Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mt Gravatt and Garden City

Mt Gravatt and Garden City

Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Mt Gravatt and Garden City

I was roaming around these two suburbs today and found the homes (well at least the ones I could see from the road) looked very livable. The streets were clean and there was plenty of the green stuff around. School children were in uniform (as opposed to wearing just parts of their uniform) and not too brash and loud. Nearby is the Westfield Shopping Centre which has my favourite department David Jones and my sons favourite store Toys R Us.

Are there are bad points about these two suburbs that I should be aware of?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:20 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mt Gravatt and Garden City

Originally Posted by discobay
I was roaming around these two suburbs today and found the homes (well at least the ones I could see from the road) looked very livable. The streets were clean and there was plenty of the green stuff around. School children were in uniform (as opposed to wearing just parts of their uniform) and not too brash and loud. Nearby is the Westfield Shopping Centre which has my favourite department David Jones and my sons favourite store Toys R Us.

Are there are bad points about these two suburbs that I should be aware of?
My opinion, is as long as you live far enough away from the busy roads, they are fine! Not too far from the City or to Redland if you need the coast but otherwise you have everything to hand and the Westfield center there is one of the finest. The Gold Class cinema is ace!

Don't think it is an area heavily populated by migrants though (good or bad - your choice!).

Andrew
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Discobay,

I live in Mount Gravatt East, right at the very top of the suburb, close to Holland Park and Camp Hill. I'm probably about 5 mins drive from both the Westfields at Carindale and Garden City.

I think its a great area and wasn't one I considered when I first moved to Brisbane...I was looking closer to the city initially but the dollars went so much further where I am now. The commute to the CBD either by bus or car is very easy....i drive and it normally takes me about 20 minutes to get to work on the other side of the CBD in Milton.

Maybe the one thing these areas lack is a decent restaurant precint like you find in the suburbs closer to the city, places like Oxford St, Bulimba - that's not to say there aren't decent places to eat though.

As Andrew basically said there isn't a huge concentration of poms in these suburbs, basically this isn't legoland (which I've got nothing against btw) but established Aussie suburbia - I think its great!

B
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Thanks for your points of view. Like you I was not initially drawn to those areas and tended to suburbs west of the city like Kenmore and Chapel Hill. AUD500/week gets you a house out there but they don't come up to scratch for me (and please I'm not being snobbish). I guess it's the property price boom that has had a knock on effect on the rental prices. I'm not looking for that idylic Australian home with pool and acres to run around on - rather a clean, safe home with space for my family. A pool would be nice but a spacious garden (yard?) would be nicer. Some of the older properties I've looked at need to be flattened and designed properly.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I took a look at some units and houses in Bulimba recently and though quaint I was a little disappointed with what this little suburb had to offer. I won't give up though and will be going back this week for more inspections. At the same time I will be looking at Mt Gravatt East and Wishart unless someone has serious reservations.