Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My bloods not good enough!!!!!

My bloods not good enough!!!!!

Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:27 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My bloods not good enough!!!!!

I used to give blood as often as I could in the U.K. Thought I'd continue to do so here. Not so, it appears that our true blue Pommie blood's not good enough here in Aussie.
Bloody donors

"You will not be able to give blood if you have:

a history of intravenous drug use
practised male to male sex within the past 12 months (a waiting period applies)
had a tattoo in the past 12 months (a waiting period applies)
spent a cumulative period of six months or more in the United Kingdom between 1980 and 1996
been in a prison lock up in the past 12 months (a waiting period applies)
are HIV positive, have been diagnosed with AIDS or hepatitis"
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:34 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: My bloods not good enough!!!!!

Originally Posted by cresta57
I used to give blood as often as I could in the U.K. Thought I'd continue to do so here. Not so, it appears that our true blue Pommie blood's not good enough here in Aussie.
Bloody donors

"You will not be able to give blood if you have:

a history of intravenous drug use
practised male to male sex within the past 12 months (a waiting period applies)
had a tattoo in the past 12 months (a waiting period applies)
spent a cumulative period of six months or more in the United Kingdom between 1980 and 1996
been in a prison lock up in the past 12 months (a waiting period applies)
are HIV positive, have been diagnosed with AIDS or hepatitis"
Yeah I put this on here a little while ago, something to do with mad cow desease

Kala A- if anyone wants some and dont mind pommy blood
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:35 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Sean, which one applies to you :scared:
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:40 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Dunno but I hope it's a long waiting period before I have to have sex with a man :scared:

Could be guilty of having it away with a mad cow though

Nothing wrong with my A+
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:41 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kala
Yeah I put this on here a little while ago, something to do with mad cow desease

Here's the thread,

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=blood
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno but I hope it's a long waiting period before I have to have sex with a man :scared:

Nothing wrong with my A+

Thats very wicked, but funny

Whisky
Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:53 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by kala

I remember the post - their reserves obviously can't be that low, or anyone one's blood would do
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Actually Cresta the REAL reason they don't let Poms give blood is that the alcohol content is too high ( due to the high strength lager!)!!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to have a blood transfusion when I had my first born 12 years ago. Have continued giving blood when allowed (between kids) but am now not allowed to. If I have mad cow's (hubby says no question!) I must have given it to loads.

For anyone who has or knows someone who has mad cows I hope I haven't upset you.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 2:17 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Nothing wrong with my A+

Cresta,

the US won't accept it either!
Well, it dosen't matter we are too mad to let it get to us

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 9th 2004, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

roiboit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I remember the post - their reserves obviously can't be that low, or anyone one's blood would do

Actually I just read an article at the beginning of the week (I think it was the Australian) where the Red Cross stated their reserves were at an extremely low level and that some hospitals were going to have to dip into their emergency reserves!

I suppose they are just being extra cautious to avoid a tainted blood scandal in coming years like some countries had with AIDS.
(I don't know if this happened at all in the UK but in France the French continued using untested blood even after a test for the virus was discovered resulting in the infection and subsequent death of several hundred people who received the tainted blood during transfusions)

roiboit
Old Sep 9th 2004, 2:44 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Brilliant reply - wanted to send you karma for this but have already given out too much in the last 24 hours. Will add you to my list and send you some as soon as am allowed.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:18 pm
Brisbane 7th December

pocketdynamo125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
Brilliant reply - wanted to send you karma for this but have already given out too much in the last 24 hours. Will add you to my list and send you some as soon as am allowed.

Must be too many donations.................................
Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:54 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Cresta,

the US won't accept it either!
Well, it dosen't matter we are too mad to let it get to us

Bye
Mark
Sad but true...

Along with my universal donor card in my wallet I still keep my UK blood donor card - if anyone doesn't have one in the UK you should start donating blood...? just because the plastic blue card states "I do something amazing. I give blood" - on bad days this card gives me a lift.

I cannot donate blood in Aus because of having lived in the UK between the 'infected' years. But I have not given up yet....I have been back to the UK since I have been here and will make trips back again...and I try and fit in a blood donation trip when there. Minor minor contribution I know....but if it came to it and me or any of my family needed life saving blood for what ever reason here in Aus....I at least made an effort.

On a similair topic - My family know my wishes...if I go before any of them....any bits of me that will help others are theirs to give away? At this point do the recipients care that I might be a mad cow? Possibly now in the age of litigation they will have to sign in triplicate that the donor was a mad cow from Ireland and the UK ....but for the recipient of my bits....to help them live a more normal life...or extend their life a little, I think the risk of contanimation of CJD is well worth the risk.

The only thing I find annoying......is work related donation drives, two years plus here and I am still explaining that they do not want my blood I am not avoiding or not being 'Aussstraaaiian' to work colleagues. Possibly this is the reason I still have my Uk card....to prove to the persistent here I do care and would give blood but cannnot?

...PS......what years ......up to 1996....bugger that rules out quite a few returning Aussies who spent a working year in the UK...?

Sorry for going on....but because I have never given blood in Aus ...can someone who does read this far answer the question....do you get asked about details when dontating the blood or is it like the UK and you have to tick the boxes before you do it.

Finally I have got to my point......if I was not honest....could I give blood in Aus?

Thanks for reading?!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:04 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Just reread my whole ......boring bit above...

in summary....

If I went to a blood donor session here in Aus and did not tick the box that I spent time in the UK during those years...Can I dontate blood?

Do the Aus blood donation services test for HIV, Hep A, B, etc etc

Do Aus have private family blood banks services like the US?

Cheers Again...and again...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.