Reload this Page >

Mr Mover and anyone else ??

Wikiposts

Mr Mover and anyone else ??

Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr Mover and anyone else ??

This is a shipping question for Mr Mover or anyone else who can help.

As part of our background investigations into moving to Oz I got quotes from a number of the usual shipping companies who quoted for packing, shipping and delivering our belongings from Scotland to Oz. These quotes were from £2500 to £3000 for a 20ft container.

I also spoke with a freight forwarder about the cost of shipping a 20ft the same distance but doing the packing and loading myself. They will pick up the container from our home and deliver it to an address in Oz. I have access to a loads of boxes and good quality packing material as well as experience of packing stuff to go round the world. The qoute for this was half the usual suspects.

The questions I have are :

How will the customs view this shipment - as it has been packed by the owner?
What issues can I expect clearing customs?
How detailed will I have to make the manifest?
What about insurance?

Can you help as this will save us big bucks.

REGDS

Ken
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:44 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Mover and anyone else ??

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
This is a shipping question for Mr Mover or anyone else who can help.

As part of our background investigations into moving to Oz I got quotes from a number of the usual shipping companies who quoted for packing, shipping and delivering our belongings from Scotland to Oz. These quotes were from £2500 to £3000 for a 20ft container.

I also spoke with a freight forwarder about the cost of shipping a 20ft the same distance but doing the packing and loading myself. They will pick up the container from our home and deliver it to an address in Oz. I have access to a loads of boxes and good quality packing material as well as experience of packing stuff to go round the world. The qoute for this was half the usual suspects.

The questions I have are :

How will the customs view this shipment - as it has been packed by the owner?
What issues can I expect clearing customs?
How detailed will I have to make the manifest?
What about insurance?

Can you help as this will save us big bucks.

REGDS

Ken
sorry ,i have taken so long to answer ,been busy, getting to your point 1/ customs and Aqis[quarantine] ,will probably look at your shipment ,with a little more scrutiny, due to it being self loaded. 2/ you will require a customs broker to clear your goods on this side,the paper work involved ,has to be accurate as the slightest ,hicup can cause delays in clearing ,you will need to produce an accurate inventory of goods ,high lighting any products or items that will be of intrest to AQIS. 3/you can arrange insurance through the shipping company,but will probably be exspensive as, most insurers dont like PBO [packed by owner ] jobs, most removers are self insurers adds to the profits if you dont get a claim. what you are doing Ken is not impossible but can be hard work...good luck,, have a look here www.affa.gov.au ...... MM
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Mr Mover.

Knowing what we are shipping there should be no import problems...so I plan on doing it myself.

Need to get an import agent organised in Melbourne...should not be too big a problem.

Thanks,

Ken and Nel
Old Sep 6th 2003, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Suggest you check how long the container will be available for loading. We were advised that it's normally only there for about 3 hours.

Could be time to find out who your friends are.