Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Music/gigs/festivals

Music/gigs/festivals

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Music/gigs/festivals

I've spent the last three months travelling around Aus and have been fairly impressed with the music scene in most of the cities, even though we haven't got to many gigs.
My boyfriend and I love live music, but due to the fact we have been travelling we've failed miserably as we never seem to be in the right place at the time!
Not sure about major bands, but there seems to be a good local scene in Melbourne and Brisbane. Many pubs seem to show live bands, unlike the UK where that seems to be dying out a bit.
The Aussie defo love their live music, although they seem to veer towards the 80s rock sound!
The Melbourne suburbs have loads of venues, and the Valley in Brisbane (where I'm staying for the next three months!) has a decent scene.
There didn't seem to be much going on in Perth, while Sydney is probably good but because there are so many suburbs, which all seem to have their own venues, it's difficult to get around to them all.
There also seems to be a lot of emerging Aussie bands/singers around at the mo who are very popular here.
So basically, I don't think you'd have a problem emersing yourself in the music scene. It depends what you're into, and how determined you are to get to know the local bands, but I'm sure you'd find plenty to suit your tastes
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
I
There didn't seem to be much going on in Perth,
http://www.perthbands.com/index.php?...42df16da311501
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=rancid]ive found australia to be rubbish for gigs compared to the uk, but i guess it depends what your in to. [QUOTE]

You can't be trying very hard then

In a year I've been to the Big Day Out, seen Bloc Party (Metro),QTSA (Enmore Theatre), And a quit a few lesser known/local bands. I've got tickets for Presidents of the United States/Foo's/Hives all lined up for coming months.

The live music scene around the Newtown area is big and thriving. You've just gotta go out and look. Sydney imho is better because you get to see bands that would normally play a bigger venue in the UK (due to popularity), in much smaller places and get a better gig experience.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Stu.E][QUOTE=rancid]ive found australia to be rubbish for gigs compared to the uk, but i guess it depends what your in to.

You can't be trying very hard then

In a year I've been to the Big Day Out, seen Bloc Party (Metro),QTSA (Enmore Theatre), And a quit a few lesser known/local bands. I've got tickets for Presidents of the United States/Foo's/Hives all lined up for coming months.

The live music scene around the Newtown area is big and thriving. You've just gotta go out and look. Sydney imho is better because you get to see bands that would normally play a bigger venue in the UK (due to popularity), in much smaller places and get a better gig experience.
lol, its like i said, it depends what you are into. And if your on a very tight budget it certainly doesnt help. I guess I had it too good in the UK, great bands, and easy to afford (yet again, depending who you want to see).
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=rancid][QUOTE=Stu.E]
Originally Posted by rancid
ive found australia to be rubbish for gigs compared to the uk, but i guess it depends what your in to.

lol, its like i said, it depends what you are into. And if your on a very tight budget it certainly doesnt help. I guess I had it too good in the UK, great bands, and easy to afford (yet again, depending who you want to see).
Tickets are a bit pricey here which doesn't help. Looking at your username & sig, if you're into Punk/Hardcore/Thrash stuff then you're spoilt for choice. Loads of little gigs going off.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:23 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Phew thanks, I was beginning to think there was no music in Perth - seems there's an abundance

Evens it out a bit for me now