophe would London suffer if all the qualified (and non qualified) Australian and New Zealand workers left?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is in a state primary school and I feel her education is far more rounded. In the past few weeks she has had to take part in a debate (she won hers) and also create a game using powerpoint (including designing cd covers etc) all about the government, besides doing all the usual maths and english stuff.
When we first arrived she was ahead in some things and behind in others but it wasn't a problem as the school did everything they could to help her.
People in the UK might say that Uni degrees aren't rated in the UK, the same could be said for UK unis here I think too.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:17 am
Just Joined

kits is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by martynm
Now I know this may be a 'starter for 10' (as Bamber Gascgoine would say), but I've heard some fairly interesting remarks about the standard of education in Oz, not so much the facilities in the schools but more around the comparable level of curriculum for thier age. (i.e way behind)

Mine are 6 and 4 so I'm worrying early, but this is a really important part of our decision and as we've just posted our medicals and are almost at completion I'm starting to think I should have investigated a bit earlier in the process!!!!

Any comments would help ?
Schools are of high standards. We moved here in Brisbane from the US. My children went to a private British School in the US for 5 years and now they go to a State HS here in Brisbane that offers International Baccalaureate. So I wouldn't say that Ozzie degree is generally less than any other countries.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
Agreed - many Ozzie degrees are recognised as world-class, and many Oz unis are now attracting students whose other preferences include Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, etc.
Two of my colleagues have just been given a Nobel Prize, I work at the University of Western Australia. Lots of very well regarded students come from here including the current yard of ale world record holder (and former PM) Bob Hawke.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:20 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

"China, with 26,844 student enrolments, was Australia’s number one source country for international students"

Made in China
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

- many of them from places like Japan, where a superior education is highly valued, and nobody settles for anything less than the best.
Actually in Japan, it isn't the quality of the education that counts, it is the name of school you went to - so they are probably coming to Oz for different reasons than you suggest.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
For example Bond Uni on the Gold Coast... Which only just missed a place in the final 8 of the Jessup Mooting (legal arguement) Comeptition (the most prestigious moot comp. in the world) after losing to Columbia Uni (USA); who then went on to win!

Applications to study law at bond have sky rocketted since the moot finals! Bond Law rocks (yes I'm biased)
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:05 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jib
"China, with 26,844 student enrolments, was Australia’s number one source country for international students"

Made in China
Alot of people from Asian countries come to study in OZ not because of the quality of the education but because it would help them be able to immigrate to OZ.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: My children's education.....will it suffer

Originally Posted by thebears
And what catastrophe would London suffer if all the qualified (and non qualified) Australian and New Zealand workers left?
errr the Walkabout and the Redback would go bust?

Buzzy
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:23 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
errr the Walkabout and the Redback would go bust?

Buzzy
And the banks wouldn't be able to cope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.