Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Hi Cath,
there are loads of lovely places around brissy....its too hard to decide where for sure but thinking of sunshine coast around maroochydore maybe but we changed our minds most days depending on where we were! lol.

Sorry I got your text about elljay too late to meet up with her. will send her an email.
Dont think she will mind...she has the kettle on waiting for us to pop over for a brew when we eventually get over. x
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:56 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Day 9

Decided to treat the kids to a trip to Sea World today on the Gold coast. (Well i think it was more of treat for Jon really!) The weather once again was excellent!

Although we arrived at 10.15 and the queues weren't too long - we didn't actually get into the park until gone 11am. Very slow going through the pay booths wouldn't like to queue there in the summer holidays or at weekends!

Anyway I am pleased to say it was well worth the wait! Jons mum wanted to watch some water ski show that I would rather have not seen but there you go....an hour wasted (in my opinion). The kids loved the animals there. We stopped for a coffee and donuts mid morning before checking out the polar bear (could only see one) which I think was asleep, the sea lions and the dolphins. Jasmine wanted to do the interactive experience with the dolphins and we went to sign her in as soon as we arrived at the park. Unfortuantely all the places had been booked and I think pre booked. Just might be worth checking before you go if you wanted to do anything like this - jasmine was quite upset about it.

We made our way to the Shark Bay...which was mine and jons favourite bit. They were fantastic! massive and really scarey. hope my photos come out I think I got some good ones!

As it was really hot we decided to go for a swim at the water park bit. the kids had a great time there and didn't want to come out but we needed to get something to eat. We went and had fish and chips at the tavern that overlooked the dolphin nursery. We then let the kids go on some of the rides before getting the cable car back to the entrance to go home.

All in all an excellent day out, well worth a visit and good value for money (although I can't remember what we paid exactly).

Once back at the Gateway the kids went straight to the pool, they can't get enough of it there. Tonight there was another torrential downpour just to make us feel at home!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

'lovely blue jellyfish'... Do try to avoid them.

Glad you're having a fabulous time.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:58 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Dont think she will mind...she has the kettle on waiting for us to pop over for a brew when we eventually get over. x
lets hope its not too long cath now eh?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:59 pm
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by iPom
'lovely blue jellyfish'... Do try to avoid them.

Glad you're having a fabulous time.

ah ha! my do not touch instincts were right then?

thanks - we had a really great time.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to all

Day 7

Well didn't it just chuck it down all day today!
Torrential rain. But that didn't stop us going out and looking around. (used to the rain here in Manchester! )

We decided to have another look at Cleveland and had lunch at Raby Bay harbour (the sun came out for that bit!) We then drove around Ormiston and Wellington Point ...again lovely places that I could see myself living there. We then drove up to Manly past its gorgeous harbour and on to Wynnum. The kids started moaning about us driving around all the time at this point so we headed home for an evening indoors.

Day 8 (week 2 now) are you bored yet?

Decided to take a drive up to Mount Coo-Ta today. No more rain, lovely clear skies and 28 degrees. Found it quite ok, thanks to the street guide given to us by east coast rentals. We drove up to the top of the mountain to the look out point...(actually I say we, but Jon did all the driving because I forgot to take my driving license with me. Jon thinks I did this on purpose, but honestly I didn't!).

Now this is definately well worth a visit if you go to Brisbane. The views are stunning and you definately need your cameras for this. Took lots of photos. There is a cafe and a lovely restaurant at the top of the mountain so you won't go hungry.

Not quite sure why but we had a walk around and found a sign to follow the aboriginal trail. The walk was about a mile and we sort of just headed off in search of the waterfall. Well there we were walking through this bushland me in my flip flops on my guard for snakes and other nasty critters. It was tough going especially as jons mum had a bad knee. Anyway we were keen to see this waterfall.......

After walking for about 45 minutes we came to what I think was supposed to be the waterfall. Much to our amazement and I really don't know why.....

....the water fall didn't exsist despite the torrential rain the day before. Well I found this quite funny, but jons mum wasn't amused! So off we trundled back which was mainly uphills and steps and the temperature about 30 degrees! Jons mum was disgusted that we had passed so many joggers and power walkers and they hadn't told us that the water fall had dried up. (Going on holiday with jons mum was an experience in itself. She wanted to know why surfers paradise beach didn't have sun beds and umbrellas on it???
Oh - and best of all why couldn't she get an English newspaper in Oz).

When we got out of the trail we went back up to the lookout and had lunch in the cafe. After lunch we drove down to the Thomas Brisbane Planetarium and Botanical gardens. It was quite late in the afternoon when we arrived so had a quick look around. the kids again were chasing the bloody lizards around the garden. We had a quick look round the japanese garden before heading back. I wanted to go back to the botanical gardens another day, but we didn't get time. Definately worth a look if you can.

excellent post loved reading it
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:13 pm
Living the Dream!

