British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   MRS JFW's Australian Adventure! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mrs-jfws-australian-adventure-410579/)

Mrs JFW Nov 28th 2006 9:59 pm

Re: MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

ok everyone, will continue the saga tomorrow. Feeling a bit sleepy now. :zzz: thanks for reading.

jackie x

geordie mandy Nov 28th 2006 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
ok everyone, will continue the saga tomorrow. Feeling a bit sleepy now. :zzz: thanks for reading.

jackie x

Im exhausted from reading it, no wonder you were so tired and in bed early.
So glad you enjoyed it
Mandy

Mrs JFW Nov 28th 2006 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Im exhausted from reading it, no wonder you were so tired and in bed early.
So glad you enjoyed it
Mandy

thanks mandy. did you do one of your recckie?

geordie mandy Nov 28th 2006 10:18 pm

thanks mandy. did you do one of your recckie?

I did indeed . called 2 weeks in NSW and VIC
Ive just started adding pics to it and to the photo board.

Mandy

Mrs JFW Nov 28th 2006 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
I did indeed . called 2 weeks in NSW and VIC
Ive just started adding pics to it and to the photo board.

Mandy

I will have a read then hun. thanks for that.

Alana and Arrons mum Nov 28th 2006 10:35 pm

Jons mum sounds a delight! :scared: She may become quite famous -hope she isnt internet savvy!
Well done with the diplomacy! :beer: :beer: -sure these were needed!
This is a great account of your reccy.Need sleep now :zzz: So will have to Tune in for more exciting episodes later.
Glad to have you back :D
Andrea

teejay66 Nov 28th 2006 11:23 pm

Fantastic post!! :D
Will defo tune in for the next episode ;)

Phil :zzz:

sme Nov 29th 2006 12:07 am

A most excellent adventure !

I'm guessing theres some friction between you and the MIL;)

breezeboylan Nov 29th 2006 1:04 am

Brilliant post Jackie really enjoying it. Know what you mean about the Jet lag.We've been here 3 weeks know and I'm still in bed every night at 9.30, or maybe I'm just a lazy cow :D
Tracie

Mrs JFW Nov 29th 2006 6:38 am

I've been awake since 4am so have the kids. Its 7.30 am and they are all ready for school :eek: thought i'd add a bit more to pass some time.....

Day 12

Thought we would have a day driving round some of the suburbs in Bris. It was quite a nightmare as its boring for the kids. I had to navigate while jon was driving so needless to say we got a bit lost at times.

Our original plan for the trip to Oz was that when jon and I would go looking round suburbs and doing 'boring' stuff, jons mum would stay behind and look after the kids. Unfortunately this didn't happen so they came everywhere with us! This made things difficult because the kids were moaning about being couped up in the car when they wanted to be at the swimming pool. Anyway after driving around nudgee beach and some other suburbs in the area we decided to head off up to the sunshine coast and take a look around.

We first stopped at Caloundra which I quite liked the look of. The beaches were really nice but we didn't stop long on the beaches as it was really windy and all the sand was blowing everywhere. We found a Bistro for some lunch and then we drove on to Mooloolaba. Jons mum liked it here she felt it was a bit like Tenerife! :rolleyes: The kids were let loose to play on the rocks on the beach as they had been driving us mad.

After about an hour we drove on up to Buderim. It has lovely views from there and Jon and I both really liked the area. We stopped for a coffee before heading back to Gateway.

Mrs JFW Nov 29th 2006 6:47 am

Day 13

Decided to have a quiet day around the pool today and the weather was improving again. One of the aussie guys in the cabin opposite showed the kids a dead snake I think it was a carpet python...not too sure as I didn't take a look myself...didn't want to have nightmares!

In the evening we all went into Brisbane and had a walk round the craft markets that are there at the weekends. It was a really busy evening with a good vibe. We went to have a meal at MODO ( I think thats what it was called) the Turkish restaraunt. This was our first experience of BYO. As we didn't know that we needed to bring our own wine - Jon had to run down to the liquor store to get a couple of bottles for us! Thre restaurant was lovely, with authentic Turkish decor. The food was excellent but unfortuantely the service was a bit too slow but that was because it was mega busy I think. My main course arrived 15 minutes after everyone elses.

After the meal we just had a walk along the river. It was lovely to see the city all lit up at night and so many people out and about having a good time.
We headed back about 9.30pm as the kids were getting tired.

moneypenny20 Nov 29th 2006 6:57 am

I'm sure your MIL is lovely but she didn't appear to provide the service you required of her - I'd sack her if I were you :D

Mrs JFW Nov 29th 2006 7:04 am

Day 14

A nice hot day today. Decided to take the kids back to the southbank so they could go swimming in the lagoon. It was really busy with a lovey atmosphere of everyone having a good time.

Oliver has been doing really well practising his swimming and Jasmine had a great time and made a couple of friends in the lagoon. After a couple of hours we went off for some lunch and had a wander around. There was a modern art exhibition on in the ampitheatre so we went in for a look. I was very nervous with the kids being there worried they might accidentally break something so I ushered them out quite quickly.

From there we did the rainforest walk down to the Nepalese Temple. From here we got on the city cat for a bit of a tour up the river. It cost $15.50 return for the 5 of us and you can hop on and off whenever you want. We loved the look of Riverside with all its fancy restaraunts. Jon and I decided that this would be a good place to go back to sometime.

We got off the city cat at New Park Farm and had a walk through the park. it was packed with friends and families pic nicking and having a really chilled time. This is just the lifestyle that Jon and I want for our family. I was yet to find something I didn't like. The weird thing was that there was a wedding going on the park so while we were all trundling along in our shorts and t shirts, there were wedding guests all dressed up and families having bbqs along side each other. It was really lovely in a strange kind of way.

We stopped for a glass of wine at a bar and just chilled for an hour. There was a second wedding taking place here and again all the bride and groom and guests were mingled in with us all sat outside the wine bar!

We took the city cat back to south bank and by the time we were back the city was all lit up again - very spectacular.

As we were approaching the Gateway Village, I noticed something walking along the side of the road which I thought was a dog. As we got closer I noticed it was a koala bear with its baby on its back. We quickly turned the car around to try and get a better look but by the time we did this it had climbed up the tree. Well we all were really pleased to have gotten a glimpse of a koala in the wild....amazing!

Mrs JFW Nov 29th 2006 7:07 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm sure your MIL is lovely but she didn't appear to provide the service you required of her - I'd sack her if I were you :D

Lovely is not a word i would use to describe her ;) :D

moneypenny20 Nov 29th 2006 7:13 am

Lovely is not a word i would use to describe her ;) :D

I was being polite :D I'd just about suffer my MIL for a trip like that, but over my dead body would I have brought hubby's MIL along for the ride ;) I congratulate you on your perseverance :cool: