Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My boss is a gimp!

My boss is a gimp!

Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:20 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default My boss is a gimp!

Ok, here's the story.

We were originally going in January, but nice rellie offered a flat to use for nothing over Christmas in Sydney.

I'm supposed to give 3 months notice but only gave 2. My boss is top bloke and said he'd sort it.

So flights paid for, accommodation in Sinapore and Brisbane booked.

Today, my boss's boss (to be referred to that tw*t) from now has said he wants me to stay for three months.

Can someone please advise as to what's the worse that can happen, especially re ref's. I've been here ten months and have ref's from main previous job.

Any descriptive language re the tw*t is grately appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:23 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My boss is a gimp!

I'm the same - 3 months notice (grrr)

As far as I know, you can leave before the notice period is up, but you won't get paid, obviously, and I think it *technically* is at the discretion of your employer.

I know people where I work who have left early with no great drama.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:30 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by diddy
Ok, here's the story.

We were originally going in January, but nice rellie offered a flat to use for nothing over Christmas in Sydney.

I'm supposed to give 3 months notice but only gave 2. My boss is top bloke and said he'd sort it.

Today, my boss's boss (to be referred to that tw*t) from now has said he wants me to stay for three months.

Can someone please advise as to what's the worse that can happen, especially re ref's. I've been here ten months and have ref's from main previous job.

Thanks,

Paul.
I don't think he can change his mind.

I'd remind him he originally said it was OK. You then incurred expenditure on the strength of his supposed co-operation.

Why not ask him if he would be honourable enough to reimburse your costs?
If he won't then hold him to the agreement and complain to Personnel.

I suppose you couldn't take a holiday as part of the notice period?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:33 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
I don't think he can change his mind.

I'd remind him he originally said it was OK. You then incurred expenditure on the strength of his supposed co-operation.

Why not ask him if he would be honourable enough to reimburse your costs?
If he won't then hold him to the agreement and complain to Personnel.

I suppose you couldn't take a holiday as part of the notice period?
Good argument.

On the holiday thing, no dont't have any left.

Does anyone know the score references?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:35 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Good argument.

On the holiday thing, no dont't have any left.

Does anyone know the score references?

The way I've been taught is that you can't give a bad reference to someone, you can only opt to give them no reference at all.

Do you need references from this company, given that you've been there such a short period of time? If so, can someone other than the top boss give you a nice, glowing ref?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:39 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by bundy
The way I've been taught is that you can't give a bad reference to someone, you can only opt to give them no reference at all.

Do you need references from this company, given that you've been there such a short period of time? If so, can someone other than the top boss give you a nice, glowing ref?
I'm gonna try for that, but it's whether anyone writes here directly and they rfuse a reference.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:42 am
She's a bird, you know

I'm gonna try for that, but it's whether anyone writes here directly and they rfuse a reference.
Hmmmm......tricky one. I guess you just have to give the name of someone who can be relied upon to give you a good reference.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:53 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Why not go to your doctors complain of stress and a back ache - i betcha the quack would sign you off for a few weeks??

Last edited by wargod; Sep 27th 2004 at 11:59 am.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:56 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Nowadays because of the potential litigation connected to a bad reference, many employers have a policy of simply not giving references, full stop. Even good ones!

Surely all you need is confirmation that you worked in a certain role with specific tasks? I assume for the work experience related 10 points?

Does it have to be a really rosy reference?

If not, could Personnel give a reference that covered all the salient details?

Last edited by SunshineGirl; Sep 27th 2004 at 11:57 am. Reason: Spelling error
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:59 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by wargod
Why not go to your doctors complain of stress and a back ache - i betcha the quack woiuld sign you off for a few weeks??

....as an absolute last resort, and it makes me wince because of all those (me included) who have legitimately required time off work.

On the practical side of things you self-certificate for the first week then need a certificate from the doc after that. Technically there's nothing to stop you doing it except for the obvious fact that you have to see the doc to get signed off and you won't actually be in the country!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

tranquilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: My boss is a gimp!

From my understanding (and with recent personal exp) a month is standard unless you have a specific clause in your contract. And even with a month you have to have been working for over a year for it to kick in. Dont worry about it.

And I agree with Sunshinegirl, dont hold your breath for a reference, Austrailian bosses are notoriously bad at it, esp written ones since the maj. of middle managers no longer have any professional writng skills. Its all network,network,network in the land of 'no class barriers'.

Next prospective employer just tell them the situation, if they need your skills they'll take you.....unless you move to Darwin inwhich case you'll need to have rellies in personnel
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:29 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Ok, here's the story.

Thanks,

Paul.

Officially your notice period is limited to one month if you are paid monthly, or one week if paid weekly. Unless there is a formal, signed (by both parties) contract that states otherwise, or your departure could have a detrimental effect on the business (normally only applies to directors etc).

As for references an employer can issue a bad reference, but could be libeled for it, general practice would be to decline to provide a reference.

Obviously you would only be paid until you go.

Also try and get P45 straight away so that you can send it with form IR85 to the Inland Revenue prior to leaving UK, then you will get tax refund etc easier to sort her than from down under.

So in summary tell em to poke it, and go!

Good Luck

Paul J
Old Sep 28th 2004, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Don't be to sure about the reference side of things. I went for a job and they emailed my 2 referees straight away for a reference!!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 5:26 am

gedge has disabled reputation

If you're on good terms with your immediate boss, speak to him about a reference. He owes you that.
All my referees are people I've worked for and got on with. If I didn't get on with them I'd find someone else who I would want a potential employer to speak to.
If you need an official document with your roles and responsibilites, ask HR, they can't refuse that.
Same as Billibong, my references were checked and worked out fine