Day 10 - Melbourne Cup Day

We bought a lottery ticket from the weekend and hadn't checked it so set off to the shops to see if we might be aussie millionaires! No luck though!

We picked up a newspaper to check out the runners for the melbourne cup. Back at Gateway Jons mum and the kids were in the pool (again) and we all picked our horses sat round the pool. We were told by the very nice man in the shop that we could put a bet on at the Glen Hotel which is near by, so off we went, me and jon in our shorts and T-shirts to this hotel to put on the bet.

Well talk about feel out of place.....when we got there it was heaving with everyone (well ladies) dressed up in posh frocks with hats and fascinators like they were going to royal ascot.....and then me in my shorts and T shirts.

We quickly put on our bets and decided that the Glen Hotel was the place to be to watch the melbourne cup. We rang ahead for jons mum to get the kids out the pool and get changed so we could spend the afternoon at the pub. Me and jon did a quick dash to westpac bank to cash more travellers cheques and all the bank cashiers were wearing fancy hats....it was really lovely.

After a quick change by us all we rang for a taxi and off we went to join the crowds. (as in rome etc....) We managed to find one last remaining table, ordered some food and watched the race! Unfortunately my horse came no where. Jons mums horse came 3rd and she was so pleased to have won. Funnily jon had only put it on to win...much to her annoyance! lol.

Anyway the kids liked it at Glen as it had a little room with free playstation games so that kept them amused! They made friends with some aussie children and everyone had a great time. There was a lovely atmosphere and considering everyone had been drinking all day there was no trouble. We just chilled out drinking jugs of beer and listening to the live music. We eventually left about 9pm. I think we were finally getting over the jet lag now. This was one of my favourite days in Oz.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

ah ha! my do not touch instincts were right then?

thanks - we had a really great time.
I've just caught up and realised you're back. Hope the little one doesn't keep you up with the jetlag.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:22 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

We want more, come on Jackie. Reminds me of when we went to Sea World, the polar Bear was asleep then too.

Looking at stopping at the Gateway next year, so interested in how you found it.

Holiday with Jons mum sounds lovely
Joex
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:27 pm
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
We want more, come on Jackie. Reminds me of when we went to Sea World, the polar Bear was asleep then too.

Looking at stopping at the Gateway next year, so interested in how you found it.

Holiday with Jons mum sounds lovely
Joex
Hi Joe,

maybe that polar bear wasn't a real one then?
Can't fault the Gateway, we thought it was excellent. Very quiet there, had all the amenities that we needed, very clean and close to the motorways so good for getting around. Would definatley recommend it to people.

holiday with jons mum thats another story in itself! :scared:
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:29 pm
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by iPom
I've just caught up and realised you're back. Hope the little one doesn't keep you up with the jetlag.
he went back to school this morning. he's tucked up in bed now but I have a feeling he might wake up about 3am
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:29 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great. Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of the adventure. Maybe theres a new thread for Jons mum!

Joex
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:35 pm
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Thats great. Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of the adventure. Maybe theres a new thread for Jons mum!

Joex
err...I might give that one a miss Joe - if you don't mind!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:48 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

Hi Mrs JFW, glad you are back and so glad you enjoyed your reccie, it's making great reading can't wait for the next instalment.

We went to Sea World as well but the polar bear was awake and it was amazing - got some great pics, sorry you didnt see him/her.

So come on lets hear the rest
Clairex
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:52 pm
Living the Dream!

Day 11

Ok plans for today were to head back to the Planetarium, have a better look around the botanical gardens and head back up to mount coo ta for sunset.

The weather started off ok, about 25 degrees and sunny. I thought we were going to make an early start but jons mum decided she wanted to go shopping. Jon asked her if she would leave it til later but she didn't want to, so we thought we might as well do some shopping ourselves so off we went to the supermarket. By the time we were finished it was lunchtime...so much for the early start.

By the time we got to the planetarium it was about 2pm and the weather had clouded over. The planetarium wasn't open until 3pm so we went off to the lakeside restaurant for something to eat. Its a lovely restaraunt with only a handful of people there but jons mum wasn't happy with the table we were offered (even though I said it was ok for us). She said there were better views from other tables! (sharp bite of my tongue was needed again!).

Anyway the food was lovely and the portions huge. I had gourmet sausages and mash. If anyone has eaten here and knows what the sausages were made of I'd be interested to know. I have a feeling I might have eaten kangaroo, they had a very rich strange taste. Unfortunately the chef had gone home and the waitress didn't normally work there so didn't know....perhaps that was a good thing really.

The lizards were out again in full force much to the kids delight. After the meal we went to the planetarium to watch "passport to the universe" which was erm.. 'interesting'. I wanted to look around the gardens but when we came out it had been chucking it down with rain. As the weather was not good we just headed home. Had our first sighting of the ugly cane toad today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.