Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mozzie Bite Effects?

Mozzie Bite Effects?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:31 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mozzie Bite Effects?

Originally Posted by biggy
Shingles is very sore and highly contagious , shingles also blister up and form scabs(thats how I know mine wasnt shingles) Have you been near anybody who has chickenpox?
Well the pain is a very dull ache down one side of my back and the Pharmacist couldn't get rid of me quick enough. I've had chickenpox when I was 5 (I'm now 34) but no-one I've met in my first month in Sydney has admitted having chickenpox. I'll be gutted if it's confirmed tomorrow.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:40 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Comer
Well the pain is a very dull ache down one side of my back and the Pharmacist couldn't get rid of me quick enough. I've had chickenpox when I was 5 (I'm now 34) but no-one I've met in my first month in Sydney has admitted having chickenpox. I'll be gutted if it's confirmed tomorrow.

mine was a dull ache down the side the lumps were on and was very painful if i lent against it, was vsery sore for about 2 days but they have almost gone now. Good Luck tomorro....shingles tend to clump together in a kind of triangular shape, some people also feel very unwell, just depends. Make sure you dont touch the area, and make sure u have seperate towels and bed linen from anybody else just incase it is shingles
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:45 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

You may feel slightly unwell, and develop a localised area of pain and tenderness a few days or sometimes up to two weeks before the rash appears. The rash starts off as red spots, which quickly turn into blisters. They always affect only one side of the body (left or right) and never cross the midline. This is because they come out on the area of skin which is supplied by one particular nerve.

The rash may affect any part of the body, including head and limbs. It may thus appear as a band around one side of the chest or abdomen, or down an arm or leg. It may affect the head, and when it affects the upper cheek or the side of the forehead it may also affect the eye. You should certainly see your doctor if you have shingles affecting the side of the head, and especially if it seems to affect the tip of your nose or the eye itself.

It is usually a very painful rash, and typically people can't bear clothes touching the affected area.

The blisters burst and crust over, usually within a week and the area slowly settles, sometimes leaving pale scars. The pain may settle as quickly as the rash, but unfortunately some people are left with pain affecting that area for many months or even years (Post herpetic neuralgia).

Most people are surprised by how ill they feel with shingles. This seems out of proportion with the extent of the skin involved. There is a general debility and exhaustion, sometimes with aches and pains and sometimes a mild fever. Depression is often a feature of shingles, as in many other viruses. You may need up to three weeks off work

The pattern of the rash, in the form of blisters usually clinches the diagnosis, but a sample of the fluid from the blisters, or of blood can confirm it. It is unlikely that your doctor will need to do any tests.

Shingles is caused by a reactivation of the dormant virus in the nerves of people who have previously had chickenpox. As as a result shingles can unfortunately occur more than once.

You may have further attacks of shingles, especially at times when you are run down. These attacks may affect a different part of the body.

Treatment
The main thing is to take regular pain relief (an analgesic), possibly even better an anti-inflammatory pain killer (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), as long as these do not upset you or interact with any medications you may be taking. In addition calamine lotion can help to soothe the area.

Your doctor may want to prescribe a specific anti-viral agent, possibly in the form of treatment to be applied, or in the form of tablets. These are more likely to be used in someone whose eye is affected, or whose immune system is adversely affected by drugs or illness.

If any of the blisters become infected with ordinary germs (bacteria) the area becomes more red and sore (inflamed) and may take longer to heal. The doctor may treat this with antibiotics, in the form of a cream, or by mouth.