Mushy peas!

Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Mushy peas!

No really, bear with me. Hubby loves mushy peas, don't know why, yuk. But I know the Aussies love their pies with gravy and tomato sauce. But do they have mushy peas?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mushy peas!

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
No really, bear with me. Hubby loves mushy peas, don't know why, yuk. But I know the Aussies love their pies with gravy and tomato sauce. But do they have mushy peas?
Get your hubby to try a pie floater when you get to Aus!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:40 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

No, eeeuch. My hubby likes them but me, no way.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

It's weird but I suddenly found myself loving mushy peas recently after hating them for years! Maybe it was just the thought of eating something that looks like it belongs in a handkerchief!

Sorry.....no idea if they have them in Aus...
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I just have to laugh even thinking of mushy peas....oh even the idea of my chips sitting in a dollop of the green stuff. Anyway...no I've not seen mushy peas over here...as yet.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Mushy peas abound up here!!!

You can buy them by the tin in 'Coles' supermarket and you can also get steak and pea pies, which I am reliably informed by ste, are 'ok'.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:35 pm
Cheeky

Hi Sue,

You know Im sure you will be able to make them..(!) And Im sure I have seen a recipe somewhere...
Ill take a look and see what I can come up with, prob wont taste the same but be worth a try!

Cheeky
x
PS It makes me think of my mums pea and ham soup/broth thing she used to make! Im flippin starving now talking about food!! Lol! Wheres me Nans jaffa cakes...... Ill munch on them!

Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Recipe for MUSHY PEAS

200g (7oz) green split or marrowfat peas
1 small onion or large shallot, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 celery stick
1 bay leaf
15g (1/2 oz) butter
salt and pepper

Put the peas, onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf and 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) water in a large saucepan. bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stiring occasionally, or until the peas are tender.
Remove the celery stalk and bay leaf from the mushy peas. Stir in the butter and mash lightly to give a textured mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Taken...ahem... from The Readers Digest 'Great British Recipes"
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:56 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

You can get them in Bilo supermarkets in Brisbane "Bachelors mushy peas" (imported from the UK) in the foreign food aisle for a couple of $. I can't remember the price, I think they were something like around $2

Can't say I have noticed if the normal tinned aisles in the supermarkets sell any Australian made ones.

I don't tend to buy tinned veggies and dislike mushy peas. Normally I wouldn't notice them except that I did notice the imported UK ones in the curry/foreign food aisle.

cheers
Old Dec 9th 2004, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Chip Shop Conversation

Does tha do peas...
... we downt do peez mate

Does tha do graavie
... downt do gwavie mate

Has tha gor eny curre sauce?
... downt do carry!!

Has that nowt moist???

Non-Peter Kay fans now think i am mad.

Peter Kay fans probably still think I am mad, but might at least recall some of his brilliant stand-up!!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:05 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Recipe for MUSHY PEAS

1 clove garlic, chopped
1 celery stick
1 bay leaf
15g (1/2 oz) butter
salt and pepper

Put the peas, onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf and 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) water in a large saucepan. bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stiring occasionally, or until the peas are tender.
Remove the celery stalk and bay leaf from the mushy peas. Stir in the butter and mash lightly to give a textured mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Ah - so that's what it is - pea and ham soup without the ham.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 5:43 am
Just Joined

pclrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Mushy peas!

Oh Thank you. We live in Victoria....just been to Cole's and bought 4 tins of mushy peas!! We have searched and searched but must have missed them hidden behind the huge selection of garden peas. We have also found decent sausages.... DONS-PORK & LEEK. Can't wait for...sausage, mash and mushy peas with onion gravey!!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 8:12 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

I remember being able to a get a pie'n'peas as a kid.. or a potato topped pie'n'peas with lashings to tomato sauce.... :scared: I do believe the peas were the mushy type... pies were bought at various bakeries up and down the east coast of Oz.. and also inland
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:40 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Recipe for MUSHY PEAS

1 clove garlic, chopped
1 celery stick
1 bay leaf
15g (1/2 oz) butter
salt and pepper

Thanks for that Leigh ... I think! :P

T'other 'alf's a mooshy pee connoisseur!