Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to WA, and scared (reposted)

Moving to WA, and scared (reposted)

Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

homebody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to WA, and scared (reposted)

Hi all,

Am new at this posting thing, but am giving it a go in order to feel more part of the immigrating experience, and hopefully pick up some tips and info on the way!
We are heading (possibly/probably) to Perth and surrounds. My husband is a teacher, and I am currently on mat leave after having my second daughter, but could previously be found working in an architectural practice . We hail from the London area, and are hoping for a better, less stressful life for our family. Would love to hear from young families who have recently made the move (particularly to WA), or are planning to , and how they have found things...
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to WA, and scared (reposted)

Hi there

We made the move 7 months ago. All pretty good so far. Didn't enjoy Christmas but Summer holidays are over so from today all playgroups etc are back which is good.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:53 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by homebody
Hi all,

Am new at this posting thing, but am giving it a go in order to feel more part of the immigrating experience, and hopefully pick up some tips and info on the way!
We are heading (possibly/probably) to Perth and surrounds. My husband is a teacher, and I am currently on mat leave after having my second daughter, but could previously be found working in an architectural practice . We hail from the London area, and are hoping for a better, less stressful life for our family. Would love to hear from young families who have recently made the move (particularly to WA), or are planning to , and how they have found things...
What exactly are you scared of?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Does your Husband have a job lined up? As teaching jobs in or near Perth can be difficult to obtain, depending on what subject he teaches?
We're just moved out to WA, my Mrs is a Teacher, but we're a very very long way from Perth, as there is supposed to be a surplus of teachers wanting to work in and around Perth.
Finding it pretty hot at the moment, thank god for air con. Only been here just over 3 weeks and not yet into the home we'll be living in for the next few years, so can't say I personally am in anything more than holiday mode.
Can't say it's any less stressful here so far, have lots to organise etc etc, but least the weather is better and all the people we've come across so far have been helpful and friendly.
Any specific questions I'll try to answer, if you can think of any
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:38 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

We moved from London 1.5 years ago, with a young family. Best thing we've ever done. Perth is fantastic. So good to be able to spend time outdoors with the children. Lots of greats parks, beaches, etc etc
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice

We are hoping to move mid year to Perth. We are a young family of 3 (youngest being 3) and are making to move for a more active outdoor lifestyle!

II can safely say that qwe too are pretty nervous but when you are relocating your life i think it is "normal".

When are you planning on moving?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

On the news on the radio tonight they were talking about teaching. There are very few positions available in WA. They said all positions are just about full. Of the 1200 graduates last year 500 have found employment and they expect the additional 700 to be in employment within this year.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:46 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Welcome to the forum.

We moved to Mandurah, WA from Essex/London 3 and 1/2 Years ago, it is without a doubt the best thing we could have done. We both do the same jobs as we did in the UK (I am a teacher, Mr Ace is an Optimisation Technician-oil industry). We have done things here that we never even dreamed of, we spend so much time together doing things as a family and we are just so happy. We took a chance and left good jobs, a lovely home and what most would consider a very good lifestlye but the stress was too much and the family time was too little. We have a great lifestyle and stress is a thing of the past.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

We are planning to be out there in September - our visa runs out on 5 Sept, and it is a matter of now or never! My husband teaches English and History, and like most male teachers in the UK, does some sports with the kids too. He is a qualified high school teacher, but teaches ages 8-13 here. He will be moving out in early-mid July, hopefully with a job lined up to go to - or to start supply teaching. Our household will be sent out at the same time, so that hopefully by the time I get out there with our then 4 year old and 11 month old, we will have a place to stay, and the arrival of our belongings imminent.... Be interested to hear what you all did with youngsters and cots/highchairs etc before your stuff got over here - is this stuff that can easily be rented for a short while? One day I am so excited to be going, the next I feel anxious (I am a worrier by nature!) and concerned about job prospects for teachers. We have moved to a different country before, but when we were much younger and without the same responsibilities as now. Am fully expecting that there will be hard times ahead, but we are doing this for a better future for our family...
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

tonyandwendy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

we -me my wife and 2 daughters 6 & 9 moved to perth on a 457 visa last june and due to poor wages that you get on a 457 and most of all missing the family we are going back to the uk, perth offers a good life but we will never get used to not having our family in our lives for such long periods and i would ask anyone moving here to consider this carefully b4 taking the plunge.
there are loads more options open to people with permenent residency!

its sad but in our case home is where the heart is
good luck though
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Homebody,

Was your youngest included on your visa? Only because if your visa was granted before the birth of your youngest daughter, she may need her own visa. I don't wish to scare you but just wanted to make sure you had considered this.

We are moving out in May of this year. We are all set to go with many things to do before then.... the list is endless! We are heading to Tapping area as we have firends there already so will use that as a base to start. My husband is an electrician so can't comment on the job situation.

Being scared and having doubts is very normal! From one day to the next, I blow hot and cold. It really is quite difficult to keep up with myself! At the end of the day though this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and we are going to make a go of it. The worst that can happen is that you don't like and will move home. But as they say nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Best of luck with your move , i will post an update on here once we've taken the plunge, in the meantime though feel free to ask any questions you have and I am sure there will be someone on here to answer.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

tonyandwendy is an unknown quantity at this point

we were all granted the 457..its only been 7 months and everyone has said give it at least 2 years but it doesnt feel like home and i cant imagine it to be-but hey give it your best shot it works out gr8 for most people-you dont know unless you try!!
best of luck
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonyandwendy
we -me my wife and 2 daughters 6 & 9 moved to perth on a 457 visa last june and due to poor wages that you get on a 457 and most of all missing the family we are going back to the uk, perth offers a good life but we will never get used to not having our family in our lives for such long periods and i would ask anyone moving here to consider this carefully b4 taking the plunge.
there are loads more options open to people with permenent residency!

its sad but in our case home is where the heart is
good luck though
So sorry it didn't work out - family is a HUUUUGE thing, and I can fully understand that you want to be close to them. Things may be easier for us as we have no grandparents here. We are originally from South Africa, and they are all still living there. My sister lives here, and we are VERY close, but they are in the process of applying for visas, and should hopefully make the move next year (although not sure whether they will be going to WA - they need to go to where they can get jobs). Luckily we have PR... should we be looking elsewhere in OZ?

Janna and Nick, thanks for the advice - we are currently applying for our youngest's visa - wow, what a money making racket!!! Good luck with the move! Let us know how you get on!

Having an excited oz day today - helps hearing from people who have done/are doing the same thing on the forum. Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

So sorry it didn't work out - family is a HUUUUGE thing, and I can fully understand that you want to be close to them. Things may be easier for us as we have no grandparents here. We are originally from South Africa, and they are all still living there. My sister lives here, and we are VERY close, but they are in the process of applying for visas, and should hopefully make the move next year (although not sure whether they will be going to WA - they need to go to where they can get jobs). Luckily we have PR... should we be looking elsewhere in OZ?

Janna and Nick, thanks for the advice - we are currently applying for our youngest's visa - wow, what a money making racket!!! Good luck with the move! Let us know how you get on!

Having an excited oz day today - helps hearing from people who have done/are doing the same thing on the forum. Thanks everyone!
I am from South Africa too. Have a british hubby though! Funny how many of us there are about!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
I am from South Africa too. Have a british hubby though! Funny how many of us there are about!
Ha! We are Zimbos who moved here (West Sussex, UK) 10 years ago and are now going to end up in Perth!

Perth - where i hear that there are more Zimbos and Saffas than you can shake a stick at

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.