Mum is homesick

Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice
Default Mum is homesick

Well I'm not sure if it is homesickness but she's fed up, possibly depressed. We've been here 2 months now and already she's applying for jobs back in the UK. Our stuff is being delivered on the 7th January and we're moving in to a new house next weekend. Mum starts a new job on the 14th January so maybe that will take her mind off it all.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I know other people have been homesick but were you looking for work in the UK? Does it get easier when your stuff gets here? Is it easier/homesickness ease off when you started working? What's the best thing to do in this situation?

Thanks
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mum is homesick

HI Laura, I dont know how old you are, but you seem a very caring sensible daughter. How lucky your mum is.
Once your mum starts work, I am 90% sure she will settle, she will meet new people, and wont have time to get fed up.
Starting a new job made me settle and feel part of Oz. And it will for your mum.
Just keep supporting her, and I am sure it will all work out .
Denise x
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by cranni
HI Laura, I dont know how old you are, but you seem a very caring sensible daughter. How lucky your mum is.
Once your mum starts work, I am 90% sure she will settle, she will meet new people, and wont have time to get fed up.
Starting a new job made me settle and feel part of Oz. And it will for your mum.
Just keep supporting her, and I am sure it will all work out .
Denise x

I agree!! What a good caring daughter you are! I think it's a little harder to settle when you're older but I remember when my stuff came from England it was like all my old friends had arrived and I felt a lot better. Am sure the job will help too; she'll meet new people and make new friends.

Christmas would have made it hard for her too - I think we all start thinking about christmas 'at home' and our friends and relations there.

She'll be fine!!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Two months in is a hard time for most people, plus Christmas on top would be enough to send some people into a state of depression, panic and homesickness.

You sound really lovely, and I'm sure with your support your Mum will get through this. Try to arrange a few fun days out for her, take her mind of it a little - it might help to lift her spirits a bit.

Have a look in the meetups section and see if there's any meets nearby, talking to others who have been through it does help. If there isn't one then why not arrange one yourself?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I talked to my mum and she thinks she'll better when she's working. I'm not sure how she's going to feel when the stuff turns up. Don't know how any of us will feel. I think it was Christmas that sent her over the edge, along with not working, hopefully she'll better soon.