Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:18 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

Originally Posted by Dicko
Don't you love MIL's when mine was over she commented on the pavements around Main Beach not being as nice as those in Benidorm

I kid you not

Classic!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:22 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Classic!
She's right though, Benidorm does have nice pavements.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:00 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Morning all!

my first night back at work was ok so I'll just add a bit more to the story before I go off to bed.

Right are we up to Day 18 now?

I thought we were having another nice lazy day today. I got up and jons mum had already taken the kids to the pool, so off I went to join them. My youngest has started to get really confident in the water, we got him a kick board and he is well away on it! Jon got up about an hour after me and came down to the pool. We decided that we (jon and me) would have another drive back up to the Sunshine Coast while jons mum stayed with the kids. This would be our first day out on our own....what joy!

We took the tourist drive route through the Glasshouse Mountains, which were really amazing! I do love scenery! We went past Australia Zoo (again) and into Landsborough. There didn't appear to be too much going on there so we headed up the mountains to Maleny. I'm not sure why but I felt quite uncomfortable here. Its very nice oldy worldy kind of place, but I just didn't feel right there. Strange...I know! Anyway we stopped long enough to have a coffee and sandwhich in one of the little shops along there. This little town in the Mountains was the first place that I'd seen a shop selling buckets and spades and beach mats! Very odd!

From here Jon decided that he wanted to see Lake Baroon. So off we went. Now to me, driving through the Blackall Range is very spectacular. We could almost have been in the lake district. We drove down a desserted road to lake Baroon...Jon almost run over a big lizard in the road!. When we got to the lakeside there was not a soul about. It was quite eerie. Jon said a bit too 'Wolf Creek' for his liking, but I thought it was lovely. I could picture us all coming here for picnics at the weekends.

From here we decided to head over the other side of the mountain to Montville. We had heard many good things about the place and how lovely it was. We were not disappointed! It is so quaint and gorgeous, full of craft shops and cafe's. I could see myself living on this mountain and re-inventing myself as a free love hippy! There was something very spiritual about the place and I felt very 'at home'. Jon said it was too touristy to live there, but we both really liked it. We went to the liquor store and got us 2 stubbies and sat out in the sunshine drinking them...bliss! We had a look round some of the shops and bought some gifts for our families back home. I could have spent an awful lot of money in those shops. Ladies if you like sophisticated costume hand made jewelry then you will be spoilt for choice here.

From here we drove along the range to Flaxton which is more residential, the views were stunning as we were driving along and then along to Mapleton. I have to say that I fell in love with these places and their views.

We continued down the mountain road and after about 10 minutes came to Nambour which conveniently had a hospital at the bottom of the road which I thought was very convenient if we were to live on the mountains I could try and get a job there.

After driving around Nambour for about 20 minutes looking about we headed over to Maroochydore. This to me seemed simelar to Nambour (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) but nearer to the coast.

Feeling quite hungry we decided to go to Mooloolaba again and have something to eat. We stopped to check out the beaches at Alexandra Headland on the way too.

As this was our first day out on our own we decided to have a nice romantic meal together... ahhh! We ate at a restaraunt on the front called 'coast'. I thought the food there was excellent as was the service. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I had the chicken supreme and Jon had a steak and said it was the best!

We drove home after that only to find out from jons mum that Brissy had a massive hail and lightening storm and it had also been snowing in Victoria! Freaky weather. Do you remember that day?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:21 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

great thread Jackie especially when you've been to some of the places you mentioned, its bringing back lovely memories
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for mentioning Maleny Jackie....don't think I want to go there now ...but we'll definately try Montville and Lake Baroon. I think you are right, Nambour and Maroochydore are very much the same...are you going to Noosa? ...oops, I mean did you go to Noosa?

Last edited by Vin 'n Bin; Nov 30th 2006 at 10:56 am. Reason: missed something out.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Could someone please tell me how to leave out the 'reason for editing'
Old Nov 30th 2006, 11:40 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Could someone please tell me how to leave out the 'reason for editing'

Don't fill it in

Great thread bringing back great memories

Kaye
Old Nov 30th 2006, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Morning all!

my first night back at work was ok so I'll just add a bit more to the story before I go off to bed.

