Music Festivals

Old Jul 1st 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

cooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Music Festivals

With festival season started in UK was just wondering if anyone knew are there any music festivals similar to ones such as Glastonbury, Virgin, Reading etc in Australia especially in Victoria?

Have had a search on the net but it looks like its just jazz or blues festivals.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:07 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Music Festivals

Originally posted by cooks
With festival season started in UK was just wondering if anyone knew are there any music festivals similar to ones such as Glastonbury, Virgin, Reading etc in Australia especially in Victoria?

Have had a search on the net but it looks like its just jazz or blues festivals.
There's the Big Day Out, which is in every big city I think.
Not sure how big it is, only one day I think.

Haven't heard of anything else, but with you being near/in Melbourne, I'm sure there'll be plenty of normal concerts....
Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

MARTINIUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been to the Big Day Out in Perth which is probably more comparable to going to the Reading Festival for a day (It's only a 1 day thing rather than a Glasto 3 or 4 day with camping) - pretty good line up with a lot of International acts - I saw Nick Cave, Prodigy, Rage Against the Machine, Rancid and Tism.

I'm afraid when International acts come to Australia they tend to keep to the Eastern States so Perth sometimes gets left out but you can see a lot of good WA bands in Perth. Keep an eye and ear on Triple J

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/

(best radio staion on the Planet after 0-Rock 105.9 in Florida) for gigs, tours and festivals. Currently touring are The Crystal Method (USA), Franz Ferdinand, Gomez and Jurassic 5. There are festivals at:

Splendour in the Grass NSW Sat, 24 Jul

PJ Harvey (UK) + Franz Ferdinand (Scotland) + MC5 (USA) + Spiderbait + Xavier Rudd + 1200 Techniques + Acre + Ozomatli + Electric Six (UK) + Dizzee Rascal (UK) + The Dissociatives + The Fiery Furnaces (UK) + The Tremors + Groove Daley + Sneaky Sound System + Katalyst + Bexta + Slinky
11am , Belongil Fields, Byron Bay, NSW, $67 (day ticket) - $112 (weekend)
Tickets sold out

Winter Break NSW Sat, 3 Jul
Valley Fiesta QLD Fri, 9 Jul

Big Day Out tends to be in January.

Last edited by MARTINIUS; Jul 1st 2004 at 11:24 am.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's the Woodford (Qld) folk festival in the week before New Year's day, its a bit like a hippy Glastonbury and runs for the whole week.

Phil.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

SuziTattoo is an unknown quantity at this point

[http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/

(best radio staion on the Planet after 0-Rock 105.9 in Florida) for gigs, tours and festivals. Currently touring are The Crystal Method (USA), Franz Ferdinand, Gomez and Jurassic 5.

I loved O-Rock when I lived in Orlando - I'm flying out to Perth on July 4th (3 days to go - ahhh!) but will probably head over to Brisbane to settle - any difference in music scenes between east and west coast? Thanks for the tip on radio station!!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

LauranJ is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by MARTINIUS
Have been to the Big Day Out in Perth which is probably more comparable to going to the Reading Festival for a day (It's only a 1 day thing rather than a Glasto 3 or 4 day with camping) - pretty good line up with a lot of International acts - I saw Nick Cave, Prodigy, Rage Against the Machine, Rancid and Tism.

I'm afraid when International acts come to Australia they tend to keep to the Eastern States so Perth sometimes gets left out but you can see a lot of good WA bands in Perth. Keep an eye and ear on Triple J

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/

(best radio staion on the Planet after 0-Rock 105.9 in Florida) for gigs, tours and festivals. Currently touring are The Crystal Method (USA), Franz Ferdinand, Gomez and Jurassic 5. There are festivals at:

Splendour in the Grass NSW Sat, 24 Jul

PJ Harvey (UK) + Franz Ferdinand (Scotland) + MC5 (USA) + Spiderbait + Xavier Rudd + 1200 Techniques + Acre + Ozomatli + Electric Six (UK) + Dizzee Rascal (UK) + The Dissociatives + The Fiery Furnaces (UK) + The Tremors + Groove Daley + Sneaky Sound System + Katalyst + Bexta + Slinky
11am , Belongil Fields, Byron Bay, NSW, $67 (day ticket) - $112 (weekend)
Tickets sold out

Winter Break NSW Sat, 3 Jul
Valley Fiesta QLD Fri, 9 Jul

Big Day Out tends to be in January.
Just wanted to say thanx for the triplej website link, spent 3 weeks over easter listening to it in Aus, never thought of listening over the internet - A slice of Aus in my front room makes it all more realistic.