Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mozzies In Ozzie

Mozzies In Ozzie

Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mozzies In Ozzie

From the snippets Ive read it sounds like the Mozzies in Ozzie come from Jurrassic park. Do they attack during the day or only when the sun starts to go down. Are they in suburban areas as well. Do you put up with them or slap on the repellent. Are they bad in all areas or just some places. And what about the horse flies - the big ones that nip. Are they still around? Graham
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the mozzies are around all day, all year! Here in Mandurah they start mozzie-spraying at the beginning of spring to reduce the numbers and carry on all through the summer. So over the last couple of weeks as the weather is warming up, we have noticed more mozzies than usual, but it shouldn't get any worse. We live in a suburban area, I suspect it would be worse living near to a lake or river. If we plan to be outside for a while then we spray with repellant, you can put it on your clothes or skin, but we don't always remember. I've been told that after a couple of years here you should build up some immunity to bites, I hope so! Mainly we've just found them a minor irritant, although we would steer clear of buying a house in the areas near to where there are the Ross River virus carrying ones. Also we have to give our dog daily heartworm tablets, this is a fatal disease spread by mosquitoes. Yes, there are horse-flies here, but they call them something else, I've forgotten what it is!
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

They aren't a problem in Bondi. Maybe they don't like smelly backpackers. One evening in Batlow (in the old fruit picking days) I remember not putting socks on at sunset. 30 minutes later my ankles were swollen with mozzie bites. Hundreds of the buggers.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:42 am
WBB

i can remember travelling through the cape york peninsula and being attacked by wave after wave of kamikaze mozzies, they were literally dive bombing me and only me nobody else got bitten so they must of liked my soft pale welsh skin, i ended up diving in the swimming pool fully clothed to get away from the critters.

Old Sep 12th 2003, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought they were pretty bad here until I discovered that one of our neighbours teenage kids was spawning mosquito larva outside in a bucket for a science experiment. I countered with my Oasis at 6 o’clock in the morning experiment. Problem solved.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 9:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ross River fever

http://www.mhcs.health.nsw.gov.au/he...ions/4430.html

And you thought they were harmles bites.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, didn’t read it … noticed the Sexual Health page and I was hooked
Old Sep 12th 2003, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've never found them a problem in Brisbane at all nor virtually anywhere else in Australia and I've traveled around extensively. maybe is you sit on a river bank at night you might have a problem.

Worse place I've found for mozzies and sandflies was West coast of South Island around Greymouth. Cross the passes to Christchurch no problem.

Cannot remember the last time I had to put mozzie repellant on, it's at least 6 months ago. No problem at all around the GC and SC beaches during the day.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

This confirms my theory that some people are just naturally repellent to the female mosquito. Funny how its only the females that bite. Unfortunately, I just have to hint at showing some flesh and they are on me like Madonna at an MTV awards show.