Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mozzies in Brisbane

Mozzies in Brisbane

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice
Default Mozzies in Brisbane

Can anyone tell me, if there is a big mozzie problem in Brisbane because of the humidity, why is there no Lanais over the pools, like they have in Florida. Every house in Florida has a lanai over their pool, but I have not see one on any property over in Oz???

Lanai is best described as a metal framed building which looks like a greenhouse - with no glass just a fine metal mesh.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I don't find mozzies a problem at all in Brisbane. I go to the public open air pools (don't have or want my own too much trouble) and cannot remember last time I was bitten, it just don't seem to be a problem. And I spend more time sunbaking around the pool than swimming in it.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:53 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find mozzies a problem either. However, my wife still has the marks on her legs from last summer and couldn't sleep due to the itching, even with a mozzie net over the bed and taking various tablets creams etc. As soon as it goes to dusk the mozzies will be out in force, if you are lucky like me you will not notice, some however, have a terrible time.

Those net buildings over pools are available but I've never seen one, very uncommon I would think.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Net building would just rip to shreds in the storms here, not to mention blow away dangerours I should imagine too.

Mozzies, it takes one bite to make you sick, take precautions. Obviously tho less of a problem in the City than a leafy suburb tho.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mozzies are only a problem in stagnant, unchloriated water. They dont breed in swimming pools if properly chlorinated & maintained, the chlorine in the water would kill the wrigglers.

In general they are mainly a problem in areas where there are creeks that dont run & stagnant water &/or alot of vegetation, like bushland areas. Unfortunately quite a bit of Brisbane is like that, but certainly not all, so it is possible to find places in Brisbane with very few mozzies if you want. In those places they only breed in the water in the bottom of flower pots etc. Good luck!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I expected to find I was a real mozzie magnet, cos anything like that over in the UK loves me - cat fleas think its Christmas when I come along! So I was a bit wary of eating outside ( and I don't want to use Mozzie spray if I can help it in case it triggers off my eczema) but it seems that mozzies are fussy cos they never came near me.
Our friends had some sort of lamp that attracts them and then gives a cracking sound as it fries them! She reckoned she gets bitten a lot, so I suppose they like some people and not others, and you have to experiment til you find something that repels them.