Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Must read on australian education.

Must read on australian education.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Must read on australian education.

Enough inane threads so heres a serious one, and to prevent it being branded as a c&p crap I will give you the link to where its from, you can then judge the worthyness of the source. Loads of other intersting stuff there too.

www.theaustralian.com.au

Its the opinion article easy to find just look for the colourful ABC building blocks. You must read to the end tho, in true aussie newreporting we do exceedingly well in the first paragraphs, its only later in the article we find literacy tests on aussies dont count spelling mistakes and grammar and puncutuation as mistakes
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must read on australian education.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Enough inane threads so heres a serious one, and to prevent it being branded as a c&p crap I will give you the link to where its from, you can then judge the worthyness of the source. Loads of other intersting stuff there too.

www.theaustralian.com.au

Its the opinion article easy to find just look for the colourful ABC building blocks. You must read to the end tho, in true aussie newreporting we do exceedingly well in the first paragraphs, its only later in the article we find literacy tests on aussies dont count spelling mistakes and grammar and puncutuation as mistakes

thanks for that, certainly makes you think doesnt it. I will keep drumming punctuation into my kids and correct spellings and just hope that this will help them when we come over. seems crazy though doesnt it.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:56 am
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimtrish
thanks for that, certainly makes you think doesnt it. I will keep drumming punctuation into my kids and correct spellings and just hope that this will help them when we come over. seems crazy though doesnt it.

Some seem to slip through the net anywhere.
company i work for has a 17 & 19 year old working for us (the 19 year old did a year at uni) and neither can spell or write correctly - My 10 year can do better
Old Jan 5th 2005, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich

www.theaustralian.com.au

Thanks again - this was exactly what i was looking for
Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jjj
Some seem to slip through the net anywhere.
company i work for has a 17 & 19 year old working for us (the 19 year old did a year at uni) and neither can spell or write correctly - My 10 year can do better
Worked with plenty 20-something University Graduates with Degrees in Civil / Structural Engineering recently here in the UK who can't spell and whose grammar is atrocious (gawd I hope I spelt that roit!).
These are people studying to get their Chartership which involves essays, keeping work diaries and a Dissertation of many thousand words!

Not saying UK or OZ is better/worse just saying maybe it's a Global thing that the 3 R's aren't being taught as well anymore?
Old Jan 5th 2005, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Do they count spelling punctuation incorrectly also? Couldn't resist, thanks for the link.

A friend who lectures at a certain university in the UK reports that 1/3 of the undergraduates on his course attend remedial English classes!

OzTennis
Old Jan 5th 2005, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Do they count spelling punctuation incorrectly also? Couldn't resist, thanks for the link.

A friend who lectures at a certain university in the UK reports that 1/3 of the undergraduates on his course attend remedial English classes!

OzTennis

probably because their native language isnt english - nuff said!!
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

roiboit is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw this too - very disturbing after I had sent the previous articles on how great oz did in the international rankings to family members who were trying to convince us not to go!

I would like to know whether all schools in oz use the "whole language" method rather than phonetics? I know it was popular a while ago but thought that it turned out to be a flop after kids couldn't sound out a word they had never seen before.

roiboit
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:06 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html
University ranks in decline
By Samantha Maiden
January 6, 2005
THE ranks of Australia's university student community have shrunk for only the second time in more than 50 years, raising fears that increased fees are driving people out of higher education.

The number of students attending university dipped from 659,800 in 2003 to 658,048 last year. The previous decline in numbers occurred in 2000.

While the Howard Government said yesterday the decline simply reflected a booming economy and increased TAFE and apprenticeship options, universities also warned the numbers reflected the failure to fund enough student places.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...832178044.html

Tougher literacy tests on the way

By Linda Doherty, Education Editor
January 6, 2005

The Federal Government will raise the bar for assessing literacy among Australian students after it admitted that existing benchmarks were "too low".

The acknowledgement by the acting federal Minister for Education, Gary Hardgrave, follows a Herald report yesterday which revealed that children barely able to read had met the national literacy benchmark.

"We agree as a government that the benchmark is too low," he said. "We want to set a high standard; we don't believe the benchmark is high enough. It has become the lowest common denominator, but it is at least a common denominator."

The Minister for Education, Brendan Nelson, has asked a reading inquiry to investigate the minimum benchmarks used to compare students in all states and territories. But they will be used this year to identify children who failed the year 3 reading test and can access $20 million worth of federally funded vouchers to buy extra reading lessons.