Mumps vaccine

Old May 2nd 2006, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mumps vaccine

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Do it properly or don't do it at all. Where is the evidence for the single jabs? To my knowledge (as it stood 18 months ago), there have been no studies showing the efficacy of single jabs to replace MMR.

Who are you to tell me to "do it properly or not at all". As far as I'm concerned I'm doing it properly - she's my child and I'll chose.

Lemmings jump off cliffs "properly" every year.

PS - How does a doctor commit suicide - jumps from his ego to his IQ
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Children are at greater risk of acquiring the diseases while they are waiting for the whole kit and caboodle of however many individual jabs are required (is it 12 if you go for a single jab?) eek - thats a lot of shots.

Not very informed are you?

BTW as long as my child is immumised (whichever way I chose) it's absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:46 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Sorry - too busy to go thru all the points at the moment. Exams looming.

Basic problem with final point you make (not problem with you, but with science) is that it is very difficult, almost impossible to prove a negative. All that can be said is that "there is no evidence to indicate eg X causes Y". The other, second problem was that a semi-fruitloop came up with an off-the-wall-idea. Thats great - we need ideas like that. But the whole "paper" was flawed (I say "paper" because Wakefield only published the first few ideas and didnt intend for it to be a proper paper.) I reckon farting causes aids. after all, everyone who has aids farts.....the science in Wakefield's paper is literally that flawed.
Wasn't Wakefield saying 'in certain circumstances certain children might be vunerable to MMR' and that more research was needed. I don't think he said MMR defintely caused Autism.

Agreed 'it is very difficult, almost impossible to prove a negative'.

However because you have 'no evidence to indicate eg X causes Y' doesn't mean 'X doesn't cause Y'.
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Do it properly or don't do it at all. Where is the evidence for the single jabs? To my knowledge (as it stood 18 months ago), there have been no studies showing the efficacy of single jabs to replace MMR.
You seem to be unaware that the single jabs were around prior to the introduction of MMR. If not then, as MMR replaced the previous use of single jabs, are you saying that the single jabs did not work previously and need to be retested since the introduction of MMR

Doesn't this also cause a conundrum because the efficacy of MMR has been assumed (and not tested properly) based on the assumption that it must be okay because the single vaccines have been previously tested! (This type of assumption would be considered seriously bad practice in other industries like, computer programming, car manufacturing, civil engineering, etc...)
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Either answer the original question or say you don't know. It is too much of an emotive argument to start up. OP wasn't asking whether to give MMR or singly, she was asking if anyone knew where she could access the drug in question.

It is no one else's business whether she gives a multi shot or singular.

I had no issues with MMR, she obviously does, my right, her right. Don't start this one up again please. There'll be tears before bedtime
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

I agree - freedom to choose. As long as there is evidence upon which the patient/parent can make an INFORMED choice. I just ask, where is the evidence. I am studying to be a doctor. I am yet to come across any robust, scientific evidence to prove that it works as well as MMR and is licensed for such use. (Think that Japan tried it and stopped it, autism rates were no different, don't know about infection risk changes) Children are at greater risk of acquiring the diseases while they are waiting for the whole kit and caboodle of however many individual jabs are required (is it 12 if you go for a single jab?) eek - thats a lot of shots. Jabs are not 100% effective - usually 90-95%....speaking from personal measles experience.
As of a year ago the japanese were still using the single vaccines and were still seeing significant deaths from measles.
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:12 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
As of a year ago the japanese were still using the single vaccines and were still seeing significant deaths from measles.
Do you have a source for this please?
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Do you have a source for this please?
I can certainly look it out, its still in a packing box, I did a health visitor job back home so had all the info, haven't really kept up to date since we left.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
You seem to be unaware that the single jabs were around prior to the introduction of MMR. If not then, as MMR replaced the previous use of single jabs, are you saying that the single jabs did not work previously and need to be retested since the introduction of MMR

Doesn't this also cause a conundrum because the efficacy of MMR has been assumed (and not tested properly) based on the assumption that it must be okay because the single vaccines have been previously tested! (This type of assumption would be considered seriously bad practice in other industries like, computer programming, car manufacturing, civil engineering, etc...)
The MMR is one of the most well researched drugs in the world, we have seen an alomst irradigation of these diseases since its introduction, which the exception of Japan nearly every country in the world uses it.
There was no rise in Autism after its introduction, IMO the rise is due to better diagnostics and heightened awareness.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:58 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

I can certainly look it out, its still in a packing box, I did a health visitor job back home so had all the info, haven't really kept up to date since we left.
No rush, but I'd appreciate it if you get the chance. I've been going cross-eyed with the sheer volume of mortality statistics I've looked at today and I'm giving up looking before I go completely nuts. It's laziness on my part I'm afraid.

Thanks.

Sue
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
Children are at greater risk of acquiring the diseases while they are waiting for the whole kit and caboodle of however many individual jabs are required (is it 12 if you go for a single jab?) eek - thats a lot of shots.

Not very informed are you?

BTW as long as my child is immumised (whichever way I chose) it's absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.
I didnt realise that this had turned into a slanging match - I certainly had NO intention of this being the case. I understand that you want to have single vaccines. U are asking where to get these from. I am pointing out some of the reasons as to why this could be harder for you than first anticipated.

You may also wish to refer to my other replies to MMR/immunisation threads where I clarify that just because an Australian schools states that it is COMPULSARY for kids to have all of their vax up to date, this is not true. I endeavour to provide a balance to all information and help that I provide. You do what you wish to with your children.
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

However because you have 'no evidence to indicate eg X causes Y' doesn't mean 'X doesn't cause Y'.
Agreed. It just means that you can't say that it doesn't.....which is why the "government" (or whomever) cant make the statement that everyone wants them to.
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
I knew somebody would have to bring X into it........
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

Sorry for all the posts.....

I'm a pre MMR girl - no mumps jabs available for me at immunisation time. To my knowledge I never had a single jab for anything other than rubella, TB or tetanus. I was vaccinated for measles, got it when 21. That was a few years ago now...I had thought up until then that vaccinations provided nearly total immunity, but was advised that for measles it is only 90-95%.....which is still enough to ensure "herd immunity" which is what the govt wants.

Agree with your comments about testing of all together versus individual.....difficult one though. In the "good old days" suchs studies were done in orphanages and "mental asylums".

Should we take this to the BBQ? I fancy a snag.
Old May 4th 2006, 12:57 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The MMR is one of the most well researched drugs in the world, we have seen an alomst irradigation of these diseases since its introduction, which the exception of Japan nearly every country in the world uses it.
There was no rise in Autism after its introduction, IMO the rise is due to better diagnostics and heightened awareness.
I've not yet seen any results for a double blind placebo test for MMR.

I did not make any comment about the possible and unproved link to autism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.