Mutant prawns

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:46 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Mutant prawns

Hubby has finished work for crimbo, came home and said "willy" has given us some prawns to say thnks for driving him into work.
Prawns no way, they are 8inches long and have antena 2ft long...
What the hell am I supposed to do with them, luckily they are cooked, well they didn't wink at me!
For all who know me, a cook I am most certainly not, so any suggestions please on
a. how you eat them
b. what with, ie salad or chips or what?

Thanks guys Jenny
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mutant prawns

Originally Posted by jensteve
Hubby has finished work for crimbo, came home and said "willy" has given us some prawns to say thnks for driving him into work.
What the hell am I supposed to do with them, luckily they are cooked, well they didn't wink at me!
For all who know me, a cook I am most certainly not, so any suggestions please on
a. how you eat them

Thanks guys Jenny
Sounds like they could be Morton Bay bugs - delicious.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:17 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm prawns, yummy, dont worry, if they are pink then they are cooked . Thats what real prawns should look like, huge so you dont have to peel as many . Not the tiny pink things you get in the UK

heres an idea for a recipe for them.

CHILLI MANGO SALAD

Prawns- cooked kings (how much depends on how hungry & how many people, I use 1kg for about 4 people)
Lettuce (I use whatevers available - iceberg, cos, mixed leaves etc)
1/2 Capsicum (pepper), cut into slices
2-3 Shallots/Spring Onions (whichever one has the narrow root), chopped
1 Mango cut into slices (Ive seen what you get in the UK that pass for mango, I almost died , not sure what to suggest if you were in the UK )
Fresh Coriander leaves, chopped.

Sauce

¼-½ cup mayonnaise (I use a lowfat one & I dont usually measure, but it gives an idea)
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of crushed garlic

Throw the salad ingredients in together & add prawns. Put sauce ingredients in a jar & shake, pour over salad & gently toss.

Its such a simple salad, I quite often vary it & add things like avocado slices & cherry tomatoes sliced in half. Also adjust the sweet chili to taste. Just serve it with some turkish bread (or whatever bread you like). Very easy & very very scrummy!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:24 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hmmmmm prawns, yummy, dont worry, if they are pink then they are cooked . Thats what real prawns should look like, huge so you dont have to peel as many . Not the tiny pink things you get in the UK

heres an idea for a recipe for them.

CHILLI MANGO SALAD

Prawns- cooked kings (how much depends on how hungry & how many people, I use 1kg for about 4 people)
Lettuce (I use whatevers available - iceberg, cos, mixed leaves etc)
1/2 Capsicum (pepper), cut into slices
2-3 Shallots/Spring Onions (whichever one has the narrow root), chopped
1 Mango cut into slices (Ive seen what you get in the UK that pass for mango, I almost died , not sure what to suggest if you were in the UK )
Fresh Coriander leaves, chopped.

Sauce

¼-½ cup mayonnaise (I use a lowfat one & I dont usually measure, but it gives an idea)
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of crushed garlic

Throw the salad ingredients in together & add prawns. Put sauce ingredients in a jar & shake, pour over salad & gently toss.

Its such a simple salad, I quite often vary it & add things like avocado slices & cherry tomatoes sliced in half. Also adjust the sweet chili to taste. Just serve it with some turkish bread (or whatever bread you like). Very easy & very very scrummy!

Yum-yum!!!

I usually just marinade mine in some oyster sauce, honey, garlic, brown sugar and whatever else I can get my hands on.... then sling them on the BBQ 4-24hours later
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

a. how you eat them

Thanks guys Jenny
Mango salad sounds divine...will have to try that.

But if you want them served warm - my Dad always serves prawns like he ate them in Mocambique as a child......

Melt salted butter in wok like pan, add some cayenne pepper or an oil-based chilli sauce (it's a mocambique thing!) - then when the butter is boiling hot - throw in the prawns and let them soak up all the butter and chilli/cayenne flavour. Then serve and eat!!

Make sure you cook them enough so that the skin and legs are crispy - so you can munch them off!!!

We always eat it with a fresh salad, rice and fresh bread!!!!

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:29 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, for green prawns you cant beat a simple marinade (I particularly like garlic & lemon, yum ) & then cooked on the BBQ.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Talking Re: Mutant prawns

stick loads of butter in a frying pan
when it starts to froth , add chilli flakes, crushed garlic and chooped parsley, add the prawns- - cook for 3 mins

serve hot drizzled with all the garlicy buttery juices and a squeeze of lemon
mop up the buttery juices with thick crusty white bread

yum- its making me hungry thinking about it !!

Nat xxx

this dish is not good for your arteries but good for your soul !!!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing beats nice fresh great big king prawns simply slapped between 2 nice crusty slices of bread with REAL butter and just a wee bit of seafood sauce...and a really cold glass of Chardonay....

I dont like to add anything much to something that is already PERFECT!!

Gawd....memories of sitting on the sand at Mooloolaba spit eating fresh prawns just this way.........Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

they are 8inches long and have antena 2ft long...

Oh, and for those who have never been prawn shopping...if their antenna are that long....it means they havent been frozen. It means they came in off the boat, cooked and into your shopping bag...which is the BEST!!!!

If they had been frozen, the antenna have usually been snapped off.....Hope this helps anyone wanting to buy the best prawns...

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:46 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hels
Oh, and for those who have never been prawn shopping...if their antenna are that long....it means they havent been frozen. It means they came in off the boat, cooked and into your shopping bag...which is the BEST!!!!

If they had been frozen, the antenna have usually been snapped off.....Hope this helps anyone wanting to buy the best prawns...

Thanks for all the replies, pinky and perky are in the fridge, waiting to be eaten....

Jenny
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for all the replies, pinky and perky are in the fridge, waiting to be eaten....

Jenny

LOL....pinky and perky.....

Thats what my hubby calls my......... never mind.....

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
Sounds like they could be Morton Bay bugs - delicious.
Somehow "prawn" sounds much nicer than "bug"...