Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mum wants to stay with us in oz.

mum wants to stay with us in oz.

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wants to stay with us in oz.

well my mums here and she loves it. she will be staying for 3 months and its sounds like she would like to stay for good. what can i do? as i would like her here too. she has her own 2 bedroom flat in southampton with no morgage on it and its worth about 90,000 pounds or a little more.
how are the ways she can stay, for long stays or for good, any help would be nice thanks guys. as she lives on her own and i am her only child, she has her mum and her sister left in england.
i know i can go to the gov site but thought i could get some straight answers from you lot first...... help Allan C. .........
by the way shes 60 yrs old next year. thanks lorraine xxxxxxx

Last edited by shaun/lor; Jun 22nd 2003 at 1:22 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 1:10 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mum wants to stay with us in oz.

Hello Lorraine.

As her finances aren't sufficient for a 410 Retirement Visa (based on her having no savings that is) there's not a lot she can do until you can sponsor her for a Parent visa.

And you can't sponsor her for a Parent visa until you are "settled" in Australia for a "reasonable period" - which is usually taken as meaning having lived in Australia for at least 2 years as a citizen or permanent resident.

Best regards - and hope all's well with you and Shaun.

Originally posted by shaun/lor
well my mums here and she loves it. she will be staying for 3 months and its sounds like she would like to stay for good. what can i do? as i would like her here too. she has her own 2 bedroom flat in southampton with no morgage on it and its worth about 90,000 pounds or a little more.
how are the ways she can stay, for long stays or for good, any help would be nice thanks guys. as she lives on her own and i am her only child, she has her mum and her sister left in england.
i know i can go to the gov site but thought i could get some straight answers from you lot first...... help Allan C. .........
by the way shes 60 yrs old next year. thanks lorraine xxxxxxx
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks allan for the advice, it will happen at sometime in the furture i expect hopefuly. we have been here 8 months already...time flys and all that.
mum came out as i have been in hospital having an opperation. i came out of st. vincents on saturday and i have 6 months of taking it easy, so i think all the "i want you here mum " came into it all then. so she came straight over to be with us all and had a shock how cold it was here in geelong and not 40 degs, ha ha.
shaun is hanging in there....long trips to melbourne hospital and back everyday. as he has a job too know and it was longgggggg days for him.
well thanks again allan and bye for know love lorraine xxxxx
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 1:52 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

That's a long drive for Shaun up to Melbourne each morning ... I recall that you're in Leopold or Newcomb - ie the other side of Geelong - and the Melbourne Hospital must be 15 to 20 minutes off the freeway once he's in Melbourne.

Anyway, hope your convalescence goes well Lorraine, and tell your Mum that this is about as cold as it gets (I reckon that for mid-winter the weather this morning is great).

Best wishes.

Originally posted by shaun/lor
thanks allan for the advice, it will happen at sometime in the furture i expect hopefuly. we have been here 8 months already...time flys and all that.
mum came out as i have been in hospital having an opperation. i came out of st. vincents on saturday and i have 6 months of taking it easy, so i think all the "i want you here mum " came into it all then. so she came straight over to be with us all and had a shock how cold it was here in geelong and not 40 degs, ha ha.
shaun is hanging in there....long trips to melbourne hospital and back everyday. as he has a job too know and it was longgggggg days for him.
well thanks again allan and bye for know love lorraine xxxxx
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point

My mum has sold in the uk and bought something smaller there, she has also bought a place here, if you are on a visitors visa you can buy a house as long as it is a new one and you get permition from the foriene investment board. she is now going to stay 6 months in each country which is great for everyone and she can do that on a visitor visa
good luck paula