Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mozzies, midges and jellyfish on Cairns northern beaches

Mozzies, midges and jellyfish on Cairns northern beaches

Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

aurantia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mozzies, midges and jellyfish on Cairns northern beaches

I am thinking of moving to the Cairns northern beaches (Palm Cove etc.).

Could anyone let me know if there is much of a problem with mozzies or midges and if this becomes a nuisance only in the wet season.

Also, I hear that stinger nets don't keep out the small irukandji jellyfish (although I've read that they are trialling finer nets) but are the authorities also reliable in issuing warnings whenver the jellyfish are in the vicinity.

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:58 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mozzies, midges and jellyfish on Cairns northern beaches

Originally Posted by aurantia
I am thinking of moving to the Cairns northern beaches (Palm Cove etc.).

Could anyone let me know if there is much of a problem with mozzies or midges and if this becomes a nuisance only in the wet season.

Also, I hear that stinger nets don't keep out the small irukandji jellyfish (although I've read that they are trialling finer nets) but are the authorities also reliable in issuing warnings whenver the jellyfish are in the vicinity.

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Stinger nets are only stinger resistant and offer little protection against irukandji which are tiny, even with the stinger suits people do sometimes get stung on their faces. I stick to my pool as there have been a few too many crocodiles for my liking up here in the north There is a problem with mozzies and there was a serious outbreak of Dengue fever so apply copious amounts of tropical strength bug spray. That said, the good far outweighs the bad and don't let a few nuisances put you off.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Dengue is already a problem this year & wet season has barely begun!
As for the jellyfish, as previous poster said, stinger nets offer no protection against irikanji & you must adhere to the life guard notices. My advice is to rent/buy somewhere with a pool!
On the plus side, the climate is absolutely perfect for 9 months of the year. It's all give & take in this country!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Would agree, lived in Perth for 18 months and were a little apprehensive of the move, But we love it here, Yes my other half gets eaten even with the bug stuff, but the weather, the views, the rainforest all make it worth while.

And as for the pool get one! we are in a house without one, and tied into a 12 months lease only got another 9 months to go!
Pool needed!

Hope the move goes well.