Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving: where to start

Moving: where to start

Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Charming123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving: where to start

Hi, decision made, we are coming to Australia. I'm hoping that I can find people who can help us to work through the planning to make the move easier. I would be grateful to hear how others have gone about it and your experiences, thanks
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving: where to start

Can you get a visa? That’s usually step 1.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The first question is do you have visas? If not, can you tell us a bit about yourselves:
Ages, occupations, qualifications, work experience?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
If not, can you tell us a bit about yourselves:
Ages, occupations, qualifications, work experience?

It's a bit like Blind date..
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Hi, I haven't applied for a visa yet. I am an academic and trained nurse so hoping that securing work will be relatively easy. I have a 3 year old so advice around childcare and access to schools further down the line would be appreciated. I wandered if I should be contacting universities and hospitals directly to apply for positions, or is going through an agency a better option?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charming123
Hi, I haven't applied for a visa yet. I am an academic and trained nurse so hoping that securing work will be relatively easy. I have a 3 year old so advice around childcare and access to schools further down the line would be appreciated. I wandered if I should be contacting universities and hospitals directly to apply for positions, or is going through an agency a better option?
To be able to move to Australia, you do need to be able to secure a visa. Having family for me would mean one of the permanent visas, but everyone's risk tolerance is different.

For all skilled visas though, you would need an occupation in demand. The following link can guide you to the relevant lists - Lists of eligible skilled occupations

The PR visas would be 189, 190 or employer sponsored 187 / 187 . The 489 is a temporary visa with pathway to permanency.

EDIT - for nursing, you would need to be degree qualified.
457 visas are the most common employer sponsored visas - if you lose your job you have 30 days to leave the country or find another employer - not a visa I would choose.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Nov 14th 2017 at 8:43 am.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks. I have had a quick look at visas and attempted an expression of interest filing. I am aged 46 and therefore above the stipulated age limit. Does this mean that I need to secure sponsorship from an employer prior to applying for a visa?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have had a quick look at visas and attempted an expression of interest filing. I am aged 46 and therefore above the stipulated age limit. Does this mean that I need to secure sponsorship from an employer prior to applying for a visa?
What does your partner do and are they under 45?

Other than that, at 46 I think all permanent visas are out, and the temporary 457 visa doesn't have a definite route to permanency. But if you are open to that risk, you should be looking for employers who might sponsor you. I know that some nurses in the past have managed to secure sponsorship but not sure how things are at the moment. Not sure what you do in academia, but that might also be an option I guess. Do you have any contacts in Australia?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:10 am

Actually, just looking you might have an option if sponsored by an Australian University as Faculty head or lecturer - Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

You still need to find a sponsor though
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
What does your partner do and are they under 45?

Other than that, at 46 I think all permanent visas are out, and the temporary 457 visa doesn't have a definite route to permanency. But if you are open to that risk, you should be looking for employers who might sponsor you. I know that some nurses in the past have managed to secure sponsorship but not sure how things are at the moment. Not sure what you do in academia, but that might also be an option I guess. Do you have any contacts in Australia?
It's just me and my son moving. I do have family in Sydney who I'm sure will help in anyway. I've yet to discuss my plans with them
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:22 am

It's just me and my son moving. I do have family in Sydney who I'm sure will help in anyway. I've yet to discuss my plans with them
Not wishing to pry, but if your son's father is around, you would need his permission for your son to move - assuming you can get over the hurdle of finding someone to sponsor you. That could be permanent if sponsored on a 186 as a university lecturer but finding a sponsor could be an insurmountable hurdle.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:34 am
Just Joined

No worries, his father supports the move. Yes, finding a university sponsor will be tricky. I think it will be less of a hurdle if I explore the nursing route and once I am there make links with the universities. There are many academic positions advertised regularly although it would be better if I have completed my PhD before applying for any of these. I should have completed by summer 2018 and ideally will have secured work and settled prior to my son starting compulsory ed. in Feb 2019
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:55 am

No worries, his father supports the move. Yes, finding a university sponsor will be tricky. I think it will be less of a hurdle if I explore the nursing route and once I am there make links with the universities. There are many academic positions advertised regularly although it would be better if I have completed my PhD before applying for any of these. I should have completed by summer 2018 and ideally will have secured work and settled prior to my son starting compulsory ed. in Feb 2019
Hopefully someone can help with finding a sponsored position as a nurse. You will need to be a degree qualified nurse to register with AHPRA though. You might be able to find some useful info in our nursing section - Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations - British Expats