Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

multi skilled builder

multi skilled builder

Old Sep 10th 2004, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

sue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the rough
Default multi skilled builder

Hi havn't posted for a while but read every day for facts and info (extremely addicted)

right where do i start without boring everyone to much

my better half is a fully qualified electrician and we are hoping to emigrate to perth in the near future we are going for a rekkie in march next year and then will be putting in our application.

what he wants to know is does he have to have licenses for each trade he does, as over here he does a lot of renovating and extensions which includes plastering plumbing tiling small amounts of brickwork all of these trades he is very good at.

does australia have jobs like this or is he purely only going to be able to be an electrician

sorry to waffle

sue and mick
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: multi skilled builder

Originally Posted by sue and mick
Hi havn't posted for a while but read every day for facts and info (extremely addicted)

my better half is a fully qualified electrician and we are hoping to emigrate to perth in the near future we are going for a rekkie in march next year and then will be putting in our application.

what he wants to know is does he have to have licenses for each trade he does, as over here he does a lot of renovating and extensions which includes plastering plumbing tiling small amounts of brickwork all of these trades he is very good at.

does australia have jobs like this or is he purely only going to be able to be an electrician

sorry to waffle

sue and mick
I had english friends who were electricians in Sydney a few years ago. They certainly had to get a license to work in Oz, but I'm not sure re other trades. I'd be interested myself as my husband is a carpenter & also does renovations,including the same stuff as Mick. Anyone know of any websites that can provide this info?
Old Sep 10th 2004, 2:22 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue and mick

sorry to waffle

sue and mick
To qualify for a licence in any trade you must prove you are, first, qualified in that trade and second, have a minimum of 2/4 years recent full time experience in that trade. Whilst it's not impossible to hold 2 closely related licences e.g. wall and floor tiler and waterproofer, it is extremely difficult to have the 2/4 years minimum experience in both bricklaying and say carpentry therefore you would fail the criteria for one or if they wanted to be really nasty both.
To pass the TRA I think it's 6 yrs experience but they allow apprenticeships to count in that total.
Kind of cuts down on the jack of all trades.
Here's a list of the trades from the BSA website
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/scripts/li...gen.exe?page=4
Old Dec 5th 2004, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

Hi Sue

My other half is also a multi skilled builder in the uk, he does loft conversions, extensions, refurbs, bathrooms etc and is very good at it, but our friend in Sydney has told us that if he wants to be self employed doing all kinds of building work, he would need a certificate for all the different trades which would take years I should think..

We have our visas and will be going out next year, so once we know what is involved in getting these licences, we'll let you know. We did meet an expat electrician when were on our validation trip a few weeks ago and he was in the process of getting his licence, he did say it was a bit of a nightmare and he had been in the process for 2 years. He said some of the older expats who had done electrics for 30 odd years had decided to take an apprenticeship again as it was easier than going through the licence process!! a bit worrying, but I suppose it cuts out the cowboys of which there are many in the UK.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Cheers

Poppy