Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mums and dads have changed:

Wikiposts

mums and dads have changed:

Old Jul 21st 2003, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Family

I am getting fed up with mum reminding me of how far away it is, and how long the flight is! She hasn't had a positive comment to make, yet but says she understands that it is something we have to do.

Dad has made the odd comment on how long the flight is and he isn't sure he wants to spend that long on a plane, other than that he hasn't said anything else.

Sister wishes that it was her going, and tells us to go for it.

Husbands family being really supportive, his mother wanted to move to US when she was younger but her mother did the guilt trip on her and so she never went, hence she is all for us following our dream. His sister is also being really supportive.

As for the rest of the family, they say go for it!!

Mandy
Old Jul 21st 2003, 11:44 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Families

I am really sorry to read some of the sad stories, after all this is the adventure of a lifetime one which we are all excited about and we want to share it with our loved ones.

My dad and step mother live in Jamaica and we only see them once a year, they are really excited for us as they will come to Australia for their annual holiday instead of the UK.

My husbands mum and step dad are really excited for us and ask for regualar updates on what's happening everytime we see them. Mother in law has a sister there and today she told me she would talk to her sister and see if she would like to sponsor us.
We spent some time with mums sister and her family in Adelaide in 2001 and this year we have rented a four bed house in Rockingham over christmas and new year and they have accepted our invitation to stay with us for a week or so. Mum would love to immigrate with us if she could convince her husband who immigrated to Oz some years ago but returned to the UK.

My six brothers and sisters don't really think we'll go as we have been planning and researching for 3 1/2 years it won't hit them until we have our one way tickets in our hands, my husbands sister is really excited for us but when she has too much to drink she gets a little emotional and says jokingly that we can't go.

The big problem is my father in law, we cannot even mention it in front of him as he would break down in tears he has cried about it before but not in front of us as he does not want to spoil things for us. He is lovely i love him to bits and i know he absolutely adores his grandsons (7 years & 3 months) so i do feel guilty about it as i know he will be devasted when we go. He has never said a bad word to us about what we are doing and if anything we are closer than ever and he even offered to come to Oz with us and take care of our son when we got down to the last two families on A place in the Sun on two occasions. The only concellation where he is concerned is that he has been retired for 5 years, he is a very young and fit 60 and he is seriously cashed up so hopefully when he gets over the initial upset he will come for lots of long holidays.

We are very lucky really and i hope that when all your families see how happy their sons, daughters, grandchildren etc are they will come to terms with it and be happy for you.

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Jul 21st 2003, 11:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ace,
You know the loveliest thing about that post - the fact that your father-in-law is so good about it. Other parents seem to be using the grandchildren as part of the guilt trip, which is so unfair, especially on the kids. Its great to hear of someone being supportive and trying not to spoil things, even though he is hurting inside. I'm sure he'll be the first one coming over for a holidayand will thorougly enjoy himself, and he'll feel better cos he didn't try and stop you going.
Thanks for the encouraging words!
Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: mums and dads have changed:

Hi Alison

I think everyone on this forum will be experiencing similar feelings to you but everyones parents react differently. I was the last of 4 children to leave Uk and head to Oz, leaving my mum on her own with my wicked stepdad. She absolutley adores my 2 boys and that is the most difficult thing I think. Now we are here and doing okay for ourselves, she is very pleased and proud but I really miss her and vice versa. She will not entertain the idea of coming out here cos she thinks she's past it so it's going to be down to us to go back as often as we can before she pegs it.
(sounds callous but it's true). It's quite difficult to keep the phone calls long and chatty after you've been here for a while as you lose the "common factor" but you must persevere.
I get the kids to do pictures and drawings etc to send back and also have done videos of them to send. I've got lots of photos up of people back home (like a collage thing) so the kids can see
familiar faces everyday. (not that they bother to look half the time).
Keep your chin up and stay positive, your desicion is affecting lots of other people around you but they will be okay, as Jaqui said in her posting, the emails and phonecalls do start to get less and the novelty of you leaving will become a bit of normality to those left behind because they, like you will be getting on with everday things.

Best of luck and make the most of your time but look forward to your new adventure

Diane
Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:27 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Ace,
You know the loveliest thing about that post - the fact that your father-in-law is so good about it. Other parents seem to be using the grandchildren as part of the guilt trip, which is so unfair, especially on the kids. Its great to hear of someone being supportive and trying not to spoil things, even though he is hurting inside. I'm sure he'll be the first one coming over for a holidayand will thorougly enjoy himself, and he'll feel better cos he didn't try and stop you going.
Thanks for the encouraging words!
Thanks Pollyanna you're right he is being very good about it and we are hopefull that he will come round.

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Jul 21st 2003, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mums and dads have changed:

Originally posted by DianeOZ thankryone on this forum will be experiencing similar feelings to you but everyones parents react differently. I was the last of 4 children to leave Uk and head to Oz, leaving my mum on her own with my wicked stepdad. She absolutley adores my 2 boys and that is the most difficult thing I think. Now we are here and doing okay for ourselves, she is very pleased and proud but I really miss her and vice versa. She will not entertain the idea of coming out here cos she thinks she's past it so it's going to be down to us to go back as often as we can before she pegs it.
(sounds callous but it's true). It's quite difficult to keep the phone calls long and chatty after you've been here for a while as you lose the "common factor" but you must persevere.
I get the kids to do pictures and drawings etc to send back and also have done videos of them to send. I've got lots of photos up of people back home (like a collage thing) so the kids can see
familiar faces everyday. (not that they bother to look half the time).
Keep your chin up and stay positive, your desicion is affecting lots of other people around you but they will be okay, as Jaqui said in her posting, the emails and phonecalls do start to get less and the novelty of you leaving will become a bit of normality to those left behind because they, like you will be getting on with everday things.

Best of luck and make the most of your time but look forward to your new adventure

Diane
thanks diane for your encouraging support it does help to talk allison