Right are we up to Day 18 now?

I thought we were having another nice lazy day today. I got up and jons mum had already taken the kids to the pool, so off I went to join them. My youngest has started to get really confident in the water, we got him a kick board and he is well away on it! Jon got up about an hour after me and came down to the pool. We decided that we (jon and me) would have another drive back up to the Sunshine Coast while jons mum stayed with the kids. This would be our first day out on our own....what joy!

We took the tourist drive route through the Glasshouse Mountains, which were really amazing! I do love scenery! We went past Australia Zoo (again) and into Landsborough. There didn't appear to be too much going on there so we headed up the mountains to Maleny. I'm not sure why but I felt quite uncomfortable here. Its very nice oldy worldy kind of place, but I just didn't feel right there. Strange...I know! Anyway we stopped long enough to have a coffee and sandwhich in one of the little shops along there. This little town in the Mountains was the first place that I'd seen a shop selling buckets and spades and beach mats! Very odd!

From here Jon decided that he wanted to see Lake Baroon. So off we went. Now to me, driving through the Blackall Range is very spectacular. We could almost have been in the lake district. We drove down a desserted road to lake Baroon...Jon almost run over a big lizard in the road!. When we got to the lakeside there was not a soul about. It was quite eerie. Jon said a bit too 'Wolf Creek' for his liking, but I thought it was lovely. I could picture us all coming here for picnics at the weekends.

From here we decided to head over the other side of the mountain to Montville. We had heard many good things about the place and how lovely it was. We were not disappointed! It is so quaint and gorgeous, full of craft shops and cafe's. I could see myself living on this mountain and re-inventing myself as a free love hippy! There was something very spiritual about the place and I felt very 'at home'. Jon said it was too touristy to live there, but we both really liked it. We went to the liquor store and got us 2 stubbies and sat out in the sunshine drinking them...bliss! We had a look round some of the shops and bought some gifts for our families back home. I could have spent an awful lot of money in those shops. Ladies if you like sophisticated costume hand made jewelry then you will be spoilt for choice here.

From here we drove along the range to Flaxton which is more residential, the views were stunning as we were driving along and then along to Mapleton. I have to say that I fell in love with these places and their views.

We continued down the mountain road and after about 10 minutes came to Nambour which conveniently had a hospital at the bottom of the road which I thought was very convenient if we were to live on the mountains I could try and get a job there.

After driving around Nambour for about 20 minutes looking about we headed over to Maroochydore. This to me seemed simelar to Nambour (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) but nearer to the coast.

Feeling quite hungry we decided to go to Mooloolaba again and have something to eat. We stopped to check out the beaches at Alexandra Headland on the way too.

As this was our first day out on our own we decided to have a nice romantic meal together... ahhh! We ate at a restaraunt on the front called 'coast'. I thought the food there was excellent as was the service. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I had the chicken supreme and Jon had a steak and said it was the best!

We drove home after that only to find out from jons mum that Brissy had a massive hail and lightening storm and it had also been snowing in Victoria! Freaky weather. Do you remember that day?
Jackie, Your thread is brilliant. We havent been over yet and are planning on emigrating for good when we fly in June! We are hoping to settle around the sunshine coast, so all of the places you've mentioned we are interested in hearing about.
How can you write so much after a night shift? After my night shifts I just collapse into bed!!!!!!!!!
When are you planning on going for good?
All the Best, Jackie
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:50 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Jackie, Your thread is brilliant. We havent been over yet and are planning on emigrating for good when we fly in June! We are hoping to settle around the sunshine coast, so all of the places you've mentioned we are interested in hearing about.
How can you write so much after a night shift? After my night shifts I just collapse into bed!!!!!!!!!
When are you planning on going for good?
All the Best, Jackie

Hi Jackie,
glad you like the thread. I don't think you will be disappointed with the sunshine coast there are lots of lovely places there...too much choice really. I'm hoping we will not be too far behind you....hoping to go for good about August time. I'm back in Aus time doing nights thats how I managed to write after my night shift lol.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:53 pm
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Thanks for mentioning Maleny Jackie....don't think I want to go there now ...but we'll definately try Montville and Lake Baroon. I think you are right, Nambour and Maroochydore are very much the same...are you going to Noosa? ...oops, I mean did you go to Noosa?

ah ha!.....you will have to tune in to find out....

please don't leave out Maleny because of my opinion...you may really like it and lots of people do.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:17 pm
Living the Dream!

ok... a bit more before I head off to work again...

