Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Multi Region DVD player?

Multi Region DVD player?

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:30 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Multi Region DVD player?

Does anybody have any ideas as to how much I should expect to pay for a low end multi region dvd player when I get to Oz?

I'm trying to decide if it's cost effective to ship my current player, or buy one when I arrive. They are as cheap as chips (~£30) over here now, but you have to know where to get them from, as some high street places refuse to sell them. Are there similar problems in Oz? I've checked on the net, but they rarely specify if they are multi or fixed region.

The other alternative would be to get my Xbox chipped and use that as a player/console/cd player, but that's looking to be more than buying a new stand alone dvd player.

Any thoughts or advice?

S
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:33 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multi Region DVD player?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Does anybody have any ideas as to how much I should expect to pay for a low end multi region dvd player when I get to Oz?

I'm trying to decide if it's cost effective to ship my current player, or buy one when I arrive. They are as cheap as chips (~£30) over here now, but you have to know where to get them from, as some high street places refuse to sell them. Are there similar problems in Oz? I've checked on the net, but they rarely specify if they are multi or fixed region.

The other alternative would be to get my Xbox chipped and use that as a player/console/cd player, but that's looking to be more than buying a new stand alone dvd player.

Any thoughts or advice?

S
A good number of players can be hacked anyway. See http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks. I've shipped 2 players:- A decent one that has been hacked already and an el cheapo that can't be hacked permanently but will play most other region discs by pressing some buttons as it plays
Old Jul 17th 2005, 6:15 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We are close to china/Asia(!).... 39$ is the cheapest Ive seen one for here - thats about 16 of your english pounds.

If you are containering then bring everything you will find use for it.

One other thing - is that many,many more of the DVD players here -even cheapos come with component output, and RGB out as a standard option. Scart is few & far between (being a european standard).

Last edited by spalen; Jul 17th 2005 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:24 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

My m8 in oz had a DVD player hacked we rented some DVD from blockbuster in oz, 4 films all together and 2 out of the 4 came up will not play in you region.We had a new Sony DVD player we had software put on it before we left the UK at a cost of 40 pounds and have had no problems at all with it.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:26 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

DVD players here are very affordable....more so than decent video players. We bought one recently that will play practically anything and it cost us $99. We bought our UK one over which cost us more but is very fussy over picture discs etc.

My advice....if you're shipping everything over then you may as well box it up to. Otherwise....buy one here.