Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)

Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)

Old Feb 19th 2016, 10:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Things I have liked in Sydney:-

1. Meeting Dreamy (and Mr Dreamy)
2. Meeting Seasider (and Mr Seasider)
3. Meeting Moneypenny
4. The ferry ride to Manly with the above women
5. The departure lounge at Kingsford Smith
Yeh I'm hoping to see Seasider if I can figure out the trains is money penny in Sydney ...I didn't know that.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 10:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Do you guys find the ferry ride to Manly interesting? Just another painful way to get to Manly to visit people who lock themselves into the insular peninsular and never come out.
Not so much. However the ferry ride I took with the girls was just very memorable.
Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yeh I'm hoping to see Seasider if I can figure out the trains is money penny in Sydney ...I didn't know that.
No MP is on the Gold Coast but she came down to Sydney when I went over a few years ago. Then again the following year she surprised me when the ex took me to Sydney for my birthday.

Just to add... you're going to love Seasider. She's one of my favourite people.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 8:52 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much. However the ferry ride I took with the girls was just very memorable.
I think the poor woman who was sat next to us is still having nightmares about it
Old Feb 20th 2016, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Do you guys find the ferry ride to Manly interesting? Just another painful way to get to Manly to visit people who lock themselves into the insular peninsular and never come out.
It gave a different view of the Opera House, which was great for photos. It was short enough to not get bored.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Beoz;11867136]The Spit to Manly walk is supposed to be excellent. Never done it myself.]

I've done this a couple of times - beautiful scenery.
The ferry back from Manly after dark is nice for good views of the city at night.

I also really like wandering around the Rocks area, though that could be because I've lived in Brisbane too long and so now find any history/old buildings interesting....

If you have time a trip out to the Blue Mountains would be good.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Is there plenty of free wi-fi about Sydney?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 9:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Things I have liked in Sydney:-

1. Meeting Dreamy (and Mr Dreamy)
2. Meeting Seasider (and Mr Seasider)
3. Meeting Moneypenny
4. The ferry ride to Manly with the above women
5. The departure lounge at Kingsford Smith

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I think the poor woman who was sat next to us is still having nightmares about it
That was such a great weekend. Haven't laughed that much in a long long time.

No MP is on the Gold Coast but she came down to Sydney when I went over a few years ago. Then again the following year she surprised me when the ex took me to Sydney for my birthday.

Just to add... you're going to love Seasider. She's one of my favourite people.
Sorry BB, can't make it down to surprise you as well. Was tricky enough to surprise Dozza. We didn't even manage to get the ribbon tied around me Have a great visit.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not to my recollection. I was amazed whe I got to the UK as it is everywhere, I had no idea of the free wifi concept after five years in Sydney! But it could have changed in the last twelve months, so would need to caveat.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 10:51 am

Yes plenty in Penang too. How strange.

But the trains would have wifi surely?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes plenty in Penang too. How strange.

But the trains would have wifi surely?
Why surely?

Anyway don't know. Never have been on a train in Sydney.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 11:53 am

Erh..is it not what one expects these days? But maybe Sydney is different . Well it will be interesting for sure
Old Feb 27th 2016, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Erh..is it not what one expects these days? But maybe Sydney is different . Well it will be interesting for sure
We've had free WiFi in lots of places in Brisbane for a long time (including trains) so would be surprised if the bigger Sydney didn't Now covers most of the CBD, inner city parks and tourist spots in Brisbane.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't have a clue. The locals just use their phones. I guess you will need it because you will be on a foreign phone?

Try this googled site.

Where to find free Wifi in Sydney - Sydney Moving Guide
Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:43 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Was in Sydney 2013 when I ran the Sydney Marathon. The day before we went to Taronga Zoo by boat from Sydney Harbour both were good. We ate pizza at, 'La Rosa' Italian café upstairs at a shopping mall in Sydney the night before the Sydney Marathon. It was a proper low lit Italian restaurant. No blokes in black pinstripe suits carrying violin cases but still !

My husband got his pizza for free as they said they burnt the first one they made. I don't know why they told him but hey !

When we went to Australia in 2002 for a holiday from Britain, we stayed at a hotel in Rushcutters Bay.

Don't be put off Kings Cross because of it's reputation as the city's red light district. In daytime it's ok. We had lunch there and sat next to a fountain outside the police station. I got a bacon sandwich from a café there early one morning during daylight hours.

You can walk on the pedestrian footway aka pavement across Sydney Harbour Bridge, for free. You don't have to walk over the arch. If you don't feel like walking back over the bridge, you can catch a train. We did.

The Sydney Opera house is ok for a photo but that's about it unless you are there to see a performance.

Walk around the harbour past the Opera House to Mrs Macquaries Chair just for a walk. Keep walking and you will see naval ships, at a navy base across the water. We turned around back towards the Opera House at that point !

We got a sunset harbour cruise by taking the last cruise around the harbour as the sun was setting.

We drove out to the Blue Mountains, about two hours drive away from Sydney. Very picturesque. The little town of Toowoomba is ok too.

We walked the 'thousand steps' down to the bottom of the valley at the, 'Blue Mountains'. It was beautiful. Where ever you are in the world when you walk down a flight of steps you are looking outwards, when you walk up steps, you are facing inwards. We got the funicular railway back to the visitors centre at the top.

Most people look at the funicular railway and assume the walk back to the top of the valley can't be that bad.....

We ate in the revolving restaurant in Sydney which was an experience. (I lost a wristwatch in the back of the cab from Rushcutters bay that I had purchased in Hong Kong three days before and it was still working ! Never saw that watch again !)
Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey snapshot...just a trivial FYI, I think you meant Katoomba rather than Toowoomba.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.