Day 19

Off back down to the Gold Coast to take the kids to Movie World! Queues not too bad here so we go in straight away. Scooby Doo and the gang were there in full costume. For some reason Oliver was a bit shy and wouldn't have his picture taken with them!

First ride of the day - the scooby doo ride. Now I mistakenly thought this ride was for little kids. Oliver couldn't go on it due to the height restrictions so me Jon and Jasmine queued up for about 40 minutes to go on it. OMG! this ride is not for the faint hearted! Jasmine has been on the 'big one' at blackpool and was freaked out by this ride! I wasn't too bad as most of the ride was in the dark. I don't like heights so dark is good for me! To be honest if I had known what it was like I wouldn't have gone on it....i'm such a chicken! Anyway if you like that kind of thing you will love the scooby doo ride, but beware if you are taking smaller children on it.

After wandering around for a while looking at all the characters we went in to watch the Shrek movie in 4D. This was really good and our first experience of 4D cinema. Don't miss it!

We wandered around looking for somewhere to have lunch, but most of the places there were fast food. However, there was a place there that did a family all you can eat buffet. It was $20 per adult and $1 per year age of the child. It seemed good value so in we went. Well we were really impressed, there was a good selection of food, nicely cooked, a salad bar with lovely fresh salads, and some yummy desserts! One lady didn't really get the idea as she had chocolate mousse on the same plate as her potato salad??? Anyway would recommend this place to eat if you don't fancy burgers etc...

We then took Oliver to the Looney Tunes village so he could go on some rides. He had a great time, this area is really good for younger family members. We did the Bugs bunny river cruise which the kids enjoyed and then we headed over the log flume...again this is not for the faint hearted...the drop is really really steep and believe me you get drenched! Excellent fun though! After a bit more shopping we decided to make for home as the park was closing.

On the way home we took a drive up to Mount Cotton to have a look around and see if the sirromet winery was still open to taste and buy some wine. It took us a while to find the place. On route we ended up somewhere in Springwood near some parkland. It was lovely, all the kangaroos were out, this was our first sighting of kangaroos in the wild....it was amazing!

We were soon on track to the winery but unfortunately it was closed. Again the road up to the winery was full of wild kangaroos. I would have liked to gone wine tasting during our time there, but there was so much to do and not enough time in 4 weeks to do it all, so we never got to go back. But I think it would be well worth a visit.

The sunset was gorgeous that evening and all the trees were a gorgeous shade of red...it was truly spectacular!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
ok... a bit more before I head off to work again...

Day 19

Off back down to the Gold Coast to take the kids to Movie World! Queues not too bad here so we go in straight away. Scooby Doo and the gang were there in full costume. For some reason Oliver was a bit shy and wouldn't have his picture taken with them!

First ride of the day - the scooby doo ride. Now I mistakenly thought this ride was for little kids. Oliver couldn't go on it due to the height restrictions so me Jon and Jasmine queued up for about 40 minutes to go on it. OMG! this ride is not for the faint hearted! Jasmine has been on the 'big one' at blackpool and was freaked out by this ride! I wasn't too bad as most of the ride was in the dark. I don't like heights so dark is good for me! To be honest if I had known what it was like I wouldn't have gone on it....i'm such a chicken! Anyway if you like that kind of thing you will love the scooby doo ride, but beware if you are taking smaller children on it.

After wandering around for a while looking at all the characters we went in to watch the Shrek movie in 4D. This was really good and our first experience of 4D cinema. Don't miss it!

