Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mozzies in Brisbane

Mozzies in Brisbane

Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:40 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default Mozzies in Brisbane

How bad are the mozzies in Brisbane? I've been told not to live near the river, 'cos you get bitten alive (and they do seem to like me) Any areas where they are worse than others?

Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:52 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mozzies in Brisbane

After dusk: cover up; use insect repellent;avoid stagnant water; or stay indoors with the windows closed. Mozzies are a fact of life in Australia, you could get bitten almost anywhere. If you're out doors near plants, grass etc I'd put insect repellent on then too if you are particularly susceptible as other insects could bite you too.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

I've been told that eating Vegemite helps keep them away!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hoots nan
I've heard that but it was Marmite not Vegemite!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wilso16
I've heard that but it was Marmite not Vegemite!
Apply either generously to exposed skin in an anti-clockwise direction

WW
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hoots nan
Its the vitamin B i believe that is supposed to help.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:29 am
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Caroline B
How bad are the mozzies in Brisbane? I've been told not to live near the river, 'cos you get bitten alive (and they do seem to like me) Any areas where they are worse than others?

Caroline, I get eaten alive. Nasty big septic and hot welts. Just use your head. Dont be outside just as you are loosing light and for an hour after (when the females come and feed) and when you do go out spray yourself. If I am outside at home I wear my long linen trousers and long sleeved shirt and burn sandalwood sticks. You will get bitten, but I have not been bitten a quarter as much as I thought I would because of following these rules. I came out with one of those little head nets for the jungle! but have not used it I also take vitam B (all b's in one) and found that I react better now if i take it daily, than when I first got here.

I am getting a couple of mozzie drowners when I get my house!!!!

Vics x
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Gin and Tonic works wonders for us here in Spain, goes down a treat, its the Quninne in the Tonic apparently that the mozzies dont like once it enters your blood stream! so you dont need the Gin but T is a little boring on its own G&T sounds better and after a couple you wont care less anyway Seriously though, my freind in Perth buys "Jungle Juice" its a natural cactus spray and she says its great.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:56 pm
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulainspain
Gin and Tonic works wonders for us here in Spain, goes down a treat, its the Quninne in the Tonic apparently that the mozzies dont like once it enters your blood stream! so you dont need the Gin but T is a little boring on its own G&T sounds better and after a couple you wont care less anyway Seriously though, my freind in Perth buys "Jungle Juice" its a natural cactus spray and she says its great.

Thats the one prevention I have never heard of but will certainly enjoy trying!

Vics x
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:14 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jimmy Cliff
Thats the one prevention I have never heard of but will certainly enjoy trying!

Vics x
Thanks all for the advice -
I do have my secret stash of Avon 'woodland fresh' moisturizer that apparently keeps 'em off. Last time I was in Oz, I reacted really horribly - so I'll keep drinking the G&T
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Thanks all for the advice -
I do have my secret stash of Avon 'woodland fresh' moisturizer that apparently keeps 'em off. Last time I was in Oz, I reacted really horribly - so I'll keep drinking the G&T
I'll drink to that, cheers
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

It tends to be the sandflys once you are near water. As for Mozzies after you have lived in one area for a while you seem to get bitten less I find. Vitamin B 1 def supposed to lower the bite rate as is yeast in general.

They reckon you should stand your plants in sand so you don't get pools of water under them when you water as well.

I don't go in for lots of sprays just stay in doors at times recommended or swat them before they bite you.