Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Much needed advice

Much needed advice

Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

cheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud of
Default Much needed advice

Hi all,

First time here for me and was hoping to find some advice.
My partner who is Australian, is here on a student visa, which runs out in Aug 05, and we are looking for ways for him to stay here. He is a mature student so does not qualify for any of the working holiday visa's.
We have been living together but and there is always a" but" as I am on a low wage and recieve Tax Credits that makes problems for the phrase "using public funds".
So my question is
Any ideas on what he could apply to stay here on while also having permission to work?
We are fully commited to each other and although he has a year left it is very upsetting to think we may be parted due to visa's. If we at least had some hope then it would put my mind at ease.
Our other option would be for me to return to Australia with him, only that raises its own problems and we would like to try and find a way for him to stay here first.

Hope you guys can help us

:D
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:24 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Much needed advice

Originally Posted by cheechee
Hi all,

First time here for me and was hoping to find some advice.
My partner who is Australian, is here on a student visa, which runs out in Aug 05, and we are looking for ways for him to stay here. He is a mature student so does not qualify for any of the working holiday visa's.
We have been living together but and there is always a" but" as I am on a low wage and recieve Tax Credits that makes problems for the phrase "using public funds".
So my question is
Any ideas on what he could apply to stay here on while also having permission to work?
We are fully commited to each other and although he has a year left it is very upsetting to think we may be parted due to visa's. If we at least had some hope then it would put my mind at ease.
Our other option would be for me to return to Australia with him, only that raises its own problems and we would like to try and find a way for him to stay here first.

You're probably going to get moved- you shouldn't be asking questions like that in here.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't an easy cheap option, win the lottery, plan to get married...
but even getting married isn't an easy option.
If he finds a job that would be willing to sponsor him and he has his degree by then, can apply for H1B visa, but there filling right up the quota this year, and it isn't easy to get.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There isn't an easy cheap option, win the lottery, plan to get married...
but even getting married isn't an easy option.
If he finds a job that would be willing to sponsor him and he has his degree by then, can apply for H1B visa, but there filling right up the quota this year, and it isn't easy to get.
Are they talking about the USA or the UK ..tax credits sounds like England
Old Aug 27th 2004, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

cheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
You're probably going to get moved- you shouldn't be asking questions like that in here.
Oppss sorry if i have said something wrong didnt mean too, I am new here and was just looking for some advice.

I am in the UK and we are looking for the right way to go about things

Once again sorry if I have said the wrong thing
Old Aug 27th 2004, 6:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Oppss sorry if i have said something wrong didnt mean too, I am new here and was just looking for some advice.

I am in the UK and we are looking for the right way to go about things

Once again sorry if I have said the wrong thing
not really, but I am moving it to the Australian Forum where more people can prolyl help you out.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 9:09 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

If you have been living together for at least 2 years, then he could apply for an Unmarried Partners visa. It's "relatively" easy to get (in fact, it's the visa I'm in the UK on) - see http://ind.homeoffice.gov.uk as a starting point. As a UK citizen (I assume, anyways) you are allowed to be on public funds, however I don't know what impact it would have on your application. The Rules stipulate that in order to get the visa "the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds". There may be options to get around this, which an Immigration Advisor could help you with. Jeremy (JAJ) may be able to tell you more...