Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Must visit/do's before we leave UK / Europe

Must visit/do's before we leave UK / Europe

Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:49 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Must visit/do's before we leave UK / Europe

On top of all the preparations for the move we will have lots of family and friends to visit (and BE meets) which won't leave too much spare time. We are planning on taking our 7 year old daughter to London to see the sights at Easter and are thinking about Venice but does anyone have any other suggestions for "must do's" while we still have the change in the UK / Europe?
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Default Re: Must visit/do's before we leave UK / Europe

Originally Posted by worzel
On top of all the preparations for the move we will have lots of family and friends to visit (and BE meets) which won't leave too much spare time. We are planning on taking our 7 year old daughter to London to see the sights at Easter and are thinking about Venice but does anyone have any other suggestions for "must do's" while we still have the change in the UK / Europe?
I did Prague as one of mine....... i also MUST see Scotland and Ireland(as have never been) but my last holiday before i go will be in June to Kenya.

I would be kicking myself forever if my daughter and I never visited Africa and did a safari and im pretty sure it will never happen once we go......so thats mine

To be honest if you are on limited time, and have a long list, i would skip Venice. I think its quite overrated- but if youve been around(so to speak ) you may as well.

Last edited by desperate2go; Jan 25th 2005 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:18 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

We will be 'doing' London in April, combining it with hubby's 3rd London Marathon so we will have to wait and see how much he is up for! He is going on a skiing holiday with the lads next week and I have got a girlie trip to Ireland to look forward to over Easter.

Like you say, lots of friends and family to catch up with - each trip out just makes you appreciate all the more what you would normally take for granted on the scenery and architecture fronts. I will be sad to leave the familiar beauty of our country behind and I look a sad nutter at the moment walking round with an inane appreciative beam on my face. Lots to look forward to though too . . . .

Binbird (the one of many faces)

Last edited by binbird; Jan 25th 2005 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:31 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Two things that I'm going to try to do is go to Portmerion (the village in the cult 60's programme, The Prisoner) and see an Old Firm match. Although the first is certainly possible, the words "Old Firm tickets" and "rocking horse poo" spring to mind. If by chance I get to do both, I'll leave these shores a happy man.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 7:44 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking along similar lines. My "list" includes Bruges (Brugge in Belgium) and Amsterdam [been to both before years and years ago, but husband has never been], and Boston and San Francisco and surrounding areas (never been).

Realistically, I doubt we'll make it to the US, unless we fly to OZ via the US and do a couple of stop-overs.

Gina
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I'd taken my 7 year old daughter to Paris, but the opportunity to go fizzled away as we spent longer selling our house than anticipated. She would really have appreciated it as she's already a bit of a culture vulture! I've promised to take her when she's older, then we can eat croissants, attempt some French and go up the Eiffel tower together.
ATB
Larissa
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:36 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

I've never been to Scandinavia. Would love to have seen Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki and the Northern Lights. Also the cheese rolling festival in Gloucestershire. What a mad event
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Originally Posted by fireeater
I've never been to Scandinavia. Would love to have seen Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki and the Northern Lights. Also the cheese rolling festival in Gloucestershire. What a mad event
I have a need to soak up history before we go so Prague is booked I would like to see York Minster again and Turkey in May (if Man U getto the final !!)
Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:21 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by desperate2go
To be honest if you are on limited time, and have a long list, i would skip Venice. I think its quite overrated- but if youve been around(so to speak ) you may as well.
oooo, don't miss Venice, I thought it was fab - went in March time, so not too many touristos, no heat or smell, or flooding!

Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:37 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys.

I am keen on some of the other European destinations but wife isn't so keen on Scandinavia, Belgium etc but would do Prague, Amsterdam, Venice.

I will try and squeeze NY/San Francisco [thinks baggage allowance]and Dubai into our validation and emigration trips.

What you have made me realise is that me, and to a slightly lesser extent my wife, have done much of this stuff already (Scotland, Ireland, Paris, York, big football matches) but we haven't done much of this with our daughter. We will have to work on that a bit. Paris again (& Eurodisney perhaps) next?.

I feel a bit guilty that we are so close to Birmingham and it must have something touristy to do but I can't think of anything other than the Sea Life Centre.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:53 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

I feel a bit guilty that we are so close to Birmingham and it must have something touristy to do but I can't think of anything other than the Sea Life Centre.
Dudley zoo, Midland safari park, Black country museum, Canal side walks... the list is endless

San Fransisco sounds good, though

Carl
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Cheers guys.

I am keen on some of the other European destinations but wife isn't so keen on Scandinavia, Belgium etc but would do Prague, Amsterdam, Venice.

I will try and squeeze NY/San Francisco [thinks baggage allowance]and Dubai into our validation and emigration trips.

What you have made me realise is that me, and to a slightly lesser extent my wife, have done much of this stuff already (Scotland, Ireland, Paris, York, big football matches) but we haven't done much of this with our daughter. We will have to work on that a bit. Paris again (& Eurodisney perhaps) next?.

THE CADBURYS FACTORY.......come on
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fireeater
Dudley zoo, Midland safari park, Black country museum, Canal side walks... the list is endless

San Fransisco sounds good, though

Carl
That made me chuckle fireeater!!!
My 'to do' is the Cadbury chocolate factory as I have lived next to it for eight years and I have never been!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:59 pm
A former regular of BE

Thinking about it we have done:

Cadbury World as a birthday present a few years back
Ironbridge last year (similar to Black Country Museum)
WM Safari Park (twice)
not Dudley Zoo but Chester Zoo a good few times (and several in Aus)
and we prefer our walks in the Lakes or Wales (must arrange some more of those)

so I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty about missing local stuff as we have done a lot of it over the last few years.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 2:23 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Carl B
Two things that I'm going to try to do is go to Portmerion (the village in the cult 60's programme, The Prisoner) and see an Old Firm match. Although the first is certainly possible, the words "Old Firm tickets" and "rocking horse poo" spring to mind. If by chance I get to do both, I'll leave these shores a happy man.
You must be looking in the wrong places, i have been when i was younger and my mates who still goto football (Chelsea) still go up to Old firm games.
try looking at this site

www.rivals.net

and log on to the Celtic/Rangers site and ask about, there is normally a spare knocking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.