Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

my baby is very big will he fit.........

my baby is very big will he fit.........

Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my baby is very big will he fit.........

We are hoping to be going out to oz in april, house sale permitting .
we have 3 small people. the youngest will be 7 months when we go. until now we have been planning on him going as an infant without his own seat. today i went into a travel agents to find out about flight prices. she said that she didn't think he would fit a bassinet. he is very big fo his age (approx 19lb at 41/2 months).

does anyone have experience of travelling with babies? would we be better paying for a seat for him?
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

He is quite big my youngest is at the other end of the scale 21lb at 2yrs 10m !!!!! shes tiny.
You will have to choose between having him on your lap or getting a seat .
We got a seat last year for the youngest and then took her car seat which she was very happy to sit in and it was well worth the extra seat .
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:52 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my baby is very big will he fit.........

Originally posted by bazfer
we have 3 small people. the youngest will be 7 months when we go. until now we have been planning on him going as an infant without his own seat. today i went into a travel agents to find out about flight prices. she said that she didn't think he would fit a bassinet. he is very big fo his age (approx 19lb at 41/2 months).

does anyone have experience of travelling with babies? would we be better paying for a seat for him?

sorry, not experience, but just wanted to say - WOW!!! big babe, he's only 5 pounds behind one of my twins who are nearly 3!!!

sue
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,tired with twins hyjacking this post to say yours are tiny too ?
When do they turn 3 .Molly is three 24th March.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:15 pm
WBB

my 5 month old is around 18lb, i thought this to be about average?

Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Kelly T is an unknown quantity at this point

We travelled to Adelaide last September when our youngest was 18 months.
She was also too big for a bassinet, we decided not to pay for an extra seat and saved £400.
Luckily three out of the four flights extra spare seats were arranged for us to use which really helped.
Both our children were surprisingly good considering the length of the flight.
We travelled with Malaysia Airlines and they were brilliant, the staff were very helpful.
I would definitley recommend them.
And if you could afford it pay for a seat as you are not guaranteed to have extra seats on the flight.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:38 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

can I just say how much of a pain in the arse screaming kids are on long flights?

Last time we went to Aus we were right opposite a screaming brat - the damn thing squawked for 7 hours non stop!!

I almost suffocated it with a sick bag :scared:
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:42 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

We're travelling in two weeks on our validation trip to Adelaide with my grandson who is 11 months old and weighs about 11kg.

I checked with the airline and they advised that the maximum weight for the bassinet is 16kg so I'm hoping it will be ok.

It's not the same max. on all airlines though; I read that Qantas's maximum is 11kg which is why I checked with Singapore (in a panic in case there might not be any spare seats).

When I booked our flights he was very small, I didn't envisage him growing so fast!

Elaine
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:47 pm
WBB

Originally posted by katyjoy
can I just say how much of a pain in the arse screaming kids are on long flights?

Last time we went to Aus we were right opposite a screaming brat - the damn thing squawked for 7 hours non stop!!

the maternal instinct is strong in this one.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

To avoid this temptation again choose your seat carefully. The majority of young kids seem to be seated right up the bulkhead of each section and those that missed out get lumped in the few rows behind. Take a seat up the back on any section and the chances of screamers, pukers or parents who bounce them into your face is less likely.

For a real horror story, on our last flight back from the UK 2 delightfully stupid pom parents had decided to fly with 2 kids with full blown flu. How the airline let them on is beyond me
By the end of the flight the baby, parents seats and bassinet were covered with black puke. Plus the entire front section enjoyed 13 hours of croup like death throws from both kids. Frankly some parents should be locked up.

Husbands fave tho was on the way out, the naturist aussies in front of us, had obviously not showered for at least a week, the woman persisted in doing stretches throughout the flight revealing unwashed armpit air
Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The over head lockers should be big enough.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:34 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default kids

i don`t spose you fancy looking after wenger jr sunday so i can go to da footy then
Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help-NOT
do you think the parents are sitting there sticking pins in the child just to annoy you?
Most of us would rather that our children had a happy trip for their sakes, our sakes , but in your case i wouldn't give a damn.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
The over head lockers should be big enough.
thought about shipping him, but he might need a container to himself
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my baby is very big will he fit.........

Originally posted by bazfer

Hi Bazfer
I've never been asked how heavy etc. my kids were when booking! The question would be whether you think you can manage him on your laps if you can't get skycot. If not, then consider booking another seat, but that will be very expensive.
Larissa
PS Don't listen to the wingers - they don't realise they were kids once!
PPS Doesn't sound that big!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.