We wandered around looking for somewhere to have lunch, but most of the places there were fast food. However, there was a place there that did a family all you can eat buffet. It was $20 per adult and $1 per year age of the child. It seemed good value so in we went. Well we were really impressed, there was a good selection of food, nicely cooked, a salad bar with lovely fresh salads, and some yummy desserts! One lady didn't really get the idea as she had chocolate mousse on the same plate as her potato salad??? Anyway would recommend this place to eat if you don't fancy burgers etc...

We then took Oliver to the Looney Tunes village so he could go on some rides. He had a great time, this area is really good for younger family members. We did the Bugs bunny river cruise which the kids enjoyed and then we headed over the log flume...again this is not for the faint hearted...the drop is really really steep and believe me you get drenched! Excellent fun though! After a bit more shopping we decided to make for home as the park was closing.

On the way home we took a drive up to Mount Cotton to have a look around and see if the sirromet winery was still open to taste and buy some wine. It took us a while to find the place. On route we ended up somewhere in Springwood near some parkland. It was lovely, all the kangaroos were out, this was our first sighting of kangaroos in the wild....it was amazing!

We were soon on track to the winery but unfortunately it was closed. Again the road up to the winery was full of wild kangaroos. I would have liked to gone wine tasting during our time there, but there was so much to do and not enough time in 4 weeks to do it all, so we never got to go back. But I think it would be well worth a visit.

The sunset was gorgeous that evening and all the trees were a gorgeous shade of red...it was truly spectacular!

Look forward to day 20 LOL
Mandy
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

I'm hooked ! Just spent an hour reading 7 pages & loved it all. I presume you did loads of research before you came on the places you wanted to see ? You've packed so much in, we've been here since Feb & hardly been anywhere yet
Cant wait to read more
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:06 am
Living the Dream!

Hi Woogle, yes i have researched endlessly!

Just for you Mandy.......

Day 20

A nice chill out day today relaxing around the pool. I was hoping to lose a bit of weight as I seemed to have piled on the pounds for some reason this year. I blame the family packs of doritos!

I had a nice relaxing time in the afternoon as Jon took his mum and the kids shopping (yes she was still hoping to find the Daily Mail ) and then i started to get ready to go out as Jon and I were having another night out on our own in Brisbane! yee ha!

Again we hopped on the bus to the south bank and had a few drinks in the various bars. It wasn't long before I began to feel a bit pissed as I hadn't had anything to eat. As the evening was a bit chilly I went to the market and bought myself a nice silk wrap to keep me warm. We then headed over to Riverside via the city cat ferry and came across a pub that looked quite lively so we went in for yet another drink. After sitting in the pub for about 10 minutes we noticed about a million St George Flags everywhere and realised we were sitting in an 'british' pub - The Pig and Whistle. I thought I'd seen those flags before but I couldn't remember where

By now I was starving so off we went to find somewhere to eat. We were spoilt for choice along Riverside all the restaurants looked lovely but we decided to give Michaels a go. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a table but it was worth waiting for as the view we had was spectacular. We could see all along the river and had a wonderful view of the Storey Bridge all lit up.

The food was to die for....Jon and I both had duck parfait to start. I had lamb medallions and jon had quail for the main course and we both had the creme brulee for dessert. By this time I had so much to eat and had drank so much wine I was beginning to feel a bit sick. I don't usually eat 3 courses when I go out, but the food was so good I got a bit greedy! The service at the restaurant was excellent and again I would highly recommend it! The meal including wine came to $180 which I thought was a bargain.

We left the restaurant and hopped on the city cat back to the south bank to get the bus home. I was hoping that I would not be sick on the way home and luckily I wasn't!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:21 am
Living the Dream!

Day 21

This really was a lazy day but I needed to do a few lengths in the pool to get rid of the additional calories I'd acrued from the meal the night before.....oh but then I put them all back on again with a chinese takeaway for tea...watching Australian Idol!

Day 22

So back in the pool again this morning before getting ready to go out for Sunday lunch at the Glen Hotel. How disappointed was Jons mum when she realised there was no roast dinner on the menu!

We stayed for a few hours sitting in the sunshine having a beer and listening to the live music. I really could get used to this on a sunday afternoon.

When we got back it was straight in the pool again. That evening we had to pack as we were going to stay at the sunshine coast for a couple of nights and were leaving first thing in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.