Mozzies

Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:56 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mozzies

A couple months back there was a thread on here re mozzies....and a link to a website for a little yellow click gadget that heps stop bites itching.....I got one of them and they are fab...but I cant fine the bloody website to get another lol

Anyone remember???
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mozzies

Originally Posted by biggy
A couple months back there was a thread on here re mozzies....and a link to a website for a little yellow click gadget that heps stop bites itching.....I got one of them and they are fab...but I cant fine the bloody website to get another lol

Anyone remember???

I got one too, and I agree they are fab. I think the site was www.hotofftheshelf.com

Since I have been using it I am also getting bitten less, not sure if it down to it or just good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:15 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Since I have been using it I am also getting bitten less, not sure if it down to it or just good luck.[/QUOTE]

Might be a load of c*** but when we were on holiday in Corfu,it was recommended by an English shop owner to avoid getting bit eat loads of marmite.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:28 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mand8002
I got one too, and I agree they are fab. I think the site was www.hotofftheshelf.com

Since I have been using it I am also getting bitten less, not sure if it down to it or just good luck.

thanks for that ur a star.........I dont seem to get bit as much either
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:54 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lor

Might be a load of c*** but when we were on holiday in Corfu,it was recommended by an English shop owner to avoid getting bit eat loads of marmite. [/QUOTE]

That is correct - mozzies dont like vitamin B rich blood, so take vitamin b capsules or marmite in jar-size doses ;-)

Im not sure how it works - as in wether they bite you first and feel queezy so pull out and fly off without injecting the venom into your blood stream, or wether your body smells differently or something but they definitely dnot like it.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:11 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Mozzies

You may think I'm mad here but I am a nurse... :scared: .

We have the clicker/electric shock thing but doesn't seem to work as well as it said on the packet.

My tip for bites is...buy Collgate Total Tooth paste ....has to be the Total as that is the one with the most anti-bacterial/anti-gum disease stuff in. Put dab of colgate on the fly bite and the itch goes in seconds and doesn't come back for hours. The old fashioned tube sort not the new pump up green and white sort.

First tried this in desperation in the outback where limited supplies available....after thought about it and decided quite sensible really as the anti-bacterial part etc. probably lowers the infection risk as never had infected bite since starting to use it. Don't know if the mint helps as well or not.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:17 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

See also

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335190

regarding killing the little buggers before they can bite you.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spalen
Might be a load of c*** but when we were on holiday in Corfu,it was recommended by an English shop owner to avoid getting bit eat loads of marmite.
That is correct - mozzies dont like vitamin B rich blood, so take vitamin b capsules or marmite in jar-size doses ;-)

Im not sure how it works - as in wether they bite you first and feel queezy so pull out and fly off without injecting the venom into your blood stream, or wether your body smells differently or something but they definitely dnot like it.[/QUOTE]

Would Vegemite work as well???
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia

Im not sure how it works - as in wether they bite you first and feel queezy so pull out and fly off without injecting the venom into your blood stream, or wether your body smells differently or something but they definitely dnot like it.

Would Vegemite work as well??? [/QUOTE]

Vegemite has 70mg of vitamin B per 100g and Marmite has 172mg per 100g, so Vegemite would work, but probably not as well.

Notice on the Wikepedia site it says the following about Marmite in regard to mosquito control:

An urban legend suggests that the consumption of Marmite can ward against mosquitos, the reasoning being that the skin gives off a scent, unnoticeable to humans, but which mosquitos find unappealing, or that the vitamin B wards off the flying pests. British travellers to tropical locations sometimes take Marmite with them to eat during the trip, although there is no proven basis for the belief.

The root of this belief might have been its use during the 1934-35 Malaria Epidemic in Sri Lanka:

"The two things given to each patient were a bottle of the standard quinine mixture and Marmite rolled into the form of vederala’s pills. The latter was said to have been the idea of the late Dr. Mary Ratnam and to have been more effective than the quinine itself, such was the degree of starvation among the peasantry. The Suriya Mal workers were amazed to see how this little Marmite revived them and put some life back into them.'
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

We took one of these zappers on holiday to Florida, hubby wouldn't use it because he said it was too sore . He's never lived it down - wimp lol!
TJ